Cheltenham Festival/ Corona Virus?

If it does go ahead [and I sincerely hope it does] wouldn't it make sense for the racecourse to have lots of hand sanitiser dispensers around the place and encourage people to drink water as well as their preferred tipple. People that have booked accommodation etc are going to descend on the place anyway and then disperse back to their homes.

Matt Hancock, health secretary has said its already been discussed. ‘Large gathering, and large sporting events, including all football matches in the UK, will be postponed until the virus is contained’

He then named the 4 phase step to the coronavirus and how the UK will deal with it. We’re currently at stage 1, stage 2 is to postpone large gathering.

He spoke about this in morning TV. Been 12 new cases today. At what point we go to stage 2 I don’t know.

12 new cases since that interview.

Matt Hancock, health secretary has said its already been discussed. ‘Large gathering, and large sporting events, including all football matches in the UK, will be postponed until the virus is contained’

He then named the 4 phase step to the coronavirus and how the UK will deal with it. We’re currently at stage 1, stage 2 is to postpone large gathering.

He spoke about this in morning TV. Been 12 new cases today. At what point we go to stage 2 I don’t know.

12 new cases since that interview.

But he also added dissuading people from using public transport to that sentence and considering the infected count is only going to grow for the foreseeable, that could have a catastrophic impact on the country’s economy.

I’m actually concerned that is the sort of knee jerk reaction that we’ll get but it’s plain wrong.

Yes they were a staff member of a school and their friend who had been to Northern Italy. Unfortunately the staff member had been working back in school since so a lot of the other members have self isolated but may be too late ?

Don't know what time the meeting is.

The last week before the festival is always torture with the same opinions going around and around like a washing machine. This year the excruciating suffering has gone to new levels.

Just get to the decs for Tuesdsy to ****...

Slim, you’re absolutely spot on! This time of year is so exciting, putting bets on for next week, with the odd gutting notification that a horse is set to miss the festival!
Now, I’m not even placing bets in case it’s cancelled and companies don’t refund stakes (I know we have nrnb but not for all and best prices)!
My excited is replaced with anxiety!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is there no talk of any football games being called whilst racing is getting all the attention?

same crowds and grouping of people

Football by its nature will involve a lot more nations among the spectators

Last edited:
Key differences:-

1. It's much easier to hold a spectator less football game when companies like Sky would in many cases replace the loss in turnstile revenue to the clubs
2. It's significantly easier to rearrange a game of football between two clubs than it is a four day race meeting, especially when the springtime is the culmination of the NH season with Cheltenham, Aintree and Punchestown. Although the growing proximity to the Euros could pose a problem.
3. Racing fans tend to be an insular breed and therefore it's no surprise to see the headlines from the trade paper. I doubt it's been mentioned on the BBC etc. where there would be more focus on football matches should it get to that point.

But I agree with what I think you're trying to say in that surely football matches will be called off before discussion turn to the festival

And at what point do we think Cheltenham would be safe ?. Because I can't see them calling it off as late as the weekend, when many will have already travelled.

Slim, you’re absolutely spot on! This time of year is so exciting, putting bets on for next week, with the odd gutting notification that a horse is set to miss the festival!
Now, I’m not even placing bets in case it’s cancelled and companies don’t refund stakes (I know we have nrnb but not for all and best prices)!
My excited is replaced with anxiety!

just check the terms with whichever bookmaker you want to bet with, i'd imagine all but the shadiest of outfits will have a policy of voiding the bet unless the race is rescheduled in a certain time period (i'd guess 24 or 48 hours)

For regular gatherings in permanent venues it is relatively easy to cancel them on say a couple of days notice. The Festival is different and therefore I would expect a decision sooner rather than later.
I fall into two categories of higher risk, age and respiratory issues, and admit to having some concerns. Realistically unless I become a hermit can't see how I can avoid being infected, even when younger the flu really had a severe impact on me. Thankfully regular vaccination means that flu is no longer an issue but this virus is something different and there is no vaccine. I have a horrible feeling that simple hand washing might help but is more likely to be an act to provide comfort rather than a fully efficient safeguard.
Some big decisions to be made by the Government and individuals.
I'm off to my treehouse and trying to find out if I can buy mines on Amazon or EBay

Last edited:
250k people go through LHR every day. And that place has a roof to enclose it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Betfair exchange. Drift on it to be called off and racing on firming up. Some of the government boys were on the Exchange during that meeting.

At the moment Boris Johnson said people "should go about business as usual".

He said the UK was "very well prepared" and measures would be guided by scientific advice.

Further details would be announced in the coming days and weeks, as the situation developed, he added.

I'd say this should at least buy significant time for next week to get the green light.

Useful to know, just in case

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning.

It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Useful to know, just in case

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning.

It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Sounds a lot like the morning after 12 bottles of cider...

Back