Road to the Champion Hurdle 19/20

In a year when everything has question marks I’m leaning towards the one that, if everything ran to it’s best on the day, has arguably the best form and thinking that that is Saldier.

It’s quite easy to excuse Juvenile form as horses mature but even then he posted a couple of good efforts with a couple of not so good ones but since then, without the fall he’d be unbeaten and would have taken the scalps of last year’s CH and Supreme winners and while his fragility doesn’t necessarily make him an ante post bet it’s unlikely he’ll shorten too much, if at all between now and then. And has an excellent record fresh so could be a good bet nearer the day.

He’ll need to cut out the mistakes mind but nothing else excites me (can’t have the fav at all here at the prices) so unless Honeysuckle or Envoi Allen turn up he’ll do for me.

In a year when everything has question marks I’m leaning towards the one that, if everything ran to it’s best on the day, has arguably the best form and thinking that that is Saldier.

It’s quite easy to excuse Juvenile form as horses mature but even then he posted a couple of good efforts with a couple of not so good ones but since then, without the fall he’d be unbeaten and would have taken the scalps of last year’s CH and Supreme winners and while his fragility doesn’t necessarily make him an ante post bet it’s unlikely he’ll shorten too much, if at all between now and then. And has an excellent record fresh so could be a good bet nearer the day.

He’ll need to cut out the mistakes mind but nothing else excites me (can’t have the fav at all here at the prices) so unless Honeysuckle or Envoi Allen turn up he’ll do for me.

I agree 100% with this and think Saldier's performance last season against Espoir D'allen giving him 2lb and not coming off the bridle approaching the last is the single best piece of form regarding Champion Hurdle. Thought he quickened up well on his only run this season in the Morgiana and he looks to have gears and there should be improvement to come. As you say his price shouldn't change much, so if he goes straight there you can back him on the day.

Hard to imagine Buveur not winning this if he was fit. FWIW, Ruby thinks Darasso could be a left field pick. Luckily I got jn first so can claim he’s copying me.

Sitting pretty on my Sharjah bets, but will back Saldier on the day. Got a drink on Not So Sleepy at a silly price an all.

Watered t good to soft hopefully. If there's good in the description I'm happy.

New One Hurdle:
Cornerstone Lad
Pentland Hills
Darasso
Ballyandy

Got 9/2 Ballyandy on Tuesday. Probably cover on Darasso.

Watered t good to soft hopefully. If there's good in the description I'm happy.

New One Hurdle:
Cornerstone Lad
Pentland Hills
Darasso
Ballyandy

Got 9/2 Ballyandy on Tuesday. Probably cover on Darasso.

Well done. I favoured betting PH to Ballyandy but the Darasso price last night was crazy short. All hype, no substance.

Last edited:
That’s the second time Pentland Hills has pulled himself up when he’s hit the front now. The general opinion yesterday was that the old course at Cheltenham on better ground will help him get home and he should be marked up for the performance.

That may be true, but I think he’s one run away from a squiggle. Any horse that cruises through on the snaff and stops like he has the last twice is entering Harchibald territory.

Having said that I think he’s a player in the Champion Hurdle. The problem is he’s more likely to place than win unless Nico gets it perfectly right and puts him ahead on the line. The difference is that he’s got to do it in the Champion Hurdle and not in a trial, which he’s twice failed to do.

He's a must for ew multis.
I absolutely agree Euro, and he's also an ew steal for the race given the way he travels.
I'm actually leaning the other way to be honest. He's emptied hard twice now in open company. Also don't think he's good enough to win and even if he's still in contention for a place jumping the last, I can see at least 2/3 others staying on past him up the hill, to knock him out of the places.

Of course it's all relative to the number of runners on the day. I take the point that if you do him in each way multis now and it cuts up to only 6/7 runners then it's a really good EW play.

But with it being so open I think a lot of trainers are going to throw a dart at it. I can see there being 10+ runners on the day.

I'm starting to think Not So Sleepy could do a Make a Stand.
Backed him for small stakes after Ascot.

Bravo. Was beginning to think I was the only one. I’ve got small stakes silly odds. May come to nothing though, but from the trainers comments he definitely comes here.

Bravo. Was beginning to think I was the only one. I’ve got small stakes silly odds. May come to nothing though, but from the trainers comments he definitely comes here.

I'm seeing this a lot on here lately. If he wins the Champion Hurdle than he is the biggest certainty of all time in the Betfair Hurdle and is 7/1!

I'm seeing this a lot on here lately. If he wins the Champion Hurdle than he is the biggest certainty of all time in the Betfair Hurdle and is 7/1!

Already taken it. May end up in the County, but everything I’m reading regarding the horse it goes for the Champion.

Regarding Hineysuckle. I can’t have it for either race, but surely the Champion Hurdle would be easier than facing Benie in the Mares? Wouldn’t mind seeing Benie in the Stayers myself, won’t happen though.

Willie Mullins has said the ground will decide where Benie runs but more likely it will be what happens at Cheltenham on Saturday. they can run Honeysuckle wherever they want, she wins nothing.

Back