Forum horse connections

:lol::lol:

If we think that owners need long pockets, my lesson learned is that breeders' pockets don't have bottoms in them at all. It wasn't until I dipped into the lark that I learned you pay for so many more things than I'd realised. Not just the obvious, like buying a mare, paying for a stallion (even with friendly discounts), for feed and a vet's attentions, but a good half-grand just to get into a sale and nearly the same for foal prep fees beforehand.

I'd gaily assumed you, the breeder, just walked into the (free to enter) sale with the foal on a halter, and that was it. Not a bit of it - the little beasties are walked for around six weeks beforehand so that they don't go bonkers in the ring. And you pay for that, of course.

I also didn't know one paid handsomely for the privilege of putting one's little darlings into that ring - I thought the sales percentages taken by the auction houses would've been quite enough to keep them in silk ties and champagne, as per other auctions. Wronnnggg!

I also learned - as I said above - that buying a winning mare doesn't translate into winning progeny, and neither does the use of a fabulous sire (AGNES WORLD - soon known as Dud after the first couple of seasons), although thankfully we didn't lob out the £65,000 he commanded, as we bought the mare already i/f during a stud's Spring clear-out of older lots.

There is also the tragic side for which, naively, I was unprepared. We all know that old horses die eventually, and that a percentage get lost in action. What I never thought of happening was that a colt of just seven weeks could be found with a hock broken, obliviously suckling off his Mum, and have to be destroyed. He was by first-time sire TRADE FAIR, and a really feisty little chestnut fellow.

Also, using first-time sires will always be a punt - some work out better than others. Sometimes much better than others! We used ICEMAN on BARRANTES, after the TRADE FAIR foal. He'd been a decent middle-range Group horse before getting injured in a race (struck into). I'd gone to see him at Cheveley Park beforehand, and we decided on him as much as anything to bring better looks to the dam's offspring, since she's plain.

The ICEMANs haven't exactly burned up the track, but as far as foal sales went, it was a disaster - the poor chap died of colic four days before the first sales carrying his progeny, with the result that no-one was going to be interested. We ended up giving his filly away, having kept her up to a yearling - we were glad we could actually manage that, unlike many unsolds who simply 'disappeared'. The recession plus ICEMAN's early death took care of any last glimmer of getting even the minimum bid (£840) for her, which is what we did manage to prise out of the buyer of TRY THE CHANCE, the MAJESTIC MISSILE (also first timer), currently with Mick Channon. However, with the auctioneers taking their cut, the final amount which my chum and I didn't even bother to find a pocket for was...

...£75. :D

Cautionary tale for anyone thinking of trying it out 'for fun' - it will definitely test your sense of humour! And it sure can live up to the adage of starting off with a large fortune in order to make a small one.

Got a few running the next few days with chances.
Book`em Danno FFos Las tomorrow
Quattrocento FFos Las Fri
No Panic, Cartmel Sat
Too far away to make a proper job of investing but they will all be trying of course

Got a few running the next few days with chances.
Book`em Danno FFos Las tomorrow
Quattrocento FFos Las Fri
No Panic, Cartmel Sat
Too far away to make a proper job of investing but they will all be trying of course

Nice line up Roddy - best of luck - Copper Dock runs st Ffos Llas on Friday - didn't think he'd get in so no time to make travel arrangements. Would have been nice to meet up - some other time maybe!

I have a visitor staying for an undetermined time, so may not have ATR on as much as usual, as her preferences are soaps and game shows for daytime tv, so I'll say a blanket "good luck, everybody" for now, and hope all go well and come home safely.

Nice line up Roddy - best of luck - Copper Dock runs st Ffos Llas on Friday - didn't think he'd get in so no time to make travel arrangements. Would have been nice to meet up - some other time maybe!

would have been great to meet but I am in Dominican Republic just recovering from Hurricane Irene.for sure there will be a time.Hope you win

Hope you're enjoying the break Roddy and good luck. Was over there myself a few years ago - lovely part of the world, though the island has had no luck with the Haiti disaster and now Hurricane Irene too :(

Well, he got round safely and bunged nearly a grand into the pot for Roddy O, but the analyses from Cartmel look a bit desperate today: plodded, plugged on, tailed off, very tired, soon weakened, distant... sounds as if the 'soft' ground fair wore them out.

Sail Home runs in the last at Goodwood over 1m3f in an amateurs race. Julia's son Ross will ride her and she has apparently been working very well at home. She's back to her last winning mark and the ground/trip will be perfect for her and it's a terrible race but she's put in some shockers and will need to bounce back. I'm tempted to chance a few small loyalty pounds EW at 12/1 with the dead 8 runners.

Gaul Wood meanwhile has had his shin drilled into which apparently helps the healing (no idea how) and we're hoping he'll be back on track in November before an AW campaign up until the Doncaster HIT sales in Feb when a decision will be made as to his future with us.

