Breeding & Bloodstock 2013

I hear ye...I asked a vet to have a look at a few foals at the sales last year. They where all a little bit this and a little bit that. When they went through the ring I couldn't afford to buy any of them.

Although the foal numbers in Ireland have plateaued, they're still well down on 2008 and are continuing to decline in UK, so with a reduced supply those still wanting to get involved at the sales are more likely to have to make compromises somewhere - pedigree or conformation - and/or pay over the odds for what would have been a no-more-than 'average' specimen five years ago.

I hear ye...I asked a vet to have a look at a few foals at the sales last year. They where all a little bit this and a little bit that. When they went through the ring I couldn't afford to buy any of them.

I do trust him implicitly though - we looked at a few for others and some did pick up a few. The 16k flemensfirth with no nh in its pedigree was actually quite a nice horse as was the smallish holy roman filly towards the end of the foals.

Although the foal numbers in Ireland have plateaued, they're still well down on 2008 and are continuing to decline in UK, so with a reduced supply those still wanting to get involved at the sales are more likely to have to make compromises somewhere - pedigree or conformation - and/or pay over the odds for what would have been a no-more-than 'average' specimen five years ago.

We reckoned that pedigree was less important on Wedensday, good looking and moving colts with lights pages were selling well. Fillies less so. Anything less than stellar was really struggling.

Did you decide to use Fame and Glory in the end ?
Is Requinto a blocky type ?

Using Fame and Glory, New Approach and Henrythenavigator this year. Expecting a Canford in three weeks or so.

Requinto is a bit a leg at each corner and has a bit about, not light of bone anyway.

THewayyouare over PC could be doable. No worse certainly than my Teofilo over Danehill!

Nureyev, Native Dancer and Special doubling up is far enough back to be of little concern as lo as those are influences you want in the offspring!

Last year’s G1 Coronation Stakes winner Fallen For You was covered by Champion first-season sire New Approach yesterday.

Using Fame and Glory, New Approach and Henrythenavigator this year. Expecting a Canford in three weeks or so.

Requinto is a bit a leg at each corner and has a bit about, not light of bone anyway.

Will you keep the f and G or do you think they'll sell Olympic?

Breeders' Cup rocked by Sheikh Mohammed move

By David Baxter 7:20AM 4 MAR 2013 -Racing post
OLIVER TAIT, Darley's chief operating officer, has resigned from the Breeders' Cup board due to the organisation's policy on Lasix.
On March 1, members on the board voted to only to maintain the current practice of banning the ant-bleeding medication in the four juvenile races, going back on a pledge to extend the ban across the whole meeting.
As a consequence, Tait resigned on Sunday, and issued a press release which said: "The Breeders' Cup has reversed its previously agreed and stated position that the 2013 Breeders' Cup World Championships will be conducted without Lasix.
"As a consequence I have resigned from the board of the Breeders' Cup."
Tait also represented the views of Darley boss Sheikh Mohammed in the press release, as he added: "Sheikh Mohammed, Darley's principal, has been one of the biggest players in American racing for the last 30 years. His vision for the sport in America is a future where racing is enjoyed and admired by a new generation of participants and enthusiasts. A true world championship, to be enjoyed and admired by all, needs to be medication-free."
Breeders' Cup chairman Tom Ludt issued a press release on Sunday thanking Tait for his work on the board. He said: "We greatly value his work on behalf of Darley and their longtime support and enthusiastic participation in the Breeders' Cup program."

Last edited:
Very interesting. The Americans will be left on their own. Will an alternative version for the rest of us be created in Dubai? Or Europe?

I don't understand why they are refusing to get their house in order. The only thing I can think of is that their stock is now so unsound that the big operations could not function without meds to cover up the issues. They do a U turn on this every other year.

We should have a European breeders cup split between Dundalk and Tramore. For the aw and turf.

Last edited:
From RP

INCLEMENT weather conditions may have put paid to racing at Newbury on Saturday, but the team at DBS put in some sterling work to ensure this year's instalment of their March boutique sale at the Berkshire venue took place.

Padge, the cosy winner of a Punchestown point-to-point last month for trainer Donnchadh Doyle, headed proceedings when making £160,000.

The four-year-old son of Flemensfirth, who is related to a number of crack chasers including the Gold Cup winner Fort Leney, was initially led out of the ring unsold at £180,000 but was later purchased privately by Evan Williams.

"He has been bought for William and Angela Rucker and will be turned out to grass," said Williams.

"We won't make any decisions on his future just yet."

The Glenview Stud-conisgned Hills Of Dubai, who landed a Tallow point-to-point last month for the Cashman family, was snapped up by Donald McCain for £100,000.

The Dubai Destination four-year-old is from a family brimming with classy Flat performers, including the Irish St Leger hero Ibn Bey.

"He's a horse I've had my eye on for sometime and I was very keen to have him," said McCain. "I'm not sure he will run again this year, but he should make up into a cracking chaser. He has been bought for Tim Leslie."

Anthony Bromley was busy and went to £75,000 for the Beneficial gelding Howlongisafoot, who was the easy winner of a Bennettsbridge point-to-point at the end of last month for Sean Doyle.

The four-year-old is related to the Listed bumper winner Den Of Iniquity.

Regal Diamond had shown a good level of form when finishing fourth behind Purple Bay - fifth in the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham last week - on his debut at Doncaster in February for Peter Bowen and he will be returning to the trainer's Pembrokeshire base after being bought for £70,000.

However, the five-year-old son of Vinnie Roe, who had previously donned David Smith's silks, will now run in the colours of Bowen's long-standing owners Roddy Owen and Paul Fullagar.

"He is a smashing horse - very, very good," said Bowen. "He will probably be aimed at the Aintree bumper and although he will go through soft ground, I think he will be a much better horse on better ground."

Regal Diamond descends from a strong National Hunt family that includes Noel Meade's Deloitte Hurdle winner Aran Concerto.

Kian's Delight will also be running in the colours of Roddy Owen and Paul Fullagar after Bowen sealed the deal with a bid of £70,000.

The five-year-old son of Whipper will be heading back to familiar surroundings, having already won five races for Bowen and previous owners the Yeh Man Partnership.

The third lot to hit the £70,000 mark was A Hare Breath, the recent winner of a Bennettsbridge point-to-point, who will be trained by Nick Gifford.

The five-year-old son of Alkaadhem will carry the colours made famous by 1981 Grand National hero Aldaniti.

"He has been bought for my long-standing owners the Embiricoses," said Gifford. "We will get him home and see what we've got.

"If the ground ever dries out he may have a run this season, but there is no rush with him as I see him as a future three-mile chaser. He had a lazy, athletic walk and really caught my eye."

http://www.dbsauctions.com/catalogue.aspx?saleId=269&saletype=HIT

Back