Frankel V Canford Cliffs

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
I am fairly convinced that Paddy Power will try to take on Frankel in some way -either best price or an amazing concession.They need a headline concession for the week.

I am a massive fan of both horses - I just hope it is a great race ,neither flops and as much as i don't really rate Queally - jockey error plays no part in the result.

Me too. Looks like being a tiny field and I hope tactics don't spoil it. Given a true run race, as much as I admire Frankel, I can't really see how he will beat Canford. Canford will sit on the pace and pounce decisively at the death, as he did last year. I'm not convinced that Frankel will have any more answers than RVW had.

Stating the obvious but this could turn into a bloody mess of a race with just the 4 runners. I personally can't see how Frankel isn't going to have to make his own running again which IMO is gonna put a big bullseye on his backend for Canford

Stating the obvious but this could turn into a bloody mess of a race with just the 4 runners. I personally can't see how Frankel isn't going to have to make his own running again which IMO is gonna put a big bullseye on his backend for Canford

Frankel = Phil Taylor
Canford Cliffs = James Wade

Cecil says that they won't run him like they did in the Guineas, but even assuming all four run it's difficult to see Queally wrestling him to the back if the others don't go on.

Last edited:

Exactly. And I would back Canford to pick him up at least 2 times out of 3. Canford is such a good price here.

Four runners in this. Five in the King George. Absolute joke.

Too many horses in the hands of not enough owners.

This race sums up why flat racing is becoming shit. In 1992 when Marling took on Selkirk and Second Set you had an eight runner field with eight different sets of connections. Now you have the biggest operation not taking on CC because they have a stake at him in stud?

Last edited:
7 runners in last year's Sussex.
8 the previous year.
6 the previous year.
8 the previous year.

All 4 of those races were savage.

I would be more worried about the way in which the King George is going, with a dilution in terms of both money and quality of horse.

We just had the best line up (pre-race) we've had since Alamshar's race - the King George is fine.

Thank god we only have three months until the Jumps start then. What should be a magnificent occasion is partly ruined. Dilution is also part of the problem though. Strong Suit and Delegator would be ideal runners in this race - and yet they're tied up in a crappy Group 2 that no one will remember ten hours after it's run, never mind ten years. And wtf has Fahey done with Wootton Bassett? Handicap trainer.

surprising one of the big 2 are not running a pacemaker in the race, if Frankel settles the small field is a big advantage for him.

Seeing the buid up , looks like Frankel camp is confident enough and the horse will do the talking.

The form of Frankel is perfect, his victims winning Irish Derby, KG, July Cup etc.....

surprising one of the big 2 are not running a pacemaker in the race, if Frankel settles the small field is a big advantage for him.

Seeing the buid up , looks like Frankel camp is confident enough and the horse will do the talking.

The form of Frankel is perfect, his victims winning Irish Derby, KG, July Cup etc.....

Against that you have a horse that has won five Group 1s in a row and beaten the likes of RVW and the supposedly unbeatable Goldikova.

I wouldn’t want to be leading Canford into the final furlong with a horse that has visibly faded at the end of his last couple of races for all the tea in China… if Goldikova couldn't hold him off Frankel won't either.

Last edited:
Thanks Barry... It seems that Frankel may truly have himself to beat. I hope Hannon owns up now rather than later if something is wrong. It might give them a chance to re-open the race.

Last edited:
And wtf has Fahey done with Wootton Bassett? Handicap trainer.

He's not running at Goodwood because he scoped badly on Sunday morning.

And what he's done with him is win £535,540 in prize money. The horse cost £46,000 as a yearling.

The owners must really be cheesed off.

He's not running at Goodwood because he scoped badly on Sunday morning.

And what he's done with him is win £535,540 in prize money. The horse cost £46,000 as a yearling.

The owners must really be cheesed off.

Fair points I suppose, but money earned as a 2yo is hardly indicative of how good a trainer is with a certain class of animal. Look at Meehan.

I've heard a rumour of a problem with Canford Cliffs well being. The move for Frankel the last two days may have been a cynical one.

I told this to Gearoid, who may pass this information off as his own.

:lol:

All jokes aside is there any reason not to take 5/6; The price is going to collapse.

I've heard a rumour of a problem with Canford Cliffs well being. The move for Frankel the last two days may have been a cynical one.

[FONT=&quot]I’ve had a hefty wager on Canford (NRNB) on the way home, anticipating that there is a cynical premium in his price that will dry up when/if he does run.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’ve had a hefty wager on Canford (NRNB) on the way home, anticipating that there is a cynical premium in his price that will dry up when/if he does run.[/FONT]

The money keeps coming for Frankel.

Back