Aintree 2017

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Fair enough, I'm fresh as a daisy, just a terribe bet on Bristol De Mai today.

I'm on Sub Loo at 13/2 and 7s tomorrow so pretty confident. Have put Josses Hill and Kylemore Lough in each way doubles with Gold Present in the Topham and Moulin a Vent in the Sefton.

Have also backed the latter in a single. Want to be against the front three, two of who ran in the potato race which may well have left it's mark. Meade's horse acts on good ground and may improve for the step up in trip. 14s is decent.

If you don't think he was shaken-up, KA, then you were watching a different race to me.

I am assuredly NOT knocking the horse. In fact, I've already said he is very good, and will happily concede he is the one to beat in UK 2m hurdles next season. If you think his performances in his last two outings are exceptional, then that's your right - I clearly have a different measure of 'exceptional' myself. :cool:

I agree with Kauto on this. He was hardly asked a question today and ddi it very nicely.

Yanworth had a hard race in the CH and, given the way he won the Xmas hurdle, not at all convinced the 3m of the Liverpool Hurdle would be his trip.
Have taken him on with Supasundae (8/1 ew) who has a few pounds to find with the principals but, as a a 7yo stepping up in trip, could well prove up to it.

Agree Granger. One from my tracker and backed ew at 16/1. The only thing is his hurdling would want to improve. In saying that over 3m they should be going a tad slower.

I have Sub Lieutenant at 8s last week and done Lalor ew in the bumper at 25s. I also think Rather Be is too big at 14s in the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His name did appear beside Harry on Racing Post declarations even tho they had said he was almost certain to miss Aintree. That's where confusion has probably derived from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25/1 and 6/1 (8/1sp) winners yesterday. Good start.

Today's Selections:

1.40 - Aintree:
Dream Berry. 1.5 pts win. Available at 9/1.
Byron Flyer. 1 pt e/w. Available at 14/1. (SkyBet - 1/5 odds first 6)
Dashing Oscar. 0.75 pts e/w. Available at 16/1. (Skybet - 1/5 odds first 6)
Just to make thing easy day two of the Grand National meeting kicks off with a 22 runner Novice Hurdle. At least the layers have extended their terms to a fourth place with one going to six places. A big field doesn't always guarantee a generous pace but there are enough in this that like to lead/race prominently to ensure a truly run affair. That will suit Dream Berry who caught the eye running on into third place over 21 furlongs at Kempton last time out. He was held up and seemed to get a bit caught out of his ground when the pace quickened in the latter stages but he did some good late work when he found the gaps to get within four lengths of the winner. That was his first attempt at beyond 17 furlongs over hurdles for his current connections and it appeared to suit him well. He has the potential for more at around today's distance and he runs from the same mark as he did at Kempton. He won't get the assistance of Jack Savage's seven pound claim but the presence of Barry Geraghty can hardly be considered a negative. Byron Flyer was last seen over hurdles back in December when he was beaten just over four lengths over this C/D. That had followed a win at Doncaster from a six pound lower mark and it suggested that the Assessor may have caught up with him. However that fifth of nine has worked out very well with the first, third, fourth and sixth registering victories since and a one pound higher mark may not prevent Byron Bay getting competitive here. Since the Kempton run he has run well on three occasions on the A/W at or around two miles, winning once. Dashing Oscar has been kept to Novice company so far and his shrewd Trainer has elected this valuable, competitive race to pitch him into handicap company. He has raced up to 19 furlongs so far and it's possible he will find natural improvement for the extra furlong here. The balance of his form this season suggests an opening mark of 132 is manageable and he doesn't seem ground dependent. He represents an in-form yard who have a very profitable 26% strike rate in Novice Hurdle races this season. He will get every assistance from the saddle.

3.25 - Aintree - Fox Norton. 3 pts win. Available at 9/2.
With Josses Hill, Uxizandre and Royal Regatta present this is likely to be run at a decent pace. Having won three and finished second twice in his last five races, Fox Norton is given a chance of getting his head neck in front. He was beaten out of sight by Altior at Newbury on his penultimate start and, even accounting for the brilliance of the winner, it seemed a bit disappointing at the time. Before that he had run out a nine length winner over Simply Ned at Cheltenham and a better run at Newbury could've been expected on the back of that performance. However, even though Douvan had his excuses, Fox Norton returned to his best when just failing to pick up Special Tiara in the Champion Chase back at Cheltenham. having had 20 career starts at around two miles he is now stepped up to 20 furlongs for the first time. It could be argued that it's a bit late in the day for such a move but his Trainer has had success this term with the owners horses he has acquired and stretched out their stamina and Fox Norton gives the impression that he is one who will be suited by such a ploy. It's a slight worry that his best so far has been saved for Cheltenham but he has been a big improver this season and it looks worth chancing that he can carry on progressing away from jumping HQ. The highly accomplished Robbie Power takes the ride for the first time.

4.05 - Aintree - Seefood. 1.5 pts e/w. Available at 10/1. (Skybet - 1/5 odds first 6)

4.40 - Aintree - Beyond Conceit. 1 pt e/w. Available at 16/1. (Bet365 - 1/4 odds first 3)

Last edited:
Aintree 4.05
Eastlake 16/1 (5 places 365)

This is the best bet on the card today by a mile to my eyes.

6/1 (Stan James) surely a mad price for Moon Racer, given he was only 10/1 for the Champion Hurdle? Have there been any adverse rumours?

I agree with slim, that each way price on Eastlake has got to be the bet of the day.

I also agree Grass that Moon Racer price is mispriced too, I've checked and can't see anything adverse written after the last race. In fact David himself said after the race: Moon Racer was disappointing in the Champion Hurdle, losing his position with a bad mistake at the fourth last. Tom Scudamore quite rightly looked after him from that point onward and I am pleased to report that he is in good order – he could well go to Aintree next month.

He says in his latest blog that he expects Moon Racer today, Starchitect and Lion ROuge tomorrow to all have strong chances.

I'm also backing Alelchi Inois, I can't leave alone a MUllins horse at that price especially when it is his only runner at the meeting.

Sub Lieut and the World's end are other strong fancies along with Ice Cold Soul in the first.

Can't ever remember the horses grouping and ready to go for so long as the first today. 5 minutes !

Last edited:
At end of play yesterday was

NH £2,361,613

PN £2,110,693

It's all going to hinge on the Grand National basically

Last edited:
Back