Forum horse connections

I am hoping to have an article published on the subject of owners betting within the rules of racing. I already have comments from a trainer/owner and am looking to gather some quotes from an owner/punter if anyone would be kind enough to help me with this. I have 3 questions I would like to ask and if I can quote you on these I may be able to complete the article and possibly have it published somewhere.

Regards
Alan

Quite happy to help. PM me the questions or you could e mail me at roddy@foodnet.ltd.uk

Have two going tonight at Dundalk one with a small ew chance Copper Dock the other having his first run for us after being gelded and leaving Richard Hannons Indigo Iris. Copper is completely exposed and has been on the go for a long time. He is better over 5 nowadays. As he has gotten older he has seemed to need more races to get fit/sharp. He has a decent draw and Ben gets on well with him. Indigo has had a recent setback which has necessitated several anti-biotics and a break in work. He is a huge big stuffy horse and will need the run and probably further in time. The horse I will be backing tonight though is On The Loose. He has been working well, has won from brutal draws before and whilst never seeming to get this trip on grass would need this far on the quicker surface. The key to him is that he goes well fresh. I have taken some of the 25/1...there's plenty left.

We've had a slight change of plan with William Butler and had a call from our trainer last week to say that she wanted to run him at Cottenham this Sunday, this was followed by a lot of running around, filling in forms and signing up to pointless organisations that send you badges, tickets and books to read.

He had a small setback earlier in the week but we're entered in the PPORA Club Members race that opens the season in the UK, amongst the others entered are the ex-Paul Nicholls trained Grade 1 winning chaser Herecomesthetruth, a couple of ex-Irish rules horses in Renewed Challenge and Island Wood and Cottenham regulars Timeshift and Argentato. We've booked the excellent Will Hickman to ride and are hopeful of a good run, the trainer has 4 others entered (Betavix, Did You Ever, Mr Bed Bugs and Secret Palm) so hopeful of a decent start to the season.

If anyone is in the SW near Exeter then Black Forest Lodge is worth a visit and you might even bump into esteemed forum member Graysonscolumn on one of his long distance pointing jaunts :)

Whilst Cottenham is North East of Cambridge I believe (just beyond Histon) if anyone in East Anglia fancies taking in some racing following the abandonment of Huntingdon's meeting this weekend.

Martin

Best of luck Martin.
Apache Gold makes his hurdles debut Gowran Sat 1pm
Well schooled but up against it with the likes of Rogue Angel and Reine Angevine, part owned by TH member Cully.
Free entry for Tote Account holders so feel free to come and enjoy the fun.
I am the fingernail chewer, Baldeagle is as stated and Cully you cant miss!
Come on us!

We are going to point two of our former rules horses this season. Quattrocento and No Panic will race from Karen Lawthers yard owned by my my racing partner Paul Fullagar

Un Guet Apens entered for novice chases at Donny and Carlisle this week. Carlisle preferred at the moment.

Really pleased with William Butler on Sunday, the entries held up well and though he made progress through horses from the rear with about 6 furlongs to run he blew up on his first run of the season and was pulled up. It was the fastest race of the day and it was good to see the very promising Ally Stirling riding another winner after her Amateur Riders Handicap Hurdle victory on Dark Energy last week.

Now to sit down and see where we go next :)

Martin

Got Cross of Honour running today at Kempton in one of those "Bumpers for Jumpers". Two miles will obviously be on the sharp side for him and he's got a Henderson horse to beat (as has been the case nearly every time he's run!).

Thanks. He was quite impressive and just reconfirmed our belief that this is a horse with the potential to win a decent prize.

But Noel reported that he made quite a bad noise entering the straight, so he'll now have a second breathing op. Then we'll have a fresh horse to go to war with on good ground in the spring.

Also delighted to see Pure Style hose up by a wide margin today. He was just left for dead by Empiracle at Huntingdon, a horse I've now acquired a share in! Exciting times!

Last edited:
Back