If You Are Going Racing And Fancy Meeting

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
Originally posted by Headstrong@Oct 13 2007, 01:06 AM
Kempton Saturday. Big crowd of us going, all v jolly - will be in Panoramic Restaurant

Cheltenham Friday 19th, God willing... If anyone can give me a lift from Lambourn and back - or anywhere en route - I'd be v grateful: my car is overheating in low gears so I might blow up in the queue to get into the course!
The 19th is a Monday, try the 16th. :P

I will be Wincanton on Saturday, then Taunton next week, and Cheltenham all weekend before Wincanton on the 22nd.

Cheltenham Fri Sat Sun

Then over to the Emerald Isle for

Fairyhouse Wed

Thurles Thurs

Dundalk Fri

Gowran Park Sat

Navan Sunday

Also doing a couple of stable visits

Note Snowy Morning entered in a hurdle race at Thurles Thursday,

If anyone fancies a drink at any of the meetings over there this week PM me your mobile and I will give ye a ring on course.

Originally posted by Love Everlasting@Nov 23 2007, 11:11 AM
Is anyone going to lingfield on saturday?
Eh??????!!!!!!!!!

Ali, love - there are three superb cards on at Ascot, Haddock and Huntingdon, in the NH season, and you want to go watch the poxy sand racing?!

We need to have serious words, my girl!!! :D

There are two good listed races at Lingfield and to be honest I would hardly call the Huntingdon card superb. One race is but not all of them.

Im off to watch Bristol City beat Leicester (Hopefully) and hopefully get a nice text saying my lay of Kauto (former) Star has got beat.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Nov 23 2007, 06:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Nov 23 2007, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Love Everlasting@Nov 23 2007, 11:11 AM
Is anyone going to lingfield on saturday?
Eh??????!!!!!!!!!

Ali, love - there are three superb cards on at Ascot, Haddock and Huntingdon, in the NH season, and you want to go watch the poxy sand racing?!

We need to have serious words, my girl!!! :D [/b][/quote]
:laughing: noooo im not going, thats the whole point. i'm needing a favour off someone who is going!!!! Given the choice it would b haydock for me but i'l be sat in the pub in front of a nice warm fire, pint and the racing!

Originally posted by uncle goober@Nov 23 2007, 08:35 PM
hopefully get a nice text saying my lay of Kauto (former) Star has got beat.

This means you have laid him but you hope he wins.

Is that really what you mean Chris ? :P
:P :shy:

No just realised how I have put that. Provided he comes home safe and sound and no better than 2nd I will be happy.

Only one big bet tomorrow and thats Racing Demon, nailed on, dont care if he's odds on he will be my biggest bet for some time. Absolutely love the horse and think he can run them ragged tomorrow.

Taunton Thursday
Lingfield Friday
Newbury Saturday

Anyone else going to be at any of these so I can do my best to avoid you? :suspect:

Newbury Fri & Sat, just possibly Sunday too! depending on how things go at the Moores' in the morning

Saturday at Newbury is going to be heaving as always, several forumites going so far as I know...
Fri is a better day for doing the social thing, it will be less crowded and they won't hive people off into odd corners acc to their badge, the way they tend to on Hennessy day :brows:

Originally posted by Diamond Geezer@Nov 14 2007, 11:06 PM
Cheltenham Fri Sat Sun

Then over to the Emerald Isle for

Fairyhouse Wed

Thurles Thurs

Dundalk Fri

Gowran Park Sat

Navan Sunday

Also doing a couple of stable visits
Glad to see from other threads today that you survived your marathon, DG. Any tales to tell?

Originally posted by Grey@Nov 28 2007, 11:25 PM
Glad to see from other threads today that you survived your marathon, DG. Any tales to tell?
After a couple of enjoyable days at Cheltenham on the Fri and Sat including meeting up with various peeps from various racing forums, Mrs DG and I bottled it on Sunday owing to the extreme cold.

Monday met a racing mate from Derby off the train and put him up for the night and Tuesday morning some others arrived to leave their cars in our drive as our party, 27 of us, were travelling to Heathrow by coach. As we left one of the women in our party asked if she could use the bathroom, no probs. (More later)
Don't ask me why we didn't fly from Bristol or Birmingham I'm still puzzling over it meself :rolleyes: . Tuesday evening saw us ensconsed in our base, The Glenroyal Hotel in Maynooth.

Wed morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed, we set sail for Fairyhouse. Now i've been practising my paddock watching skills and the one who stood out for me in the first was a horse of Tom Taafe's called Supreme Ruler. Went round the front to the bookies and it was 33-1 on some boards.

"Well that won't win then, how did I manage to pick that donkey, anyway JP's Jered is a cert" so walked away.

You know the rest :(

Didn't have a bet at all after that but was tempted by the gamble on Rebel Run which also won FFS. Impressed by the manner of Line Ball's victory in the beginner's chase.

Back to the coach after being manhandled by various old women selling fruit and Toblerone. Why is it always Toblerone ?.

