Punchestown 2022

I'm hopeful that the sectionals will show that energumene and CPS put in a couple of hugely fast furlongs 4f to 2f before fading.

I'd say that's how it looked to me too so those sectionals will be interesting. That said, the commentator made several mentions of how slow the pace was through the first mile so maybe the form can't be taken entirely literally anyway.

Yeah. Patrick sat (its why Paul moved upsides/ahead 4 out) but when the turned on the taps, they put a ton of distance between them and the other two quickly. CPS never going to get home doing that and folded quickly.

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/1518992062166835201?s=20&t=mUXD3gQvcyOuE0eX_yZQuw

This shot shows how the second was definitely slowing relative to Envoi from the second last. It would have been good to see Shishkin upsides when they did quicken. You'd have to think that its advantage Energumene now.

Last edited:
C'mon Fist. the first 2 went into the race off OR's just 1lb apart, and Engi came out the better (comprehensively) so why not accept the bald fact - Engi is improving - and likely to continue to do so?

I think he's avery good horse and better for being held up which I said back in March despite the Champion Chase falling apart. I see the penny has dropped to the RP.....God they are slow.

There's no Sizing Europe around to carry Energumene into the 180's at the moment and the Arkle produced nothing to write home about.......plus there's no guarantee Shishkin will ever be the same again

He could be the Champion of just about nothing for the next couple of years

Superb from Allaho. I had my doubts he’d stay and CDO may have paid a bit for serving it up to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doubt it'll happen but would love to see Allaho, Galopin and A Plus Tard all go for the Gold Cup or even the 3m chase at Leop over xmas

Despite me just breaking even I throughly enjoyed the race

I was thinking Allaho V Galopin Des Champs but then the penny dropped
Probably the 2 fastest chasers in training in a head to head..Willie would have to be mad to run one against the other.

He's already be wondering which one to run in Ireland and which one to send to Kempton

HdB furious with himself for running Bob O. Expect lots of punters are furious with him too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allaho was very good - I did share Ruby's sentiments that he didn't look a Cheltenham gold cup horse but after winning today and being only 8, he is a superstar

Terrific bumper race

Plenty of guts from the front 2 - winner if filling out and staying fit will be a fun watch next season when he lines out 1/10 at Navan or Punchestown

Re-watching the novice hurdle Minella Cocooner beaten less than a length despite jumping mostly to his left was a gigantic effort. If he takes to fences (jumps hurdles like he will) he's gonna be a high class chaser.

Dysart Dynamo's bad run has been explained. Apparently he was found to have a heart problem similar to what Sprinter Sacre.
I remember reading about this problem and apparently some young dogs have the same probalem but with rest it usually clears up without treatment.
hope he fully recovers

Dysart Dynamo's bad run has been explained. Apparently he was found to have a heart problem similar to what Sprinter Sacre.
I remember reading about this problem and apparently some young dogs have the same probalem but with rest it usually clears up without treatment.
hope he fully recovers

You had to think something went badly wrong with him, he seemed to be travelling very sweetly, then all of a sudden, the lights went out.

Allaho was fantastic today! There were some very tired horses going down to the last, he really had them at it. What game and talented horse the winner is.

Stable haven't been right all year. Did well to get Honeysuckle, A plus tard and Minella right for March.

Allaho was very good - I did share Ruby's sentiments that he didn't look a Cheltenham gold cup horse but after winning today and being only 8, he is a superstar

Horse was running on empty after the last and barely got the 3 miles. He might just about get away with it in the King George but if it's a strong race on g\s or worse I wouldn't be backing him

Definitely jumps to the left also. Good to see Willie definitively say to nick luck "no" when asked would he be tempted to train him as a gold cup horse next year.

Notable also how none of those behind were gaining on each other from the turn in. It was a huge performance.

Chapman asked on twitter, how many chelt races would allaho have won if there was no Ryanair - suggesting that the dilution has kept him from winning a QM or Gold Cup. I think he would have had zero Cheltenham wins without the Ryanair.

I had the pleasure of carpooling with Grey yesterday and then spending time with he and Edgt among others at the course.

The Irish Field is reporting this morning that "Seldom, if ever, in the history of Horseracing has there been such an assemblege of intellectual capacity and knowledge, powerhouse of pleasantness and cornucopia of cleverness at an Irish racetrack."

Bit over the top, but hard to disagree with the general point.

Last edited:
Definitely jumps to the left also. Good to see Willie definitively say to nick luck "no" when asked would he be tempted to train him as a gold cup horse next year.

Notable also how none of those behind were gaining on each other from the turn in. It was a huge performance.

Chapman asked on twitter, how many chelt races would allaho have won if there was no Ryanair - suggesting that the dilution has kept him from winning a QM or Gold Cup. I think he would have had zero Cheltenham wins without the Ryanair.

When you think about it Allaho really doesn't need the Gold Cup £351,687.50 to the winner when he can canter round in the Ryanair £211,425 and then go for the Irish Gold Cup €162,250 again. It could be a very expensive experiment to go elsewhere

I had the pleasure of carpooling with Grey yesterday and then spending time with he and Edgt among others at the course.

The Irish Field is reporting this morning that "Seldom, if ever, in the history of Horseracing has there been such an assemblege of intellectual capacity and knowledge, powerhouse of pleasantness and cornucopia of cleverness at an Irish racetrack."

Bit over the top, but hard to disagree with the general point.

I think what you meant to write was:

The Irish Field is reporting this morning that "Seldom, if ever, in the history of Horseracing has there been such an assemblege of intellectual capacity and knowledge, powerhouse of pleasantness and cornucopia of cleverness in Colm's car."

:whistle::lol:

A very, very good performance from Allaho, but a couple of notes of caution for me.

The opposition all looked a little too old, a little too lacking in stamina, or a little too tired beforehand, and I suspect that's why Allaho was backed as he was. The only surprising thing about him winning, was that there was no real surprise at all.

Also, in a crazy fit of agreeing with Tanlic (please place the men in white-coats on standby), Allaho looked like he didn't have a great deal left in the tank yesterday, and I can't have him as a Gold Cup horse. I can see a Durkan/King George/Ryanair campaign next season, and would expect him to absolutely skate-up at Kempton based on today's performance.

Can never understand why Allaho isn’t the top rated chaser around. Such is his cruising pace he has the opposition in trouble virtually from flag fall and he doesn’t just win, he pulverises the best that is about. When he won his first Ryanair I thought Rachael had gone mad pushing ahead so strongly - she hadn’t though, she just knew she had a mighty horse beneath her. For my money he’s easily the best chaser around by some margin.

Last edited:
Back