Retirements and Departures 2013

Very unlucky news given the splint is just a vestigial bone of no benefit to anyone except the vet x raying or removing it when it causes trouble.
My uncles horse Brave Run had a splint removed as a 5 year old in 1985, cannot remember if was fractured or not. It usually just swells in yearlings and 2 year olds undergoing too much exercise.

My first pony got her splint bone kicked out of her leg. She only survived because the vet had been reading about a similar case of a racehorse. This was over 20 years ago. She was sound and active well into her 30's after this.

The splint bone usually fractures lower down the leg where it's easy to remove or treat. When it's high up under the knee the bone does have a supportive function so is much harder to treat.

Nx

Lots of racing people paying tribute to RTE broadcaster Colm Murray who has died at the age of 61 after suffering from motor neuron disease. He began covering sport in 1989 before being diagnosed with his illness in 2010.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of his passing. Always struck me as a nice unassuming fella. Loved his horseracing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

30/8/13

St Nicholas Abbey remains in a comfortable condition at Fethard Equine Hospital. The surgeons & veterinary team are happy with his progress.

He is in good form after another good night and along with receiving intravenous nutrition he is eating small amounts of freshly cut grass.

Terry Biddlecombe is back in the wars again, and has been back in hospital for a few days. He was poisoned by a bad oyster 2 weeks ago, and has been struggling with the damage done to his gut.

Ballymacoll have retired their twice winning filly Liber Nauticus after an injury and a wind operation. She will be mated next season.

Kazbow fatally injured at Goodwood yesterday,shame as he'd been revitalised by current connections after being bought for 500 quid privately.

St Nicholas Abbey is in good form after another good night and along with receiving intravenous nutrition he is eating small amounts of freshly cut grass.

Trainer Ralph Beckett (@RalphBeckett) tweeted: "Sent Moonstone Magic home for good yesterday. She has retired in foal to Exceed And Excel. Soft ground was key and we have run out of time."

Fascinating Channel 4 feature just now on St Nicholas Abbey about how experts at Fethard Equine Hospital trying to save his life with xrays taken at various stages of his operation and great to see him contented in his stable and apparently not in any discomfort.

Just watching it now. A nice piece and like you said good to see him contented him in his stable

Darwin Turf Club confirms Australian jockey Simone Montgomerie, mother of two,has died after suffering fatal injuries in a fall at Fannie Bay racecourse. The Darwin Cup has been cancelled.

Last edited:
Terry Biddlecombe is back in the wars again, and has been back in hospital for a few days. He was poisoned by a bad oyster 2 weeks ago, and has been struggling with the damage done to his gut.

Message from Henrietta Knight

Monday update on Terry - he is still in hospital, oh dear - wish I could get him home. Gastric problems mostly resolved but leg ulcers and arthritic knees mean he cannot walk or stand. He'd love some cards! The Manor Hospital, Beech Road, Headington, Oxon OX3 7RT. He is very frustrated as no Channel 4 racing this week.

Message from Henrietta Knight

Monday update on Terry - he is still in hospital, oh dear - wish I could get him home. Gastric problems mostly resolved but leg ulcers and arthritic knees mean he cannot walk or stand. He'd love some cards! The Manor Hospital, Beech Road, Headington, Oxon OX3 7RT. He is very frustrated as no Channel 4 racing this week.

Friday update:

"Hurrah! Friday evening and I have just fetched Terry back from hospital and all his wonderful cards. He is very frail physically but the spirit is strong."

Back