Meanwhile, quick plug... I'm getting a small syndicate together with colleagues and friends for next season with Julia and will have a couple of spots free. Looking to either get a cheap yearling at Book 3 Tatts from a first season sire or a Juddmonte/Darley castoff at the HIT spending no more than about 6k. Julia has done well with these types in the past so could be fun. Drop me a PM if anyone is interested.

Gamla, just Google "drilling into horses' shins" and there are loads of informative articles on why GAUL WOOD's going through the process. In the US, it's referred to as '"bucked" shins. We call it inflammation of the cannon bone (the long front leg bone beneath the knee), and very fine surgical drilling into these areas can assist to repair the damage. Damage that's very common, one must say, in young racehorses, especially in the 2 y.o. market.

There's about an eighth of horses with early shin problems who will not respond to work on them and who will need to leave impact work like racing. They may just always be prone to getting sore/inflamed shins, in the same way that heavy horses and especially small ponies which have been allowed to become overweight can become prone to foot inflammatory diseases like laminitis.

Hopefully, he'll recover just fine and will be okay. Good luck with SAIL HOME (I do love her name) and with future purchases. Julia's a fine lady - I'm very fond of her approach with horses.

Last edited:
Thanks for the education Kri. I always feel guilty that my veterinary knowledge isn't what it should be given how involved I am with the sport these days as a punter and semi-owner!

I educated myself at the same time, Gamla! I knew there were some 'invasive procedures' available, but never bothered to find out what. Your post tweaked my interest and I had a quick Google and found loads of information on drilling bones. I knew about early damage, though, and chronic recurrences which put paid to some types of work - a bit like human runners who keep getting shin splints. It's often when - just like human athletic counterparts - the horse is a bit overweight/out of condition (doesn't have enough support muscle, etc.) or is short of steady, gradual work. Because 2 y.o. legs are still growing (horses aren't considered fully complete as adults until they're 8), they're prone to a number of issues flaring up. They're still putting down bone density, their knees are often not fully closed up ("open knees"), ligaments are still a bit fragile, etc., all part of their growing process.

The difficulty with young leg bones is two schools of thought: American veterinary studies have shown that early, consistent and steady exercise encourages the growth of bone density, but too much galloping (as against plenty of trotting) and certainly early racing can lead to bone problems in youngsters. It's not until they begin to race that the grouches and grumbles show up, and then your trainer - in your case a good one who knows what she's about - hauls out the vet, seeks a treatment, and doesn't knock the horse about.

You shouldn't feel guilty at all - there are loads of owners who wouldn't know a gaskin from a gasket - but it doesn't stop them loving racing and adoring their horses. Enjoyment is what it's about, with the trainer and the vet knowing the fancy words and remedies!

The difficulty with young leg bones is two schools of thought: American veterinary studies have shown that early, consistent and steady exercise encourages the growth of bone density, but too much galloping (as against plenty of trotting) and certainly early racing can lead to bone problems in youngsters. It's not until they begin to race that the grouches and grumbles show up, and then your trainer - in your case a good one who knows what she's about - hauls out the vet, seeks a treatment, and doesn't knock the horse about.

Thanks Kri. Should point out that Gaul Wood is with Tom Dascombe and my boss has the majority share (significant majority too!) although I would like him to go to Julia's yard one day.

Sail Home meanwhile was behaving like a right madam in the parade ring again and got really warm beforehand. She travelled very well but lacks a turn of foot and Ross seemed to think she shirked from hitting the front, the monkey. We'll either have to pop her out infront again although she gets moody as soon as she gets headed or try exaggerated waiting tactics with her and trick her into winning. She ran a lot better than recent runs though. I suggested some blinkers or other headgear but Julia made the very valid point that she already gets sparked up enough and may make her even more loopy.

Yes, of course Gaul's with Tom - honestly, my memory bank's running very low on the memory bit, let alone the bank! Sorry, Gamla. Sunny Pines Home for the Terminally Bewildered beckons...

Glad SAIL HOME is improving. Your idea of blinkers wasn't a bad one, in that it would focus her attention away from where other horses were around her (or not). Yes, it might make her more fizzy, but then again, they do focus horses whose attention tends to wander - to the crowd, or by who's in front, alongside, out the back, etc. Worth a try, in order to see if it concentrates madam's mind!

Violet's Gift is running her second race today in the 4.15 at Redcar. Hopefully the 6f will suit her better and the ground hasn't dried out too much as she needs a bit of cut.
We've been told she's improved since Kempton and wouldn't be without an each way chance so fingers crossed. Silvestre De Sousa is on board

Last edited:
Best of luck, I hope she shows some potential today and comes back eager for more.

Somebody fancies her a bit, judging from the betting on Betfair. Stablemate Llewellyn is drifting and your girl is being nibbled at (if you'll pardon the expression). Mind you it's early days and the amounts involved are small.

Since nobody noticed it, and I'm very pleased as my co-breeder and I will get a few quid in breeders' prize money, TRY THE CHANCE enjoyed the lug up Carlisle's finishing hill last night to win Class 4 usefully. Been a bit off the boil in his last two runs after showing very good initial promise, I'm hoping he'll continue to knock a few more in for Jaber Abdullah/Mick Channon.

Back