Cheltenham Gold Cup 2015

Without wishing to divert the thread anymore that it currently has been but surely aftertiming is when you post on the "What Are You Backing Today" thread (or equivalent) after the horse has already won and not that you had two and sixpence e/w on Arkle in the 66 Gold Cup.

I better not post how much I won of Don't Push it then :lol::lol:

No problem with any of that DO or yourself.

Hand on my heart I have no idea who these bullies are bar one guy who is a clown not worth bothering with.

No Reet not you or your best pal EC1:lol: twas that Grassy he's a very bad boy :lol:

If anyone wonders if I am talking about him/her..............you got problems:p

Without wishing to divert the thread anymore that it currently has been but surely aftertiming is when you post on the "What Are You Backing Today" thread (or equivalent) after the horse has already won and not that you had two and sixpence e/w on Arkle in the 66 Gold Cup.

My sentiments exactly.......and it was four and sixpence I had on you bozo.....unfortunately it was in the Hennessy Gold Cup :lol:

Have to say that was pretty impressive by Djakadam. Not sure he beat all that much but, on that ground and with that weight, it was a good performance. Did not see that coming after his Hennessy performance when he seemed to just not stay. You would have to think he's Mullins best Gold Cup chance.

Have to say that was pretty impressive by Djakadam. Not sure he beat all that much but, on that ground and with that weight, it was a good performance. Did not see that coming after his Hennessy performance when he seemed to just not stay. You would have to think he's Mullins best Gold Cup chance.

That was quite a performance indeed. Top weight in heavy ground and went through it like a dream, beating a number of plots. I don't imagine he'll go for the Gold Cup this year and he'll probably go up to about 160 for that, meaning he's still short of Gold Cup class. Well done anyone who backed him today.

Careful now, pdleech. He was running off a mark of 145....that's 20lbs+ below what's needed in the Gold Cup.

They'd be better crossing their fingers and hoping he gets less than 7lbs.....and put him away for the National.

Last edited:
WPM was talking about the Gold Cup for Djakadam after today's race.

Last edited:
WPM was talking about the Gold Cup for Djakadam after today's race.

I am guessing that this is a natural by-product of Ricci wanting a runner (has every other G1 chase covered already) and Mullins having moderate faith in Boston Bob and On His Own.

Djakadam is of more interest for Aintree, imo. Have National entries been made yet, and is he amongst them??

I'm genuinely struggling to have an opinion in the Gold Cup. It's rare I'm not leaning towards something, and I just don't know where to start. It's got that profile where an improving handicapper could win it, but I just can't warm to Djakadam.

I am guessing that this is a natural by-product of Ricci wanting a runner (has every other G1 chase covered already) and Mullins having moderate faith in Boston Bob and On His Own.

Djakadam is of more interest for Aintree, imo. Have National entries been made yet, and is he amongst them??

No, he said he's always believed he would be a Gold Cup horse some day.

And his faith is re-affirmed after Djakadam wins a handicap chase off 145?

You have to love the optimism! :lol:

He wasn't saying he's going to win it this year but he expects him to be a proper contender for it some day

Will travel like a dream if he's allowed to take his chance this year. He's a bloody good horse make no mistake.

Last edited:
Dunno, Frankel.

It's a long way from winning a handicap chase off 145, to winning a Gold Cup - even in a year where there is no stand-out (and I'm probably being a bit parsimonious to Silviniaco Conti in that assessment too).

Dunno, Frankel.

It's a long way from winning a handicap chase off 145, to winning a Gold Cup - even in a year where there is no stand-out (and I'm probably being a bit parsimonious to Silviniaco Conti in that assessment too).

OHO won it off 142 last year

He's got a hell of a lot to find with Many Clouds et al on Hennessey form.

Many Clouds had already had a run. Djakadam was clearly short. Plenty were pulled up. The ground was tiring.

On decent ground Djakadam will be a player come March if allowed to take his chance.
I actually quite like Many Clouds if it comes up not too quick. I'm not one to dismiss him.

I may be wrong Grass but I think his lack of chase runs means he wouldn't be allowed to run in The National this year.

Maybe unfair to tar them all with the same brush - although, needing the run or not Djakadam ran poorly in the Hennessey - but I'd need to see Mullins' seasoned or even second season chasers perform better this side of the sea before backing one.

needing the run or not Djakadam ran poorly in the Hennessey

I thought the opposite. For most of the race he travelled like a proper class animal. He only faded late on through lack of fitness in the conditions and maybe a touch through inexperience. Obviously learned a lot from the outing and improved in the interim.

I'd need to watch the race again DO as I do recall him going out quickly and have to admit to not paying particular attention to him prior to that but the RP analysis seems to back up your argument.

OHO won it off 142 last year

Fair comment, actually......and it could be as poor (relatively speaking) a race again this year.

I'd still have worries about him staying, myself. I know he's gone 3m1f in Heavy ground yesterday, but the Gold Cup is going to be run much more like the Hennessy than the Thyestes, and I'd be inclined to think that a more helter-skelter gallop will find him out, in terms of stamina.

Back