Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Stay or Leave

• Stay

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Leave

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters
Believe it or not, the rest of Europe has an interest in this too.

I'd be confident the European Court of Justice will rule that once a Member State presses the Article 50 button it then has to go through with it. Anything else would be an open invitation for the likes of Orban to hold the rest of us to ransom.

And Europe wouldn't relish the thought of a split UK returning to the fold with an enraged and sizeable minority denied their Brexit and determined to cause trouble.

Remainers should be looking to demographics to work in their favour and reapply to join when there is a convincing majority in favour of it.

I think leaving the EU is probably going to be one of the biggest mistakes that I have known any UK government make in my lifetime.
I voted to remain and certainly would not change my vote, although I do wonder whether the damage has already been done.
Remove the reference to UK in that post and you have an accurate summary of the situation the UK has it themselves in. If it wasn't so serious it would be ******* hilarious

I'd be confident the European Court of Justice will rule that once a Member State presses the Article 50 button it then has to go through with it. Anything else would be an open invitation for the likes of Orban to hold the rest of us to ransom.

And Europe wouldn't relish the thought of a split UK returning to the fold with an enraged and sizeable minority denied their Brexit and determined to cause trouble.

Remainers should be looking to demographics to work in their favour and reapply to join when there is a convincing majority in favour of it.

Rational and sensical.

Over 100 migrants in Dinghis picked up by Dover coastguards in the last 2 weeks... so how many are gonna be allowed to pull this stunt before the Govt do owt...try and answer this question honestly without being called a Racist... 10..20..50..100..1000 a day or what bruvs ... anyone living near the coast is gonna get it ... ENJOY

On what basis are you “confident” about the ECJ ruling against revocation of an Article 50 notification, Art?

Self-evidently, there has been no previous legal precedent the ECJ can refer to, so where does this confidence come from?

As for a single EU country holding the rest of the bloc to ransom on the back of an A50 notice, the evidence of the UK experience would suggest this is nonsense. It is - and always has been - crystal clear, that the EU holds all the cards, and once you are in, and attempt to exit is an act of self-violation. There is precisely nothing an A50-invoking country can do to ‘threaten’ the residual bloc. Indeed, the parlous financial state of some of the southern-edge economies, present a much greater danger to the EU, than Brexit does.

As for the rest of the EU not “relishing” the thought of the UK “returning to the fold” and causing “trouble”, if A50 can be revoked, then we will never have left the fold. And if a countries suitability for EU membership is to be measured by how vocal its EU sceptics are, then perhaps the EU needs to consider giving France, Italy, Greece, Poland and Hungary the heave? This is a facile argument, and whilst I can understand your frustration about Brexit, it is beneath you to be suggesting that this should exclude the UK from ongoing participation in the EU.

Over 100 migrants in Dinghis picked up by Dover coastguards in the last 2 weeks... so how many are gonna be allowed to pull this stunt before the Govt do owt...try and answer this question honestly without being called a Racist... 10..20..50..100..1000 a day or what bruvs ... anyone living near the coast is gonna get it ... ENJOY

Wow! 100+ in two weeks?......that’s over 2500+ each year!!......huge numbers!!

Arsehole.

These numbers will go up because of Brexit, not in spite of it, because when we exit the EU, the incentive for France to staunch the flow on their side of the Channel, is gone forever.

Also, as EU migration falls through the floor, Asian migration continues to climb, as our economy tries to plug the gaps that Brexit has created. This is the predictable and inevitable outcome of Brexit, because - in a democracy - even the pig-sh*it-thick get to cast a vote.

ENJOY.

Last edited:
On what basis are you “confident” about the ECJ ruling against revocation of an Article 50 notification, Art?

Self-evidently, there has been no previous legal precedent the ECJ can refer to, so where does this confidence come from?

As for a single EU country holding the rest of the bloc to ransom on the back of an A50 notice, the evidence of the UK experience would suggest this is nonsense. It is - and always has been - crystal clear, that the EU holds all the cards, and once you are in, and attempt to exit is an act of self-violation. There is precisely nothing an A50-invoking country can do to ‘threaten’ the residual bloc. Indeed, the parlous financial state of some of the southern-edge economies, present a much greater danger to the EU, than Brexit does.

As for the rest of the EU not “relishing” the thought of the UK “returning to the fold” and causing “trouble”, if A50 can be revoked, then we will never have left the fold. And if a countries suitability for EU membership is to be measured by how vocal its EU sceptics are, then perhaps the EU needs to consider giving France, Italy, Greece, Poland and Hungary the heave? This is a facile argument, and whilst I can understand your frustration about Brexit, it is beneath you to be suggesting that this should exclude the UK from ongoing participation in the EU.

