A Racehorse Of My Own

Bay Hawk has got his own little fan club already. The Portuguese barstaff/waiters from one of my local pubs clubbed together the last time Bay Hawk ran and won over £1400.00 on him and hopefully a few from the table at The JP McNamara dinner evidently won a few £'s last time too. Rory, if you speak to "Richard" ( I think you will remember him from the Paris trip) , please ask him if he put a bet on.

It's only just beginning to sink in that I now actually own BH. :unsure: I haven't paid my first bill for training fees yet, and it is only days away from his 2nd race. :D

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Nov 22 2006, 08:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Nov 22 2006, 08:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BrianH@Nov 20 2006, 09:50 PM
Is krizon going to Blackpool?
Erm, just a little further south...... [/b][/quote]
Not Cornwall ? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I see Fran Berry's on board. The bottom weight looks worryingly unexposed, but here's hoping for a good run and a safe return!

Edit: BH has been tipped by The Times, the Telegraph, The Independent and... um, The Star!

Edit: That's Bay Hawk, not Brian Hartigan...

Thanks, guys.

Look out for Cape Greco tomorrow at Kempton too. A lovely horse that has had his fair share of problems but hopefully they are all in the past now. I so want him to win for his owners.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Nov 22 2006, 08:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Nov 22 2006, 08:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BrianH@Nov 20 2006, 09:50 PM
Is krizon going to Blackpool?
Erm, just a little further south...... [/b][/quote]
Southport?

Is she not sunning herself with Mu ?

I was more than happy with that run, especially as there was prize money for 5th place which will cover some of today's racing expenses.

A very slow pace to start with which just didn't suit him at all. Bay Hawk is certainly no sprinter.

Jon is currently sunning herself somewhere a darn sight warmer than Lingfield. B)

Paul, I believe she is in Majorca, but I didn't want to say anything in case it was a secret. PLEASE don't tell anyone else. :)

Glad you weren't disappointed Kathy, because you're right about the pace - looking at his flat form it seems like it's the key for BH.

Before today he had 8 flat starts. The easiest way of judging what kind of pace these races were run at is to compare the winning horse's RPR to their Topspeed rating - the closer the Topspeed rating comes to the RPR, the better the pace was.

In chronological order, this comes out as:

Race 1: 16 lbs slow - BH finishes 3/16
Race 2: 37 lbs slow - BH finished 10/10
Race 3: 9 lbs slow - BH finished 4/15
Race 4: 74 lbs slow - BH finished 8/8
Race 5: 1 lb fast - BH finished 2/8
Race 6: 38 lbs slow - BH finished 5/8
Race 7: 41 lbs slow - BH finished 11/15
Race 8: 0lbs slow - BH finished 1/8

So, Bay Hawk's form figures in the 4 most evenly-run races:

And in the 4 with the slowest pace:

Today, the Topspeed figure has already been calculated at a paltry 20, which will be over 50lbs slower than the RPR.

Thanks for taking the time to put that up, Gareth. It certainly makes interesting reading.

For anyone interested, Cape Greko ran a good race also finishing in 5th position. Cape did absolutely nothing wrong (did get a crack over the head unfortunately during the race) but is definitely going the right way. I feel the jockey had a bit to do with today's result as I think, with a different jockey he could have won this race. Just my personal opinion. Perhaps, one to watch next time out.

I thought that Bay Hawk's fate was sealed in the first furlong . He didn't seem to settle and Nando's Dream had a soft lead. He ran well in the circumstances.

Has he ever tried to make the running Kathy ?

No, he hasn't Ardross. I might well mention it to Brendan as my other horse Gizzmo, when he won at 40/1 at Warwick, made all over a similar distance (on turf) and made me a small fortune. Unfortunately, in his next race at Epsom, he wasn't allowed to use the same tactics. The jockeys had decided to ride a tactical race which just didn't suit him.

The Warwick win still rates highly amongst best days out when one of my horses won - just because of the way the whole day panned out.

Apart from Balmacara (who at least squeaked a 4th place for us) every horse I have ever owned or part owned, has won at least once for me. From a betting point of view, Gizzmo won me the most in terms of betting money as he was trading at 80's on Betfair the day he won.

I'll be having chat with Brendan this week to see what we do next with Bay Hawk.

I would think that, if he ends up in a race where there's nothing likely to make the pace, you'd have absolutely nothing to lose if you let him make it himself.

It looks like we are going to try for a 2m race next! That should sort the men out from the boys! :D

Interesting - the only win that BH's half-brother, Killing Joke, managed was a 2m handicap on the AW at Wolverhampton, by 11 lengths! Then again, he was by Double Trigger, so you might expect he needed it :)

Do you want to hazzard a guess where we may be running, Gareth...???? :blink:

WOLVERHAMPTON :D

Winning by 11 lengths is just plain greedy and downright showing off. <_< A 2 length win would be far more respectable. B)

Back