Cheltenham 2021/22

I think had she not moved OK as she cantered away, Rachel would have pulled her up. And she moved fine.

Harry would not have been allowed to remount but it did look as though he had forgotten that rule for a moment.

Had the mare not been moving well, and she tried to jump, it would have been a disgrace. She had to get her speed up quickly given how close the last is and perhaps that looked out of order, but even so.

Had the mare not been moving well, and she tried to jump, it would have been a disgrace. She had to get her speed up quickly given how close the last is and perhaps that looked out of order, but even so.

Yes, it would, but Rachel wouldn’t have let her try to jump it.

The mare instinctively wanted to stay with the other one which was why she had to roust he a bit. She could easily have refused and she was genuine to go away and jump the fence after coming to a standstill.

Danny McMenamin often rides for Brian Ellisons and has 2 mounts for him this Saturday both with chances

He teams up with Nietzsche in the big one and is right at the bottom of the handicap.

He was never going to get the trip behind Vintage Clouds at the festival over 3m1f in soft ground.

He did move up just behind the leaders 3 out but then hit a brick wall.

The race has been won over 20 times with horses 10.7 or less so it wouldn't be a huge surprise for him to run well

If the ground is good I'll be tempted to back him EW

Yes I remember putting him up on here when he won the greatwood nearly 3 years ago to the day. The way you've described it, 2M4F could be his ideal trip around here over fences.

It's his 13th start over fences, so he's got enough experience for a big race like this, while not being totally exposed in the handicap either. I was considering Farinet but I will go each way on this fella.

Last edited:
She did nothing wrong under the rules as they stand and I'm sure that connections and punters are happy. However, it did look ugly and I thought that the stewards were quite right to advise that she could have taken more time to fully assess her fitness.
Interesting that Ruby defended her. Many will remember a similar incident on Killultagh Lad that was lauded at the time but effectively ended the horse's career at the top level. He also has form remounting Kauto Star which caused a rule change.

She did nothing wrong under the rules as they stand and I'm sure that connections and punters are happy. However, it did look ugly and I thought that the stewards were quite right to advise that she could have taken more time to fully assess her fitness.
Interesting that Ruby defended her. Many will remember a similar incident on Killultagh Lad that was lauded at the time but effectively ended the horse's career at the top level. He also has form remounting Kauto Star which caused a rule change.

Agree she should have taken longer to assess the mare's condition, she could have just trotted round in a couple of circles or one, before trying to go on, she had no opposition so there was no rush was there? Could see Skelton coming down at some point, even if unlucky. If Ruby was on commission for saying wait until after the 2nd last and come inside, he earned a fortune today.

This is my favourite jumps meeting outside of the Festival and the time when I would start building my Festival AP portfolio. Usually go but had a Booster injection this week and didn't feel up to it.
Fortunately for me two posts on this thread from Euro and Granger led me to back both Editeur du Gite and Blazing Khal (a fair sum), neither of which I would have picked without their posts. Thanks guys for substantially increasing my enjoyment of the days racing!

Isn't that the argument for cancelling all jump races?

Come on now. What I'm saying is that it's hard enough defending this game from the haters. Blackmore clearly didn't give the horse enough time to assess the situation.

Agree she should have taken longer to assess the mare's condition, she could have just trotted round in a couple of circles or one, before trying to go on, she had no opposition so there was no rush was there? Could see Skelton coming down at some point, even if unlucky. If Ruby was on commission for saying wait until after the 2nd last and come inside, he earned a fortune today.

Mmm, looked to me as if Skelton tried his usual sling shot off the final bend tactic which may be ok for middle rankers, but don’t good horses deserve something a bit more sophisticated? Maybe Ruby had a point.

Clocked that yesterday, PJ, and even went looking for a price for the Ballymore (not quoted anywhere I could see).

I dare say I'll end-up having something on him. I can barely ever let a C. Byrnes runner in the UK go by me.

Hope it was your money that moved the market

Even at the shortened odds, looked a good price

Come on now. What I'm saying is that it's hard enough defending this game from the haters. Blackmore clearly didn't give the horse enough time to assess the situation.

And if she stepped off the horse when she could have stayed on, and all vet's tests showed that the horse was fine, she would have been criticised by most except for the 'haters' of the game. (And I guess by those who backed My Drogo). It always surprises me how eager horse racing is so keen to pander to the haters. They really dont care about the sport, or its participants. other than for one saturday in April.

Last edited:
I've done GALAHAD QUEST 16s for the PP.i think it's the only one DO didnt mention.

Also done it in an ew dble with MILANFORD.

Thanks Dessie. Have you looked at the Greatwood? I like the look of Galice Macalo who ran well despite a less than stellar ride last time at Chepstow.

Top of my ratings although the figure itself is tenuous but it's the figure that made me back her in the Betfair Hurdle so sickness insurance is in order.

Hope it was your money that moved the market

Even at the shortened odds, looked a good price

Well, I backed it at a boosted 4/1 and the fu*cker went off 9/2, so I dare say my influence was all too evident, PJ!

Member Tiggers (who I always see at the track) bailed early into Charlie’s horse and got paid at 7/1,, which is worthy of high-fives any way I look at it.

Best part of the day, however, was jawing with my old pal Arthur, who was and remains a top man. He is wearing retirement impeccably.

Is there to be a rendezvous on Saturday?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The parade of champions just along from the racecourse office Colm. There's a small Tote outlet on the right hand side just before the glass doors. Next to there I'd suggest. Frontrunner (Brian) will be with me too. I think Art is around as well, so hopefully he'll join us. Grassy has said he might be a bit late, but him and Digger are coming down too. I'd suggest 11.45.

If anyone else is around come and join us.

Back