Ascot Gold Cup

Originally posted by Euronymous+Jun 19 2008, 03:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Euronymous @ Jun 19 2008, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gareth Flynn@Jun 19 2008, 03:51 PM
You couldn't have asked for much more than the first three in the market coming into the straight together like that.
I know it`s easy after the event, but Geordieland was 11 before the race and could have been laid at 2 at most in the last furlong or so. Not much of a surprise either. [/b][/quote]
The lowest Geordieland went in running was 3.2(just under 9/4).If it wasn't for his reputation he would have went odds on.
I thought Murtagh was brilliant today.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Jun 19 2008, 04:09 PM
Most horses are operating full out at 12f. His heart-rate is just getting up to 180 beats per minute at 12f." Brilliant stuff.
Do horses have similar resting heart rate`s as humans?

Originally posted by Euronymous+Jun 19 2008, 04:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Euronymous @ Jun 19 2008, 04:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Desert Orchid@Jun 19 2008, 04:09 PM
Most horses are operating full out at 12f. His heart-rate is just getting up to 180 beats per minute at 12f." Brilliant stuff.
Do horses have similar resting heart rate`s as humans? [/b][/quote]
A horse heart beat at rest is around 30 per minute.

While it's maximum is around 230.

5l today off level weights.

Septimus beat him 5l giving him 3lbs.

At Goodwood in 2006, Yeats beat him 5l giving him 5lbs.

If they do race against each other I would fancy Septimus simply because Yeats looked absolutely trained to the minute for todays race and I am not sure he'll be at his very peak the next day. Whats more the demands and trip of Ascot bring out the very best in him.

Remember at the time of his Derby I was gutted when he was pulled out, I had him backed at 33/1 on the day of his racecourse debut. In hindsight we would never have had the thrills of today and the last couple of years if he had been ready and won that Derby.

I was there for his debut, and took your advice that evening when I came home from the Curragh and backed him for that Derby Aidan.

If memory serves me, I think I got 25s. I had hoped to have a nice pot in my GBP account on my return from Oz.

Yeats seems to be quite incredible. Prior to the race i had heard from a source close to Ballydoyle that he was about 10 kilos over his racing weight and they had really stuggled to shift the weight this year more than ever. An amazing performance and even more impressive that he still had the energy to try and kick the Godolphin horse.

For all the worries about whether Yeats might not be the same horse this year, that's likely to be rated the best of his three Gold Cups (if unlikely to be a career best, though not far off).

A tremendous performance and a great bit of training to get the "old" horse fit and eager for a battle.

Class act of the day so far is AOB. He at last let out the horse's secret. The sheer physical make-up of Yeats. Not verbatim but not far off it: "We have to decide about preserving the genes of the horse. His heart and lungs. He has massive lungs and a massive heart. Literally. Most horses are operating full out at 12f. His heart-rate is just getting up to 180 beats per minute at 12f." Brilliant stuff.

Fascinating stuff, I wish he'd talk like that more often.

Originally posted by Venusian@Jun 19 2008, 07:37 PM
A tremendous performance and a great bit of training to get the "old" horse fit and eager for a battle.
Old stallion, more like!

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 19 2008, 04:12 PM
For all the worries about whether Yeats might not be the same horse this year, that's likely to be rated the best of his three Gold Cups (if unlikely to be a career best, though not far off).
I knew I’d done my money when I saw Yeats in the parade. He absolutely knocked your eye out and looked supremely relaxed. Coastal was on his toes and pulled hard to get to the front from the off, which is why he finished tamely. Wonderful victory… Yeats clocked up RPRs of 122 in both his previous wins. I’d be interested to learn of his rating yesterday, I would have thought he at least matched that of his previous Gold Cups.

Originally posted by tetley+Jun 19 2008, 10:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tetley @ Jun 19 2008, 10:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SteveM@Jun 19 2008, 02:50 AM
I'd love to see Yeats equal Sagaro's record and won't mind losing if he does. I think that's sort of the way Magnier and co are looking at it too if they can't win with Yeats they won't win and certainly don't want to beat him with one of their own.

The head is ruling the heart with me today. Reluctantly I'm on Coastal Path.
This was my absolute thinking, however being the big softie that I am, I'm following my heart and have kept with Yeats. [/b][/quote]
Well done tetley... you were well rewarded.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley+Jun 19 2008, 02:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew Hurley @ Jun 19 2008, 02:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-betsmate@Jun 19 2008, 02:36 PM
Westerner? World class.
Ah yes [/b][/quote]
Westerner and Enzeli both put up RPRs of 125 in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised if Yeats has got near to that. His previous two wins were both 122 and he has achieved mid-120s elsewhere.

Just back from Ascot so pleased to be able to be there to see Yeats win his third. Am knackered from shouting. Was fab to see the recption he got, and all the people, even in the Royal Enclosure shouting for them. Horses like this are surely rare beasties and we ought to hold them close when we find them and celebrate them.

He is gorgeous. :luv: Aidan looked so thrilled when he won, and less stressed.

I hope he does not go to Melbourne, he is not the right kind of horse for that, too classy, would be better to do the St Leger again and if they really really want to bring him back to Ascot. But if he were mine he would go home for good at end of season. Overheard someone saying King George? Magnier looked shocked by how much the crowd reacted to this victory, not sure they have ever had a horse so popular before - well, few have. They were really ejoyiong it - great stuff.

Thanks - I hope you are right!!!! People seem over anxious to move on to the next big thing rather too quickly. Everyone was shoving the mike in Aidan's face asking what next and plenty of talk in many directions.

Back