Punchestown 2022

The match up would be Allaho, A Plus Tard and Galopin in this race next year. Next to no chance of happening of course.

Last edited:
The match up would be Allaho, A Plus Tard and Galopin in this race next year. Next to no chance of happening of course.

I often wonder should HRI have a 'match-making' division similar to professional boxing. Try foster a lucrative environment that encourages prospective champions to turn up rather than stay at home. I'd love to see Allaho trash talk Gallopin at a staged neigh in.

At the risk of upsetting Euro, I've had a go at Harry Fry's Gin Coco in the first. Yard has a decent record here, he might have gotten in quite lightly off 123, and the race is full of utter hounds.

Can never understand why Allaho isn’t the top rated chaser around. Such is his cruising pace he has the opposition in trouble virtually from flag fall and he doesn’t just win, he pulverises the best that is about. When he won his first Ryanair I thought Rachael had gone mad pushing ahead so strongly - she hadn’t though, she just knew she had a mighty horse beneath her. For my money he’s easily the best chaser around by some margin.

I have it quite tight between him and A Plus Tard but remain hopeful we'll see the real Shishkin at some point.

You can only **** with the **** you have.

For a few years or more the cream of the crop have gone to WPM, Elliot Henderson and Nicholls which badly effects
the chances of people like Fry competing at the highest level.

We were debating Patrck Mullins riding ability they other day but if you notice
such is the standard of horse Mullins has it doesn't matter if it's Patrick or Paul who rides they both have a 29% strike rate.

Quite simply if you swapped all the horses Donald McCain has with those from Willie Mullins yard all that would happen is
McCain would be going to Cheltenham and Wullie would be firing out winners in some gaff track in Ireland.

Don't mistake training abilty with the money available to buy. You pay 250K for a horse you wont be sending him to
Harry Fry if you can afford to send him to Gordon Elliott e.g.

Allaho a bit in front of APT for me. And the ******* best thing is, both are massive fades for next year's Gold Cup, as is GDC. Christ, we are two days away from one of my favourite day's racing of the year and I'm mulling over a race that won't happen till next March.

Allaho wouldn't get 3m2f round Cheltenham in the horse ambulance.
He and a Plus Tard look like Champions now BUT
Wait till they get a load of Galopin Des Champs.

Luckily for Alloha he can avoid him by sticking to the Ryanair but 3 miles up nothing will touch him next year IMO

We just need to enjoy these champions while they are around; too many are lost for one reason or another before they should be.

Has the office of "Keeper of the Matchbook " been lost to progress , gone the way of County Council Sheep Dipping Committees ?
Racing in the rare ould times !

At the risk of upsetting Euro, I've had a go at Harry Fry's Gin Coco in the first. Yard has a decent record here, he might have gotten in quite lightly off 123, and the race is full of utter hounds.

Beaten by a job horse but I do wonder why connections would risk blowing what must have been a lenient UK mark for the sake of €20k. He'll be off somewhere in the mid-130s in the UK next time.

Hopefully Klassical Dream behaves himself at the start today as I can’t see him being beaten by this lot otherwise.

I thought the same before the Galmoy though [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck V but I wouldn't trust Klassical Dream as far as I could throw him.

Ive been going in at varies prices 6/1 13/2 7/1 on Paisley Park EW 3 places on the machine.

He went past KD like he was standing still in the stayers and he's never been out of the first 3 in his last 5 outings.
Still got a few quid to get matched but he might go 8/1 for a few quid later:0)

Paisley Park 4star**** BFE 1.5th the odds 3 places

Agree he’s not to be trusted but PP only went past like he was standing still cos KD fluffed the last and had probably used up too much energy after playing up at the start

GL anyway

Agree he’s not to be trusted but PP only went past like he was standing still cos KD fluffed the last and had probably used up too much energy after playing up at the start

GL anyway

PT kidded him into it there

GL anyway

Well Done V..I was actually feeling quite confident because PP seemed to be keeping up with them without any trouble then in a few srides he was gone.

Thought Paul Townend rode the perfect race there.

Good luck V but I wouldn't trust Klassical Dream as far as I could throw him.

Ive been going in at varies prices 6/1 13/2 7/1 on Paisley Park EW 3 places on the machine.

He went past KD like he was standing still in the stayers and he's never been out of the first 3 in his last 5 outings.
Still got a few quid to get matched but he might go 8/1 for a few quid later:0)

Paisley Park 4star**** BFE 1.5th the odds 3 places

Anymore stupid bets like that Fist and I'll boot you in the balls:lol:

Just to come back to Allaho etc, I've now run the videos of that race and the 2m5f race on the same card from the first fence in the latter race.

With that race being a classy valuable handicap, I'd expect them to go strongly and, given how they were fairly well spread out early, I'd suspect it was a well-run race.

I'd also expect a G1 3m race to just about match it for pace.

It looks to me like the handicap was between four and six lengths faster over fences 2, 3 and 4 in that race and it was only on the run away from the stands, across the dirt path and on to the next that Allaho closed the gap down. After that, Allaho turned the taps on and over the next several fences pulled up to 15 lengths clear but from the fence before the home turn to the line the handicap was closing it down until it was only a couple of lengths at the line.

This would appear to back up my initial impression and why I asked the question what were the jockeys doing allowing Allaho a soft lead. They weren't going fast at all in the first mile and G1 chasers should have been comfortable at 2m5f handicap pace. It was the middle mile that decided the race. That was when Allaho injected real pace and only CDO could go with him.

I suspect, too, that to an extent the rest of the field weren't quite at their best, maybe the season catching up with them.

But Allaho turned it into a two and a half mile race and played to his own strengths.

Imvho...

Last edited:
Fighter Allen was totally outclassed by Galopin Des Champs before that
he was 6 lengths second to Festival winner Statler also trained by Mullins

He was then let lose at Tramore against non stable companions and he absolutely hacked up.

Obvious they have been brining him along with this in mind and he looks the one the rest of his stable comapnions have to worry about.

No hestation in having a 5star*****bet 7/2 av. Fighter Allen currently available on Betfair Exchange

Last edited:
Going down the far side of the track Allaho pulled the race apart. The peloton disintegrated and every horse was left racing on its own, being pushed along to keep up as best they could. Fair dues to Clan Des Obeaux for trying to stay in touch with him and still being able to hold onto second place at the finish.

The standard of British trainers has been so bad this year Fry is now upper echelon.

With NJH closer to the end than the beginning, British training ranks are indeed weak

Pipe, Murphy, Jonjo - they can't all say that they do not have access to good priced horses

It is fine winning midweek races but i'd struggle to name more than 5 horses from each of their yards

Last half decent horse Jonjo had in his yard was Minella Rocco 6 years ago.

Most of JP's really good ones go elsewhere nowadays for reasons we are not privy to.

It would seem the days of 100 winners a season are no longer par for the course
and there's no sign of that changing any time soon.

Back