Betfair Hurdle

I agree Des and the fact its still an e/w price with however many places they are paying barring accidents or trouble in running it would be hard to see 4-5 horses being better handicapped so it should be as risk free bet as you can get (famous last words). The money will come of that I'm sure the real smart money always comes late in the day Imo.

I haven't had any more I've just stuck with the bet at 25's although I did have a couple of e/w doubles when she was 16's but not for much. Mohaayed (County) and CML (ChH w/o Boo).

I have however rightly or wrongly made my combi's far more tusky than is sensible or advisable but every now and then the beast in me likes to unleash a decent wedge on a real long shot.

I just like to mix it up a bit :)

Last edited:
[QUOTEKayf Grace is my big fancy for this as I stated earlier in the thread. Should be an interesting watch anyhow. I have a soft spot for Moon Racer, I won't be backing him but won't begrudge a victory either.
][/QUOTE]

Double J, you speak for me too

Just been going through the race again to see if I can spot anything else interesting and there were a couple of long shots that interested me including the one Tanlic has put forward. Other than that though I think If I fancy Spiritofgames a fair bit you could make a very similar case for Coeur Blimey. Also ran well in the Lanzarote but didn't look to see the trip out so might be more suited than Spirit by the step back and would be better off at the weights. Also tried in first time pieces. The one right at the bottom Zalvados quite closely matched with Coeur Blimey on a run at Cheltenham looks progressive tried in first time blinkers (apparently to help tidy up the jumping) and gets to carry 10 stone dead due to his claimer which if conditions are testing I always feel is an advantage when most of the field are carrying 11 stone plus.

The main threats to Irish Roe are all now seemingly over 25/1 I fear this bunch more than I do some of the more fancied types.

Be interesting to see how it all works out.

I went for sIlver streak 16/1 and i dont see why the ones he beat should turn the tables really,but and theres always a but,theres a chance that some trainers didnt really try with this extra big prize in mind so im also doing BLEU ET ROUGE 14/1.

good luck.

[QUOTEKayf Grace is my big fancy for this as I stated earlier in the thread. Should be an interesting watch anyhow. I have a soft spot for Moon Racer, I won't be backing him but won't begrudge a victory either.
]

Double J, you speak for me too[/QUOTE]

Seriously thought about backing Moonracer but David just doesn't fill me with the confidence Martin did 20 years ago when pulling of a gamble.
Thought good enough to run in the Champion Hurdle but despite being backed ran like a 50/1 shot and as if we needed a reminder he's backed again at Aintree and finishes unplaced..

Immense talent but sooooo disappointing like you I gave him a miss

I'm on three already mentioned on here. I suspect Bleu et Rouge's big day is at Cheltenham but I can't leave him unbacked here just in case.

Danny has already made the case for Zalvados. He's getting a fair bit of weight from the others and I can see him sneaking in to the places off his feather weight.

The one I really fancy is Knocknanuss. He's a horse I've been waiting for, particularly in a big valuable handicap. You need something well ahead of the handicapper, and of all these I think he's the one that could have the most in hand. So confident am I I've also doubled him with Not Never in the 4.50 at Warwick. Jamie Moore is scrambling to Warwick with less than an hour to spare to ride the latter, which also happens to be in the same ownership as Knocknanuss.

Last edited:
For some reason, I cannot muster enthusiasm for this edition of the race. To complement my Irish Roe wager, I have backed all three McManus horse to varying degrees, and covered them in combo forecasts and tricasts, on the incredibly lazy assumption that he might have plotted-up more than one of them.

Good luck to those who have made more of an effort i.e. everyone.

I've followed Irish Roe right from the start; someone I know at the gym's brother stands Vinnie Roe at stud [albeit probably before the mare was born] and my surname is Roe, but I haven't been looking at the Betfair betting at all. Thankfully I've got a couple of free bets from W Hills so I've backed her at a rubbish price. Money going on W H Bonney today but Zalvados [who I backed last night along with Coeur Blimey] seems to be drifting]. May have to have a bet on Lalor cause I'd hate to not be screaming him home if he looks like winning. Good luck everybody; cracking afternoons racing in store.

Last years juvenile form is getting a thorough kicking again. The three in this race are absolutely friendless in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last years juvenile form is getting a thorough kicking again. The three in this race are absolutely friendless in the market.

