Arc 2010

There is absolutely little or no chance of Fame And Glory being pulled out due to the ground - provided it is not bottomless he should relish an ease.

There is absolutely little or no chance of Fame And Glory being pulled out due to the ground - provided it is not bottomless he should relish an ease.

I know that, but it's not what O'Brien is saying on the front page of today's Post. He's specifically talking about the possibility of the withdrawal of Fame (and CB) if conditions deteriorate.

...It's Soft to Very Soft now with more rain due at the weekend.

Last edited:
Bar injury he will run - this is nothing more than giving the impression that he is not a mudlark. Cape Blanco on the other hand may be a NR but Fame will certainly run.

Bar injury he will run - this is nothing more than giving the impression that he is not a mudlark. Cape Blanco on the other hand may be a NR but Fame will certainly run.

I hope that is the case, but it could also suggest that he thinks Fame is just too good a stallion prospect to risk on testing or unsafe going.

I'm expecting Midas Touch to probably take the place of CB now.

Last edited:
What happens if things are so bad the meeting has to be abandoned ??? - any chance of rescheduling ?

I bet it's barely Good to Soft in reality. If any trainer withdraws a horse because of the ground without walking it first, they're morons.

Light rain due tomorrow and heavy rain due Saturday (not sure how much) but it's now forecast to be a scorcher on Sunday with temperatures of upto 24 degrees!

Edit: There's a meeting at Maisons-Laffitte this afternoon and one at St Cloud on Friday. As they are a stones throw away, be interesting to see the real state of the ground there.

Last edited:
They might take a wicked pleasure in rescheduling it for Champions Day.

Seriously, I don't think there's any chance of it being abandoned. Even if there were to be flooding they would still race as long as the grass remained visible beneath the water.

Surely the rain is perfect for Fame?

Yes, like I said earlier the race is going his way... While he doesn't need Soft/Heavy he can cope with it at least as well as any of the others. I just hope that O'Brien saying that he is "very worried" about the going for Fame is another Ballydoyle smokescreen.

Last edited:
What happens if things are so bad the meeting has to be abandoned ??? - any chance of rescheduling ?

I think they are reasonably confident of going ahead, but expecting it to be very soft (perhaps worse). I would expect quite a few last minute withdrawals from most races on Sat/Sun in this circumstance.

Light rain due tomorrow and heavy rain due Saturday (not sure how much) but it's now forecast to be a scorcher on Sunday with temperatures of upto 24 degrees!

The worst kind of ground is soft going that is baked dead/sticky. This is more testing than rain on the day to help them get through it. If O'Brien's concerns about the going are legitimate I'd say CB has a big chance of not running and who knows about Fame.

Last edited:
There are a lot better things to do in Paris than going racing - you'll be fine!

Last edited:
Looks a sunny day at Maisons-Laffittes down the road and looking at the times crudely, the ground seems to be on the soft side of good there today.

Incidently, the advertised ground is Good there! It's probably less than 10 miles away!

Don't be fooled by comparing local tracks - the drainage in Longchamp has been terrible for a long time, and I think someone (Longchamp?) posted as much somewhere on this thread.

With even average drainage, there is no way the track will be anything but soft (probably worse) based on the current forecast.

I like Cavalryman at a price.

By Paul Eacott 1:26PM 29 SEP 2010
ALARM bells were ringing over the participation of Derby hero Workforce in Sunday's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe after his pricefor Europe's richest race drifted violently on Betfair on Wednesday.
Although no official decision over whether he will run is expected until Thursday, market moves on the exchange, so often a solid barometer, were suggesting that it is unlikely he is going to take his place in the line-up.
The Sir Michael Stoute-trained colt drifted out to a high of 19-1 on Wednesday morning. He was 15-1 to back and 18-1 to lay shortly before 1.30pm.
Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin said: "Although the monies involved are not substantial by any means, the fact that Workforce is trading at these prices has to be of concern for his backers."

Testing ground is expected for Sunday's Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe with the Longchamp surface currently soft to very soft and more rain forecast.
Clerk of the course Christian Delporte told At The Races:: "Today (Tuesday) we have showers and some sunshine but for the weekend we have many rain forecast.
"It's soft at the moment but with the rain on Saturday it will probably be very soft. The condition of the track is soft but it will be OK."

With even average drainage, there is no way the track will be anything but soft (probably worse) based on the current forecast.

Is that French Soft or British Soft? :D

There is a distinct difference!

I'd expect what we'd call genuine Good to Soft ground over here come race time looking at the forecast, if the forecast for Sunday is correct.

Back