Arse Cup

I thought that's what you meant, but hadn't heard it called that! It's not to be recommended, since you have no control over the horse, and are likely to be dunked if it stumbles or jinks. KS was too well-mannered to do that, perhaps unfortunately!

'Skiing' is generally a phrase used when a horse is taking a tug and you're swinging off it with the result that your lower leg is quite a lot further in front of you than the rest of your leg and your body is anchored back against the horse, hence the resemblance of a water-skiing position.

Ah, thanks, Shadz. That sounds more like it. I have seen a chum of mine come off when standing up in the irons, pony-cantering. The horse started at something, and kerrr-splat! Very funny at the time, as no real damage done.

Your trainer is the only person I've ever known call that skiiing, G-G! Everyone else uses the term to refer to someone swinging from one in the fashion I described.

What you're referring to skiing it standing up in the irons which is done by many. There's not really any harm in it so long as it is done properly - if the rider's balance is no good they can end up hauling on the mouth which is why I would imagine your trainer doesn't like it. Most people who do it are in the saddle daily though and have no problems balancing without hauling on the mouth.

'Ruby's inspired decision to remount Kauto Star and show everyone he was okay by riding him in front of the stands was a brilliant piece of PR on its own. Even if he just couldn't be bothered to walk back.' Quote from RP Blogger Nicholas Godfrey, the biggest pillock alive who blogged that day.

I'll hold him down SL and hand you the pitchfork. :ninja:

Why do the RP waste their time and money on these people and not on analysts and close-up reporters who actually do something useful?

Your trainer is the only person I've ever known call that skiiing, G-G! Everyone else uses the term to refer to someone swinging from one in the fashion I described.

What you're referring to skiing it standing up in the irons which is done by many. There's not really any harm in it so long as it is done properly - if the rider's balance is no good they can end up hauling on the mouth which is why I would imagine your trainer doesn't like it. Most people who do it are in the saddle daily though and have no problems balancing without hauling on the mouth.

He's been around a while - he's always called it 'skiing'. He doesn't agree it being done at all, whatever name it is known as by others.

Yup - the Knobbly Knees Kontest can't be far away, especially given some of the crowd's penchant for over-dressing or fancy-dressing.

Can next year's tone-deaf effort be "I'm a jumps jockey!" to "Firestarter", please?

Last edited:
Back