Aig Irish Champion Hurdle

Whilst it was a great performance, does Sublimity now represent great value at 5/1 - 11/2? If he was as big as a bull in the Bula, what has he lost since his CH last year?

Add in Sizing Europe has performed best with slower ground conditions, and his tendency to jump like a chaser and I think there has been a slight overreaction.

I still think Blythe Knight has as good a chance as any. Very open, and I very much disagree with anyone who believes yesterday is one raced closed for Cheltenham.

Add in Sizing Europe has performed best with slower ground conditions, and his tendency to jump like a chaser and I think there has been a slight overreaction.

SE has won on Good ground though Andrew..would have won twice if not for falling. He has beaten a pretty good field jumping like a chaser as well.

I would rather have a horse that jumps like a chaser than one that hits hurdles.

I think you are looking for chinks that aren't there.

If you take the improvement he had shown before yesterday...then add teh improvement he showed yesterday...whats his next performance going to be???

He just had an exercise canter yesterday but still buried a field the ratings said he couldn't beat.

you don't see many rapidly improvers like this these days...

the CH is a formality bar a fall...there is nothing near the potential....imagine if he improves another 10lbs next run ...when he actually is asked a question.

Originally posted by eric c@Jan 28 2008, 07:20 AM
I hated the name Beef or Salmon also and it cost me because I never backed him.

Serious boost for our TTTF!!!--- :clap:
:laughing: Me too!! Awful name, and that added to his near-lack of a tail put me off him bigtime. In fact the tail did for me, pathetic I know [I'd be less sensitive these days :nuts: money matters]

Warbler, when I first encountered Sizing Africa and Sizing Europe on their visit to Newbury, I had this image in my mind of C19th geographers / explorers measuring up continents and making maps. Luckily it's stayed with me!

At least the guy didn't call them A Little Potty, Absolutely Potty, Potty or What &tc &tc

Sunday was a serious boost to some of ourt TTF lists on FF as well - but I agree with Andrew in fact, the race is still quite open. Very happy with my e/w at 8/1 and win at 12 on BF though for Sizing :)
Last night after a good day I also backed Katchit for a place as he's gone out so far :what:

I`ve been looking at all the relevent videos and Osana is tempting at around 11/2, but i suspect the trip might be on the short side if the ground is good.

I normally want to take short price horses on at the Festival but SE`s price seems about right.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Jan 28 2008, 05:20 PM
Whilst it was a great performance, does Sublimity now represent great value at 5/1 - 11/2? If he was as big as a bull in the Bula, what has he lost since his CH last year?

I still think Blythe Knight has as good a chance as any. Very open, and I very much disagree with anyone who believes yesterday is one raced closed for Cheltenham.
Well spotted - re the Sublimity value and the over reaction.

AoB.

Let me get this right Mordin is living in America,he admits to timing races from youtube and he is offering up opinions on Irish racing.
Have a look at the archive on his website I always maintained he wrote an incredible amount of tripe about Irish racing-now I know it to be true.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Jan 28 2008, 06:49 PM
Me too!! Awful name, and that added to his near-lack of a tail put me off him bigtime. In fact the tail did for me, pathetic I know

Couldn't resist this little gem posted on the Phillip Hobbs thread :D

" I always try to be objective about a horses chances, and look for something with a good chance from a smaller yard - you can get good e/w value like that."

Perhaps it should have carried the caveat, objective provided I like the name and the horse has a tail norty

I did say re Beefy that that was a while ago and I'm more objective now! When was Beefy's heyday? c e3/4 years ago, ie about the time I started betting! What's your beef?? :dork:

Can't imagine his jumping would be up to the big fences, and he'd be top-weight, but he should suit it perfectly otherwise :D

He does careful very well, skulk around the back of the pack until the fences are two foot lower, then start the charge. He would be a very well treated top weight in that the higher weights are starting to get a bit of relief anyway and he will surely improve on his current form for extra distance.

He would have struggled in the AIG though, placed at best (in an attempt to bring the thread back on track).

I would think Fairyhouse is a much more likely option for Beef Or Salmon. Particularly considering it is so close to Cheltenham this year.

The problem with Fairyhouse is that he'll just get his normal handicap mark, I'm not sure what he has now, but it probably doesn't fully reflect his decline. At Aintree there is more scope to "give him a chance".

Edit: Just checked his handicap mark. He is on 167, and will probably stay on or near that after his run at Christmas, regardless of what happens in the Hennessy. I reckon he'll get into the National around the 160 mark, unless he runs a blinder next time.

He would have struggled in the AIG though, placed at best (in an attempt to bring the thread back on track).

As an online horse racing discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Beef Or Salmon approaches one.

(with apologies to Godwin).

Following the media frenzy regarding Sizing Europe's win on Sunday I have gathered my thoughts on the race.

Hardy Eustace has been around a very long time and isn't getting any better with age. Al Eile supposedly returned to form after losing his way over hurdles when defeating Hardy Eustace the previous time, and the two pretty much ran up to that level of form in defeat behind Sizing Europe.

Hurdlers can progress at a fast rate of knots, as we saw with previous Champion Hurdlers such as Rooster Booster and Make a Stand, but they were returned at much longer odds than the 9/4 currently on offer about Sizing Europe.

The Champion Hurdle picture lacks a real star so the race is there for the taking, but the jury is out as regards Sizing Europe's chances, especially with Osana enjoying a 6lb pull for 4 lengths come March.

Its a wide open contest and 9/4 is a scandalous price.

SO have you gathered your thoughts then or .....?

I ask because the first line of your post suggested substance

Back