Forum horse connections

I'm sure Chris is desperately disappointed in that run by STARGAZY. Hopefully, nothing's wrong. However, a fine effort from DIDDUMS to nearly grab 1st rosette - a very nice 2nd instead.

Meanwhile, forum connections were represented by a win - from NOVABRIDGE at the same course for Songsheet with her Bishopswood Bloodstock hat on - very, very easily, too. Mr Fallon did a darn good job.

Forum Connections represented by two winners yesterday - Kikos managed to get his head in front for the first time since Uttoxeter last year. Cracking run and we're hopeful based on yesterday that the breathing op is going to help him see out his races better. I didn't think he would win coming to the last but he pinged it and got up, which was great.

Last edited:
He's certainly not small and loves to jump. Hopefully the handicapper will do us a favour and not raise him more than 4lbs so we can run in another 0-115...

Excellent, Aragorn - sounds like the four horses got rather weary, but he prevailed! I took a look at his stats and it's interesting to note where the change of trainer takes place with some horses. KIKOS was visiting our southern courses until 2008, when he was suddenly off to Uttoxeter and Midlands courses. You wonder why, check, and find he was previously with demi-god Alan King. Another good French-bred. I wish you all more good results for the future.

Excellent, Aragorn - sounds like the four horses got rather weary, but he prevailed! I took a look at his stats and it's interesting to note where the change of trainer takes place with some horses. KIKOS was visiting our southern courses until 2008, when he was suddenly off to Uttoxeter and Midlands courses. You wonder why, check, and find he was previously with demi-god Alan King. Another good French-bred. I wish you all more good results for the future.

Renee Robeson is not to be underestimated as a trainer. She may be old but her and her Husband (Former Olympic showjumper no less) along with Stuart their assistant really know how to ready a horse. Take a look at their chase stats - They do particularly well in that sphere and have a very low faller rate. Kingy didn't work out that this horse doesn't go a yard on soft ground but stick fences in front of him over 2m on quick ground and he's half decent. To be fair to King though this one was one of Ogden's and I suspect he was shifting his NH stock at the time.

Look out for Silver Wren and Omaruru from their yard in the future. Two exciting young horses, particularly the latter who I think could be a real good 3m chaser in the future - There are shares available in him as well!

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Kauto, you got any nice ones out soon?

Last edited:
Thanks, Aragorn, for those very interesting insights, especially Renee not having many fallers. I'm concerned about opening up a new topic on the subject, in case it's taken the wrong way and another online squabble occurs, but it would be as useful to potential owners and surely potential punters to take such a statistic into account, no? It isn't whether you have a small, medium, or large string of chasers and hurdlers that matters as much as how many of them are regularly racing, coming in sound, and going out again in a reasonable timeframe. If your animals are prone to falling, then I imagine that once you've taken such (apparently very common) problems such as inefficient eyesight, hidden injuries causing pain, etc., out of the equation, then the question comes round to whether it's inadequate or rushed schooling.

I've no idea if such a statistic exists in some higher arcana of racing's archives, but it would certainly be fascinating to find out which NH trainers have the highest faller rates, and if they're more falling chasers or falling hurdlers. From the very basic trail I keep through the seasons (and it's by no means comprehensive), NH horses suffer the most fatalities, through falling. Within that group, chasers are still outweighing hurdlers and Bumper fallers (the latter often being a case of SU on turns or clipping heels by travelling too close - jockey error), and with that sub-group of falling chasers, is the majority of on-course fatalities.

Thus, it's useful, I feel, to most of us to know if a particular yard produces a higher yield of fallen horses than others, and why some yards have virtually no fallers through their horses' form - or, at worst, falls which are the result of outside influence, like slippery/unsafe ground or being barged in-flight.

My filly Trendline runs today in the 3.15 @ Newbury in a 1m 2f maiden. Looks a reasonably strong heat with a Stoute hotpot in there. Trainer thinks the horse is in good form and should go close at 12/1 is probably worth an each way bet.

What's your take with Monitor Closely these days Kauto? A shame he seems nothing like the force of old.

Tough to say really as last year was difficult becuase he couldnt be trained fully as we didn't know what his knee would take. When he did run the only time he got his ground was at York first run back and he looked very likely to win but blew up for fitness. After that the ground wasn't right but still ran some ok races and the form from alot of them has worked out very well. The first run this year again he blew up for fitness and the jockey was easy on him but he travelled like the best horse in the race imo and probably over a trip short of what he needs. He is such a gross horse as well it is gonna take time to get him cherry ripe but he can be trained this year more aggressively now we know what the knee can take and I'm pretty adamant when he gets the right underfoot conditions over the right trip he can win a very good race. If he doesn't he owes me nothing and I love him to bits the big brute so will have enjoyed the ride.

Cheers for the speedy reply. Agree with you that he still travels like it's all there, glad to hear there are valid excuses for him not doing off the bridle looks likely. All the best with him.

Kauto has the 4 y.o. STRONG VIGILANCE with Michael Bell, who's currently loving Wolverhampton, with a win there last month and another in February.

FAREER goes in the 6.15pm Listed Mile at Donny today. Be interesting to see whether the trip back etc from Dubai has had any effect on him. He's favourite and yard is in form but he has a joint problem and you never know when that will kick in.

Back