Quick change at the hotel and off to the Arlington Hotel in Dublin city centre for their Irish night. Nice meal and a band on stage, what a poser the singer is, jeez. Bit of Irish dancing too, good looking girls, couldn't tell you about the lads.

Thursday we set off early for Thurles. Talk about the roots of racing, I,ve been in better hay sheds, although to be fair the course is well liked by the professionals.

A nice horse of Noel Meade's Dark Artist wins the opener at 20-1 under Paul Carberry, how did we let that get away?

Liam Healy, racing photographer, has a horse running in the next (Kerry's Cottage) and arranges owners and trainers badges for a few of us and a chance to be in the erm...parade ring. Meanwhile Mrs DG and her mate who's even more nuts than my missus chat up the voice of Ireland who has his back to a wall with no escape :P Liam tells us Barry Cash has "Got off" his horse to ride the certain winner, a horse he won on at Punchestown the previous weekend called Ilringuback.

Kerry's Cottage finishes 5th, Ilringuback 10th, onwards and upwards.

Meade and Carberry have another winner and there's a couple of other races and we're on our way back to the hotel. Tonight we have "guests" to dinner.
They are Francis Hyland,bookmaker, Kevin and Rosalind Smith, ex President of Irish Racing Clubs, John Carr,trainer who's stables we visit tomorrow and Philip Carberry.
After dinner there's a kinda forum thing with the guests answering various questions from us. I am afraid the Guiness rendered my brain from remembering much of this.

Friday we went to John Carr's and first up we had a chance to make aquaintance with Sublimity and after taking a polo he advised me he was a cert to win the CH again. We went up to the Wexford sand gallops to watch the next string headed by Sublimity himself, his young owner always rides him out. The other work riders include two Brazilians, two Poles and two Czechs, boyfriend and girlfriend, who the trainer spotted riding out on the morning of the Pardubicka
and who travelled back with him when offered a chance to work with him. The trainer reckons he pays 100 euros a week more than most other stable lads get in order to get the best quality riders. The gallop is about 1m 3f around and he says he can get them as fit as he wants here without leaving home although he has grass gallops a short distance away where horses go if they need a change of scenery. JP Mcmanus has just bought the farm across the road (for 12 million euros ?)for breeding purposes, horses that is, not him.
Sublimity worked well, ne needs six weeks between races so goes for the Boylesports in two weeks time, the AIG at the end of January and the CH in March.

"Will not be beaten" is the very strong message.

We then set off up the motorway to Dundalk. As we were in good time we made a last minute detour to check out the beach at Laytown.

Picture this. One bloke on a beach walking his dog when suddenly 27 foreigners pounce on him, I'm sure he thought he was in for a good kicking :D Turns out he's a Paddy Power employee on a day off and he explains to us all about Laytown races, where they start, where they finish etc and it was easy to imagine what takes place here once a year. We stop just up the road and go into a hotel called Neptune Sands (?). Inside the walls are covere in racing pictures, turns out the owner (Denise Regan ?) owned Shes Our Mare, trained by Tony Martin amongst others and there's pictures of various Laytown meetings,Lester and all sorts of historic occasions.

Bloody freezing at Dundalk, frost on the rails but inside the food is excellent and it's a good craic. Highlight for us was Harchibald in the last running an excellent race to be second and a good pipe opener for the Fighting Fifth. Johnny Murtagh rides a treble too. Late back to the hotel, straigh to bed but no sleep as the hotel is overrun by some political party for youngsters who run amok in the corridors and partake in what sounds like sexual olympics in the next room. Don't know what they looked like but Orla, Fiona and Darren sounded like they took Gold Silver and Bronze.

Saturday took us off to Gowran Park, smashing little course and a few winners to boot, but biggest cheer of the afternoon came from Hacketts Bookmakers when Hardy Eustace won at Ascot. Back to the hotel and dinner for the last time. quite a rumbustious evening I seem to recall, but another sleepless night, Orla and Darren have more stamina than Red Rum.

Sunday racing at Navan, the voice of Ireland looked distinctly nervous when he saw Mrs DG and her mad mate but all in all enjoyed it apart from the casualties in the Troytown and then it was off to Dublin Airport for the flight home and a coach ride back to Cheltenham.

We get home just after midnight. As Mrs DG turns the lock we hear the sound of running water. Remember the silly bitch who used our bathroom just before we left? Only left the hot water tap running on full power hasn't she. Who was it invented water meters? There's steam everywhere, condensation dripping from all the ceilings and walls, fortunately the water has drained away and we aren't flooded which wouls have been ironic after surving the Gloucestershire floods unscathed. Any winnings are deposited in a pot awaiting the humungous water bill from Severn Trent.

Back to the coach after being manhandled by various old women selling fruit and Toblerone. Why is it always Toblerone ?.

I lived there for 27 years and I couldn't figure it out either.

Glad to hear you had a good time anyway!

Back