My confidence in the likely ECJ ruling comes from the logic of the situation, NIck. Don't worry, I don't know any more about the inner workings of the judges' minds than you or anyone else.

The UK's departure is a loss for Europe, nearly everyone would have preferred it not to happen, and it seems increasing numbers of British people see it that way too. I feel very sorry for people such as yourself, who are shocked by what is happening to their country. But logic surely says you can't have a country, or worse a group of countries, hovering indefinitely in the hallway with their coats on. It would become a new form of veto for some leaders and would tie up big parts of the Commission bureaucracy in endless negotiations. Pressing the Article 50 button only weakens a country's position if everyone knows the decision is not reversible.

Europe never suggested the UK should leave, that decision was made in the UK itself. The country is now split down the middle, so what guarantee is there if it stays in that we won't be put through this whole procedure again in another year or two?

My confidence in the likely ECJ ruling comes from the logic of the situation, NIck. Don't worry, I don't know any more about the inner workings of the judges' minds than you or anyone else.

The UK's departure is a loss for Europe, nearly everyone would have preferred it not to happen, and it seems increasing numbers of British people see it that way too. I feel very sorry for people such as yourself, who are shocked by what is happening to their country. But logic surely says you can't have a country, or worse a group of countries, hovering indefinitely in the hallway with their coats on. It would become a new form of veto for some leaders and would tie up big parts of the Commission bureaucracy in endless negotiations. Pressing the Article 50 button only weakens a country's position if everyone knows the decision is not reversible.

Europe never suggested the UK should leave, that decision was made in the UK itself. The country is now split down the middle, so what guarantee is there if it stays in that we won't be put through this whole procedure again in another year or two?

I love when Grey posts on matters EU/Brexit. All I have to do is remember wot he rote and I will subsequently sound very informed and learned at tomorrow nights dinner party. Thanks G.

I'm back!!!

As for a single EU country holding the rest of the bloc to ransom on the back of an A50 notice, the evidence of the UK experience would suggest this is nonsense. It is - and always has been - crystal clear, that the EU holds all the cards, and once you are in, and attempt to exit is an act of self-violation.

Not true there are big differences. We don't have the Euro but if a major nation such as Italy decides to invoke Article 50 then they'd have to leave the currency and what happens at that point to the whole experiment.

Wow! 100+ in two weeks?......that’s over 2500+ each year!!......huge numbers!!

Arsehole.

These numbers will go up because of Brexit, not in spite of it, because when we exit the EU, the incentive for France to staunch the flow on their side of the Channel, is gone forever.

Also, as EU migration falls through the floor, Asian migration continues to climb, as our economy tries to plug the gaps that Brexit has created. This is the predictable and inevitable outcome of Brexit, because - in a democracy - even the pig-sh*it-thick get to cast a vote.

ENJOY.

Well i hope you live on the coast you Prick ..cos your have em camping in your garden....spread the love baby

https://news.sky.com/story/top-eu-l...n-halt-brexit-by-revoking-article-50-11571293

While it's not binding on the court, it's a good start.

Last edited:
True, this opinion is not binding on the court, but in the vast majority of cases the court follows the advocate's opinion.

I'm genuinely surprised, because it leaves the whole Article 50 procedure open to deliberate manipulation by any leader planning mischief (not that I think that is the case with the UK brexit).

So where next? This poll is interesting: http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/steve-fisher-condorcet

Ive not been for 3 years , i usually go in the Club enclosure.. Mandarin Bar ... maybe this year .

Pay attention to the wording of that proposition, you might need to consult a lawyer first.

Pay attention to the wording of that proposition, you might need to consult a lawyer first.

I wouldn't bet on it for fear I'd have to follow Brexit daily. Between that, Trump and the homeless and housing crisis in Ireland turning on the news is a form of torture.

Agree 100%.

Was at home today for 10 mins and had the TV on TV3. Dáithí Ó Sé was giving the preview of the show where one item was them discussing Trump's manners at the George HW Bush funeral. Seriously? **** off.

Last edited:
Daithi isn't the worst -openly admits to reading the Racing Post and stops off in Domino's at least once a week.

About time both sides put their money where their mouths are.

If Leavers are so confident that they still have the majority, why reject a second referendum?

If Remainers think that the mood has changed for good, then vote for a regular, periodic (every 5 years) referendum.

If Parliament can't agree on a course of action, I think that they should have another referendum with two choices:
- stay in the EU as is but commit to change from the inside and a referendum every 5 years.
- leave with no deal on 29th March because no-one can now be in any doubt of the consequences.

Have the vote on Saturday, 26th January and Sunday, 27th to maximise numbers. No need for a long campaign and no need for big campaign budgets.

Back