Breeding & Bloodstock 2013

Your top 3 pls Miesque?

New sires? New to Ireland? In general? ;)

Commercially? I'd go with Excelebration who I forgot to mention in my initial post who is a great mover, stunning physically and if he hadn't spent so much time looking at Frankel's arse would have been given more respect. Then perhaps Casamento and although not technically a first season sire I'd look very closely at Henrythenavigator.

I'm very keen on Fame and Glory if you have the right sort of mare. He probably won't get supported by Coolmore so you'll be friendless at the sales but they might just surprise. He was a racy youngster and you'd hope he'd stamp them that way too.

Love it... the RP Bloodstock section getting busy announcing first season sire foals - and they're all lovely, scopey, athletic, good-looking, strong, attractive individuals...

I'm very keen on Fame and Glory if you have the right sort of mare. He probably won't get supported by Coolmore so you'll be friendless at the sales but they might just surprise. He was a racy youngster and you'd hope he'd stamp them that way too.

I'll keep my eye out for them at the Derby sale 2017 :whistle:

Love it... the RP Bloodstock section getting busy announcing first season sire foals - and they're all lovely, scopey, athletic, good-looking, strong, attractive individuals...

There's so many words I can some up with for press releases.....next lot are all "above average" and "early types" .... I was half tempted to slip "sexy" in there just to see what was said.

Last edited:
There's so many words I can some up with for press releases.....next lot are all "above average" and "early types" .... I was half tempted to slip "sexy" in there just to see what was said.

Now - sexy - don't think I've heard a foal described as such so far but give it time, give it time!!!

Out of interest, Miesque, what's your take on the BOBIS scheme ?

I am afraid I've had enough of continuously being fleeced in what amounts to stealth taxes. Have therefore dumped my TBA memebership, as I really don't feel they do that much to justify the cost, especially regionally. If you breed for the Flat in the SW, you are invisible - all regional days revolve around NH visits, most of which are the same recycled visits from a few years back! Which you have to pay for!

Selling foals/yearlings now means BOBIS, RP Yearling bonus contributions, prep charges, sales expenses, commission to agent, entry fees, commission to sales company - just uneconomic nowadays....

May make less per head with the cattle but you get paid straightaway, it's just as competitive, good returns on AI Stud bulls, same pleasure in breeding a good'un (although agreed, they don't run as fast....:whistle:) and you can eat the feckers if they don't perform without having to hide the fact.

Bargain... ! :cool:

Very correct, honest head, lovely colour, great skin, stamp of his Dad ......they have been the same for years

New forum game......come up with (non smutty) phrases and I'll get them into press releases.

Trudi - Bobis has been relatively overlooked in my world as mine are Ireland or France registered in general.

New forum game......come up with (non smutty) phrases and I'll get them into press releases.

Trudi - Bobis has been relatively overlooked in my world as mine are Ireland or France registered in general.

??? I havent mentioned the Bobbit scheme (thats what its called in my house :lol:)

All I know about it is that they dont do it yet for NH mares, so it doesnt involve me right now (but it might start next year) - and Ive got enough on my plate at the moment without thinking about stuff I wont be doing!! :D

Last edited:
You'll get extra points for using these:

Able-bodied
Four-legged
Forward-facing
Steady-gazing
Ready-assembled

Oh yes - DEFO put "four legs" in somewhere - thats got to be worth the entertainment??!!

I might get away with four good legs. Or even a leg at each corner....hmmmmm. Watch adverts carefully!

Trudi, apologies it WH song sheet who mentioned Bobis. iPad typing/quoting mistake on my behalf!

6a1cdeb13bf4a9823fb8f9f311961cae_zpsbd5743e4.jpg

Goldikova's foal, yesterday morning.

:D I'll let you off just this once ;)

Love that pic of him even though he's seeing how tiny he can make himself! Can't wait to see him on a racecourse, will be interesting to see how good he is :)

Well, in the spirit of this thread (sort of) today I dropped Grape (Frosted Grape for those of you vaguely wondering) off at a snowy Batsford Stud ( http://www.batsfordstud.co.uk/ ) in Moreton in the Marsh (Herpes free area now!) to be covered (whenever she decides to play ball) by Kutub (http://www.batsfordstud.co.uk/kutub.html ). Hes much nicer IMO than his stud page - proper chunky chap (just the sort I love!), and hopefully she will produce something (well,producing anything would be an improvement on my last two years!) that keeps up his 80% win/place runners success rate rather than the other 20%.

Fingers crossed she does it all quicker than the last maiden mare I sent to stud - dont think I can afford her to stay there for 5 months, its gobsmackingly stunning !!!!

Moyglare Stud’s three year old filly Candle Lit (Lot 444) topped a strong renewal of Goffs February Sale when selling to Cathy Grassick for €100,000.

The daughter of Duke Of Marmalade is out of the Stakes winner Diamond Trim and is a sister to multiple Group 3 winner and Group 1 placed Profound Beauty. Her pedigree is packed with Group 1 performers including Irresistible Jewel, Royal Diamond and Mad About You.

Other notable purchases by Brian Grassick Bloodstock included The Castlebridge Consignment’s Morning Bride (Lot 373) who is an own sister to Group 2 Railway Stakes winner Probably for €40,000, and Bay Laurel from the same vendor (Lot 412) who is a sister to the dam of Group 1 July Cup winner Mayson for €36,000. Coolagown Stud’s winning sister of Group 1 winner Rosdhu Queen (Lot 472) meanwhile sold for €40,000 to Rosehill Stud.

Commenting at the conclusion of the February Sale, Goffs Chief Executive Henry Beeby said:

“The Goffs February Sale is a regular market leader and has again outperformed every other sale at this time of year with a two day sale of consistent vibrancy. Whilst some of the statistics may not have matched last year we have returned a strong trade on both days and welcomed another international audience to Goffs following a coordinated approach from Goffs and Irish Thoroughbred Marketing.

Last year’s top prices have not been matched but this is a sale that very much reacts to the market and our top priced foal of 2012 only sold in February as she missed her first choice sale here the previous November. Indeed her half-brother was one of our sale toppers three months ago which perfectly illustrates the point. The €500,000 top price of 2012 was a real stand out as well and it was always going to be difficult to match although we are very happy to see our great supporters Moyglare top today with an impressive €100,000 to Cathy Grassick’s bid.

The fact is that this year has returned the second best set of results since the pre-downturn highs of February 2008 and over 50% ahead of 2011. Of course we would have preferred to advance again in all sectors but an improved clearance rate and steady median price clearly show that we continue to develop the sale. That makes Goffs in February the clear first choice for so many vendors and buyers from home and abroad”.

Full results

http://www.goffs.com/catalogue.aspx?saleId=263&saletype=Yearling

Back