Aintree 2016

I feared that might be the case when there was no hullabaloo about his entry Archie and when wasn't in the betting 2 days ago that sort of confirmed it.

Be interesting to see how many take him on in Saturdays race.....5 at most by the looks of it

He ran well enough in the Henn considering the ground wasn't optimum.

It's all about opinions - to justify the chat about Gold Cup prices (which presumably entails a belief that the horse could win said race), I'd be looking for considerably more than he showed at Newbury or anywhere else as yet. He's been consistently talked about as a GC horse/Big Bucks since he arrived over here and he's done sod all even close to it. High class handicapper at best over fences.

I feared that might be the case when there was no hullabaloo about his entry Archie and when wasn't in the betting 2 days ago that sort of confirmed it.

Be interesting to see how many take him on in Saturdays race.....5 at most by the looks of it

he'll be 1/10 at best. non event.

Saphir De Rheu is possibly the most over-rated horse in jumps racing right now.

Certainly hasn't lived up to his promise. The handicapper has dropped him 5lbs which is probably all he's capable of these days.

You have to respect the Stewart Family though who are great supporters of the game, for running him tomorrow.

Wouldn't imagine he'll get within 20 lengths of Cue Card round there

saphir or one of the outsiders could benefit from coming here fresh.

cue card has had a long season and off the back of a nasty fall i can't back him at the odds.

djakadam is a solid but not great option at the price.

i'd be tempted with don poli each way as i suspect he'll be given a more aggressive ride than the one in the gold cup but the track would concern me for him at this level. softer ground may help.

As I've said before, this week is all about collecting the maximum amount of prize-money and no guide at all to plans for next season.

As I've said before, this week is all about collecting the maximum amount of prize-money and no guide at all to plans for next season.

and you maximise your £ by running horses in races at trips where they can win you most money...which they will do next year...they won't suddenly run horses at trips they try and fail at and then decide they aren't going to maximise £..i'm talking re Vautour now.

They may well try V at KG again..but he will need to win comfy to confirm that they will go GC route..because its clear that even with the 2nd they got this year with him..it wasn't enough to convince mullins or ruby that GC was the right way to maximise £ with him

You get no argument from me on that score as I said from day 1 it was just paper talk that he MIGHT run in the 2m4f.

You wonder why they even bother entering him.

As for next year we just have to wait and see but it would seem WPM and Ricci agree he is a future Gold Cup horse.

Personally I would back him to beat anything over jumps at any trip right now I think he's that good.

Last edited:
Was hoping Fayette County would be a bigger price than 6/1 for the Red Rum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link for that or are you just reading between the lines (of 50 Shades of Pink :whistle:)?

Willie Mullins on his very impressive Douvan
"Relieved to get on the board. Phew! We just keep running him and running him, where do you go next? If he stays and he settles, he will be a Gold Cup horse. We think he could be anything.

"He was only really going at one pace, but it was a pace quicker than the others. It didn't bother him (hitting the last)."

"WE" I imagine is Willie Ruby and Rich Ricci unless he was talking about me and you :lol:

I think it's the biggest certainty on the planet he will be tried at longer distances. My bet he will go QMCC then go to Aintree as did Sprinter Sacre then the 2017 King George if he stays........That way they can give Vautour another crack this year at the King George

Last edited:
Willie Mullins on his very impressive Douvan
"Relieved to get on the board. Phew! We just keep running him and running him, where do you go next? If he stays and he settles, he will be a Gold Cup horse. We think he could be anything.

"He was only really going at one pace, but it was a pace quicker than the others. It didn't bother him (hitting the last)."

"WE" I imagine is Willie Ruby and Rich Ricci unless he was talking about me and you :lol:

I think it's the biggest certainty on the planet he will be tried at longer distances. My bet he will go QMCC then go to Aintree as did Sprinter Sacre then the 2017 King George if he stays........That way they can give Vautour another crack this year at the King George
Is that a direct or a selective quote? This is a fuller account of connections' reaction and pretty much agrees with the Wednesday's RP printed edition.
http://www.greatbritishracing.com/n...glory-for-willie-mullins/#adZRYgwTjWgsCVFI.97
Like you, I think it's likely that Douvan will go the QMCC route next season but wouldn't look any further forward. Willie has so many other options that I'd like to think he'd keep Vautour left-handed next season. That will give the best indication of his chances of staying the GC trip but that's for another thread.....

Is that a direct or a selective quote? This is a fuller account of connections' reaction and pretty much agrees with the Wednesday's RP printed edition.
http://www.greatbritishracing.com/n...glory-for-willie-mullins/#adZRYgwTjWgsCVFI.97
Like you, I think it's likely that Douvan will go the QMCC route next season but wouldn't look any further forward. Willie has so many other options that I'd like to think he'd keep Vautour left-handed next season. That will give the best indication of his chances of staying the GC trip but that's for another thread.....

I wouldn't have a clue it is exactly as reported by Alan Tyers of the Telegraph and Ruby was also quoted as saying he could be a Gold Cup horse.

Seems they have the Gold Cup firmly on their minds to me.

Too true I would look beyond the QMCC for Douvan he's got more chance of staying the Gold Cup distance than Vautour. Based on the fact vautour Wouldn't get it in a horse box.

I think it's pretty obvious now he would have finished 3rd in the King George had DC stood up and if he had gone the Gold Cup route there's no chance he'd have gotten near DC who couldn't have looked happier going the extra distance.

If I had a worry about Douvan it is his tremendous speed. Sprinter Sacre covered the last 4 fences in his Arkle so fast I never thought I'd see another horse do the same. Not only did Douvan do the same time but from 3 out he would have finished 12 lengths (3 seconds in front of Sprinter) on worse ground. To be fair Sprinter covered the distance between the 4th last and 3rd last so fast he was about 6 lengths up on Douvan at that point....or thereabouts. I'm too tired to dig out the videos tbh but if you have avideo grabber you can download them from here http://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/video/

As I say his speed is a concern but that's a problem that come up more with speedy 6f horses trying to get a mile than fast 2 mile horses getting further as we have seen with Dessie and Kauto.

It may be wishful thinking on my part but it would seem at least Ruby and WPM have the same wish.

As for the Bowl Cue Card was travelling all over the top of Djakadam when he came down in the GC I find it impossible to oppose him.

If Don Poli couldn't get to grip with them at Cheltenham unless they go at a crawl here he's got no chance.

That could happen if Ruby sets the pace as Cue Card needs to be held up these days, but Wakanda likes to be up there so hopefully we will get a true run race.

Annie Power has no problem in small fields she's impossible to oppose.

The handicapper has given Pacha Du Polder a chance by dropping him 3lbs plus that woman is no longer their to hinder the horse. Could be one for PN

Douvan beat Sizing John with so much in hand I am happy to take him on with Garde La Victoire as Lami Serge can't be trusted to run his race.

Big fan of Davy Russel and his best chance could be on Dandridge who I like the look of at around 7/1

Last edited:
The handicapper has given Pacha Du Polder a chance by dropping him 3lbs plus that woman is no longer their to hinder the horse.

In common with the overwhelming majority of hunter chases, this isn't a handicap, and neither is the Cheltenham race.

My bad ;).....Mind you her not being on him is good for a stone considering she rode no sort of race on the horse......Must have a helluva chance today

Back