Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2013

Thanks guys. Getting maudlin in my old age but actually had a tear or two roll down my cheeks. Whan Jarnet was an apprentice with Fabre my two twin brothers and I had him ride a few of our horses in the German backwaters. It was clear back then he would make the big time. Just fantastic to see him on the big stage one more time. No nicer more down to earth guy you'll meet, even when he was just a young whippersnapper. As for Criquette Head what can I say. Engaging, charming not a hint of bullshit just says what she thinks. Many a top trainer could go to her school on how to conduct themselves with the media.

The Heads are one of the very few families who can boast having Queen Elizabeth and Eamonn Dunphy as house guests; they named a horse after Dunphy whatever about QEII.
A cracking performance though I missed Novellist from the race.

The Heads are one of the very few families who can boast having Queen Elizabeth and Eamonn Dunphy as house guests; they named a horse after Dunphy whatever about QEII.
A cracking performance though I missed Novellist from the race.

off that pace...Novellist would have been burned bad imo

Middle ground between Hamm and Slim. With 3yos getting a bit too much weight I don't think you can give her more than 132 there.

Middle ground between Hamm and Slim. With 3yos getting a bit too much weight I don't think you can give her more than 132 there.

didn't see any mention of 3yo's getting too much weight last year

the wfa argument is a nonsense imo and is now wheeled out to detract from any decent 3yo who wins it

its simple really..fillies aren't as strong as colts..and 3yo's aren't as strong as 4 yo...without the allowances the race would be a pile of pooh each year as all decent 3yo and fillies would run in other end of season races

Last edited:
didn't see any mention of 3yo's getting too much weight last year

the wfa argument is a nonsense imo and is now wheeled out to detract from any decent 3yo who wins it

its simple really..fillies aren't as strong as colts..and 3yo's aren't as strong as 4 yo...without the allowances the race would be a pile of pooh each year as all decent 3yo and fillies would run in other end of season races

In the Arc 3yos get 8/11 pounds

In the Champion Stakes they get 5/8

The Ascot race is more fair.

I'm not claiming 3yos shouldn't get an allowance, I'm claiming it's a tad excessive for this race.

Last year's crop was the worst in history so is irrelevant.

Completely agree. Without wanting to offend anyone Treve is an exceptional horse. To trot out the wfa based on her exploits is just ridiculous. As EC states no word of it last year.

I'm not claiming 3yos shouldn't get an allowance, I'm claiming it's a tad excessive for this race.

the Arc will get more though as its 2f further Euro

Do you think a 5/8 pound allowance would have made any difference today?

Timform rated this the strongest renewal since that legendary race in 86. If you buy into that it would have to be the most impressive since maybe Peintre Celebre but no more than that.

I think it was a phenomenal performance. She sweated up, pulled like a cow, got bumped and lit up for the first part of the race then went on to slaughter the best field we have seen in a long time. And its only the 5th race of her career.

last year we had a potential triple crown 3yo running in it..this year our 3yo are rubbish..not much in it really

Camelot was beaten in a Group 3 quality St Leger and had nothing left.

Last year's crop hardly won an all aged event all year. I think Pastorious won one in Germany and that was it.

Treve is not trained in Britain.

Last edited:
I think it was a phenomenal performance. She sweated up, pulled like a cow, got bumped and lit up for the first part of the race then went on to slaughter the best field we have seen in a long time. And its only the 5th race of her career.

Finally someone who knows what they are witnessing :)

Euro will ignite when he reads this ;)

Back