Coral Eclipse

So You Think 8-11 - an even more preposterous price than for the Prince of Waless Stakes . He might win but the price does not reflect his chance on form - both Workforce and Snow Fairy have better form !

This is right. I don't know what's going on. SYT is obviously fancied but is clearly beatable and in Workforce and Snow Fairy he's up against two of the best in the business.

SYT will have to run better than he has in in life to win against these two.

I think the shortest priced loser of the Eclipse was a 3 to 1 on shot, so I can't imagine SYT is a mortal lock.

Tuesday's rain has eased it to Good, but they may still have to water with a dry week in prospect.

Be interesting to see who Coolmore use as a jockey for SYT. There will be a lot on handwringing among connections if he does not win this one.

Looks like the money is down on SYT ..there should be no excuses on Saturday. I expect him to win easily.

Heffernan would be logical as he rode him at the Curragh, but I also read they were considering Steven Arnold.

Coolmore's colours look nailed to the mast ... or is that just the great interest on this place that's making me think so.
Maybe as EC1 says, WF will remember he didn't like fast going ... we'll see.
The only money to be made is laying SYT. By me, that is. Then again it would be a thrill to win at the odds on WF.
I don't know what to do!

which isn't a bad posi at the mo. :)

I'm not one for fancy bets but is this a combination tricast opportunity with the front three in the betting?

Tricasts are only returned in handicaps.

Not strictly true, tricasts are regularly returned in other races at big meetings. Most races at Royal Ascot had a tricast returned and not just in the handicaps.

Edit: There will be a tricast if 8 or more run in the Eclipse. A tricast was returned in the 2009 Eclipse when 10 ran but not in 2010 when 5 ran.

Last edited:
Not strictly true, tricasts are regularly returned in other races at big meetings. Most raceIts at Royal Ascot had a tricast returned and not just in the handicaps.

However, there won't be a tricast returned on the Eclipse.

A Tricast is returned in the Cheltenham Gold Cup for example. Any idea how you find out which races return a tricast? It's not my thing but it's a joke that punters are guessing before big races if they can have the bet or not.

Betting...

If the dead eight take part, I wonder about an each-way bet. Some big-price horses have made the frame in the past and SRI PUTRA wouldn't be the worst 33/1 shot of all time.

If it's seven or less, I'm tempted to back WORKFORCE if he were to drift to 5/2 or even 9/4 which seems a massive price about a Derby and Arc winner though some would argue 10s about an Oaks winner takes some believing as well.

A Tricast is returned in the Cheltenham Gold Cup for example. Any idea how you find out which races return a tricast? It's not my thing but it's a joke that punters are guessing before big races if they can have the bet or not.

I'm pretty certain that if 8 run in a Group One then they return a tricast as well as at Cheltenham and Ascot.

I was under the impression that was the case but in saying that I very very rarely back anything other than straight win bets with the odd e/w so I could be wrong.

Stodge, Sri Putra is the one I would worry about if I did have that bet. He could run a big race.

Seamie confirmed-didn't he have a nightmare on George Washington a few years ago in the Eclipse.

Yes! I was there that day and watching George W run away with him on the way to the start and nearly run through the bushes was hilarious!

Back