Well the Triumph runner-up was proving several pounds better this season before his demise. Bapaume has improved again. Ex-Patriot has clearly been getting primed for something later. Charli Parcs wasn't off an inch in the Gerry Fielden and still nearly won.

I've backed the Fred Winter Three in the belief that they will frank the form when the trainers say go.

Yeah as always. The ones that always worry me most are horses with first time tack, wind ops and things like that whilst these things don't always improve a horse there are quite a few horses in here who are trying something for the first time and its sods law that at least one of them will improve beyond recognition. I always take a view as well that in the case of first time blinkers, pieces and tongue ties e.t.c that they bare more significance on the "big days" i.e if you are going to apply a piece of equipment that you think will improve your horse your not going to do it in a small race your going to wait for the big pot.
The ft tongue tie on Bleu et Rouge looks a reaction to his travelling like a dream latest,, then finding zilch when asked for his effort. Maybe BG reported the horse made a noise? Wouldn't be too expensive to chance at 14/1.

Irish Roe at 16/1 from Danny & DO's posts weeks ago and WH Bonny 25/1 today 6 places my 2 against the field.
Tempted to have some sickness insurance on Bleu Et Rouge, but it just reminds me so so much of Wicklow Brave in 2015.
I was all over him for the big handicaps in this and Sandown at 33/1 and 25/1 - went off at 9/1 both occasions and didn't go a yard!
I gave up on him and he romps the County hurdle at 25/1 - I'm still not quite over it.
I think I'll have a very small saver on Bleu today, but I'll thinking of him more for the County.

I'm convinced on Kayf Grace, topping up again today. Think he race two weeks ago would have took too much out of Irish Roe.

Sticking a forecast of Lalor and Kayf Grace on as well.

Finally settled on Bleu Et Rouge & Knocknanuss but you could make a good case for most of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ft tongue tie on Bleu et Rouge looks a reaction to his travelling like a dream latest,, then finding zilch when asked for his effort. Maybe BG reported the horse made a noise? Wouldn't be too expensive to chance at 14/1.

Absolutely would agree 100%. I've done enough in this race though and as always you could make good cases for most but unfortunately you can't back them all. Couldn't argue with the reasoning though.

So many closely matched run of the race will more than likely determine the outcome. If you ran it 20 times you'd probably get a different result every time.

Irish Roe at 16/1 from Danny & DO's posts weeks ago and WH Bonny 25/1 today 6 places my 2 against the field.
Tempted to have some sickness insurance on Bleu Et Rouge, but it just reminds me so so much of Wicklow Brave in 2015.
I was all over him for the big handicaps in this and Sandown at 33/1 and 25/1 - went off at 9/1 both occasions and didn't go a yard!
I gave up on him and he romps the County hurdle at 25/1 - I'm still not quite over it.
I think I'll have a very small saver on Bleu today, but I'll thinking of him more for the County.

I had exactly the same experience with Wicklow Brave I could have ******* shot myself when he won the county.

I think Irish Roe backers could be heading up a blind alley. Marias Benefit has had an injury scare, I'm guessing this was sustained in the Donny race which means her finishing position was flattering.

I think Irish Roe backers could be heading up a blind alley. Marias Benefit has had an injury scare, I'm guessing this was sustained in the Donny race which means her finishing position was flattering.
She also beat a 139 mare by 7 lengths, form looks solid to me and was run at a decent pace, backing a mare in a big field biggest negative for me.

I've already rated MB as running below form that day so I'm not in the least worried.

Gutted. I love Kalashnikov couldn't have him winning on that ground though.
Did anyone have the winner?

Kalashnikov terrific there and ripped them to bits from the second last . I suspect he might shake up Samcro if he went for the Supreme on good to soft.

I suspect Irish Roe left her race at Donny.

Last edited:
Kalashnikov got plenty of strong mentions through the thread and well done to all his backers.

Irish Roe seemed to give up quite early and her new mark will make life very difficult for her.

I suspect the rain changed the complexion of the race entirely. Run it again on good ground and the placed horses at least would be entirely different.

Once again a good Saturday meeting has been spoiled by changing ground that only suits certain types. Fortunately it was a light betting day overall but well done again to all Kalashnikov's backers.

Would be a huge player for Cheltenham if he gets over that but Samcro must be doubtful for the Supreme.

The only way I can see Samcro losing is if he comes across a flat horse speedster and you don't get many on them in the longer race

Back