Punchestown 2022

Punchestown really is a punters graveyard isn't it, i haven't bothered having a bet there for years

Dysart looks gone at the game already after that, Sir Gerhard disapponiting as well

CH and Jonbon streets ahead of the Irish novices

DD might settle better over fences
Sir G ran poor here last year after Cheltenham. Could be a combo of track/post Festival blues.

Something not right with DD he was beaten too far out to take anything from that.
Unless it's serious I can see him being a front runner in 2 mile novice chases next season.

No real excuses for Sir Gerhard but if he has a top class turn of foot I have yet to see it.
In my book he is not a 2 miler and any talk of the Arkle for him wont have me running to the bookies.

It was fun on the run up to the Supreme when it was Constitution Hill and Jonbon V Sir Gerhard and Dysart Dynamo
but how far off the mark were we thinking there was any real competition?

Amazing what the name Mullins can do to hype up horse's reputations

Had us fooled that's for sure

Last edited:
CLIFTON WARRIOR 450 tuesday hcap hurdle.

On a line through the ill fated arctic warrior this should have the beating of Farout and I will be doing both.Farout ran like a pig last time but cant be ruled out and of course Willie has a few more in it as well.
Only W.hill prices so far and CW is 12s but I'm hoping for better.

Got 20s and 16s Clifton and gets bought down and took 12/1 Farout win only.

Bugger.

I got distracted this morning and totally forgot about this race.

The two are Clifton Warrior (16s last night but I only got 12s a moment ago) and Hybery (was 66s, got 40s).

A faller brings down one and effectively puts the other out of the race.

Facinating race coming up for the Champion Chase.

Can only hope none of them make a hash of things and we get a good head to head between the Mullins pair.

If Chacun Pour Soi is in the firing line 3 out there is going to be some fireworks because he is an amazingly fast horse over the last 3 fences here

I assume they will hold up Energumene to try and pick CPS off in the closing stages but he's going to have to go faster than he has ever done in his life to do so.

I've always been a fan of CPS and have a slight preference for him but I really liked how Energumene performed being held up so no bet for me.

Can't ask for better than that:D..Thought for one minute Patrick had him but Enegumene found loads.

He settles like that in the Champion Chase I don't think Shishkin would stand a chance of beating him.

Just seen Might Potter won.....:blink:. To be honest I don’t often have a bet at Punchestown but I’m kicking myself. I flicked through the races earlier today and saw he was running. He’s my Dark Horse so I always liked him. Meant to back him just for sentiment but completely forgot as I had to whip into town to pick up the “Stop” flags for next weekends Point to Point. Damn!

P.S. Is the Ten to Follow going to be completed? I know that sadly DG is very unwell so cannot do any more. But is anyone able to tot up the totals?

If it’s any consolation ( (forgive me for aftertiming) I’d just got in from walking the dog and put a few pennies on all three of the outsiders…something I quite often do. And I had a feeling Mighty Potter had been in my horses to watch out for at Cheltenham. I’m always surprised when in a race with very few runners, there’s often such a huge jump in prices beyond the first one or two in the betting. I always kick myself when the complete outsider in a race wins and I often back the wrong ones, but when there are only 2 or three outsiders at a huge price that’s where my three pence ew goes. I’ve spent most of my betting life in search of the 100/1 winner or placed horse and I can’t break the habit of a lifetime now.

Last edited:
Bob Olinger beaten too far out for that to be a question of whether he stayed. Probably not over the muscle tear he apparently suffered at Cheltenham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Slim @7/1 .

Looks that way V...Very dissapointed BobO when it looks too good to be true??? Now we know why he wasn't odds on :(

Last edited:
I'm down a bit on the day despite catching the first winner,,,,,,,,Can't have that so having a good bet on Patrick in the Bumper to put me ahead

1 Star*bet Goodbye Sam 9/4

Energumene was impressive, put that race to bed quickly.

In my opinion, Shishkin now has more to prove out of the pair of them, Energumene obviously is very classy and he seems pretty tough and resilient too.

Got to say, the fall from grace of Envoi Allen is crazy, he's not a 2 miler and never has been, still, just crazy how much he has regressed.

It makes no difference now, but it's clear that CPS doesn't stay 2m. Give Envoi back to Gordon. Tony Keenan made a good point about Henry who had Gold Cup winner running over 2m before being moved to Jessie's.

Energumene was impressive, put that race to bed quickly.

In my opinion, Shishkin now has more to prove out of the pair of them, Energumene obviously is very classy and he seems pretty tough and resilient too.

Got to say, the fall from grace of Envoi Allen is crazy, he's not a 2 miler and never has been, still, just crazy how much he has regressed.

Energumene was rated 14lbs higher than Envoi and beat it around 14L so he really didn't do any more than he should have. Chacun was rated a pound higher than Energumene so has not run his race for whatever reason. Willie said earlier in the season he felt maybe he had to run a gallop short. Maybe he'll reverse that decision next time. Maybe Chacun is starting to decline.

I still think Shishkin has a 180 in his locker. It'll be disappointing for racing if he starts to decline too.

Doing John Cannon 415 tomorrow 12/1 caught my eye in the €100,000 hcap hurdle at fairyhouse.
Bypassed the 2m hcap hurdle today and steps up to 2m 3f here.

As a member of the Snugsborough hall fan club I have to back him tomorrow 705 14/1 blue across the board which is surprising considering he is 11 year old. Maybe he has one more good race in him.

Energumene was rated 14lbs higher than Envoi and beat it around 14L so he really didn't do any more than he should have. Chacun was rated a pound higher than Energumene so has not run his race for whatever reason. Willie said earlier in the season he felt maybe he had to run a gallop short. Maybe he'll reverse that decision next time. Maybe Chacun is starting to decline.

I still think Shishkin has a 180 in his locker. It'll be disappointing for racing if he starts to decline too.

I'm hopeful that the sectionals will show that energumene and CPS put in a couple of hugely fast furlongs 4f to 2f before fading. Envoi a lot closer at the line than deserved

They clocked a time about 3 seconds faster than last year but so did everything else on the day.

Compared to last year the time was what you would expect Energumene was 2 seconds faster over the last 3 fences than Chacun was last year,

Save to say Chacun has lost a bit of his speed which is hardly surprising after the mishaps he's had of late.

Unlike DO I don't think at this stage we can be talking 180 for any 2 mile chaser there just isn't enough opposition to justify it IMO

C'mon Fist. the first 2 went into the race off OR's just 1lb apart, and Engi came out the better (comprehensively) so why not accept the bald fact - Engi is improving - and likely to continue to do so?

I know I know it's a bit risky but.....Clan Des Obeaux will stay the trip Aloha might not

My last large bet of the Jump Season till things get going again

Clan Des Obeaux 5*****star 6/1 BFE Plus whatever it takes to cover my win stake 4 places

Back