Retirements and Departures 2013

An insight into a near tragedy at the Brian Ellison yard yesterday, might still be unfortunately

We were delighted yesterday with Ben Cee Pee M winning at Sedgefield with a good ride by Craig Gallagher.
Our happiness only lasted a few hours as we discovered Bocciani with serious colic. Thanks to the quick work of 3 of our team, Jessica Bell, Jason Foster and Andrew Robertson, we managed to get him to Rainbow Equine Hospital where he had emergency surgery. We were all privileged to be allowed to witness the procedure, which was absolutely fascinating, yet somewhat distressing! We watched as the veterinary surgeon untangled masses and masses of intestines before extracting the gas that had formed and then somehow replaced them back into the correct place. There is over 100ft in a horse! Thankfully, the operation appears to have been a success, although the next few days are still critical as Bocciani's system tries to work again.
We (Brian and Claire .. the wife) want to say a big thank you to Jessica, Jason and Andy as if they had not found him and reacted so quickly, Bocciani would not be with us now. Also ... to the amazing Vets and team at Rainbow Equine Hospital who were awe inspiring. The work that they, and Station House Veterinary Practise, do for us is invaluable to us, and very much appreciated.
There is a lot of hard work and dedication which goes on behind the scenes in Racing, which is often overlooked! Take for example ... Jessica, Jason and Andy, they were with us at the vets until 2am and still at work by 6am! They are all racing today so it will be well over a 12hr shift for them (and us). And again tomorrow and no day off Sunday either. Horseracing is not a job .. it is a way of life and a passion! We have a great team behind us and we couldn't do the job without them. We enjoy the highs together and support each other through the lows ... we all love and care for our horses and we all strive for winners ... that's what it's all about!

Universal, the highest rated horse in Mark Johnston yard, fractured his pastern on the gallops this morning. Travelling to Newmarket Equine.

Trainer Mark Johnston, writing on his website, said: "Reports on Universal are as good as we could have expected but it will be some time before we know if there is any possibility of a return to the racetrack." (2 mins ago)

In case I didn't post this back in May William Butler has been all but retired (slight possibility he'll run in a race over Easter next year) and is out Hunting with the East Kent now :)

Currently deciding between a 70 Chase, 58 Hurdle (yes they do go that low) rated horse and an 86 rated horse with solid maiden form for our pointing syndicate for 2013/14 and hoping for more luck with the ground than we had with William :)

Martin

Diescentric, the star of Julie Camacho's small Malton yard and 20-1 with the sponsors for next Saturday's William Hill Ayr Gold Cup, will miss the race after suffering an off-fore fracture when doing a routine canter. (28 mins ago)

Steve Brown, Camacho's husband and assistant, said: "On Saturday he pulled-up lame after cantering and we found he had suffered a fracture. The main thing is he's comfortable after surgery. I am very disappointed for his owners." (24 mins ago)

It's most unfortunate, but these things can happen with horses. Because he had problems earlier in his career, we x-ray his joints periodically and everything has been fine. Whether he can race again, I wouldn't know for sure just yet.&am (21 mins ago)

Outlaw Pete among the latest list of horses declared dead.

All About Timing, Benson's Point, Drumfire, Outlaw Pete, Parabolica,
Samara Jazz, Under The Arch (USA), Waterhouse, Youresomepublican (GB)

Looks like Universal's injury isn't as bad as first thought
from the RP
"His cast was removed and it was decided there was no need to refit one and that a Robert Jones bandage (a very thick, padded, bandage) would suffice. I see it as a very positive step as casts and horses tend not to go too well together." (31 mins ago)

CLAN ROYAL, who was twice placed in the Grand National at Aintree, has died at owner JP McManus's Martinstown Stud in Co Limerick at the age of 18. Here he is lining up at Aintree in 2006 under AP McCoy.
533256_10151617863201120_392628345_n.jpg

Sad news - robbed of one National by bad luck and the other by a jockey who forgot there was an elbow and rode the poor animal towards the Chair after the last !

Two pieces of very bad news.
Clan was probably the most enthusiastic Aintree jumper in my time.
Watching him and Hedgehunter tearing up the track in 2004 was a joy.
MOST UNLUCKY IN 2005 and then age and weight caught up with him.
I was talking to one of the Supreme Racing ladies at Listowel yesterday; they had great plans for Pique Sous.I hope all will be well for him.

Very sad news that Guarantee, who pulled up at Chester last month, has sadly died after his injury sustained in the race.

I was on holiday when it happened and had no access to the internet and had been wondering how he was. Terrible shame.

Back