Road to the Champion Hurdle 2023

Let’s hope she gets round safely, in that case.

Connections self-evidently keen that her racing career ends with a bang rather than a whimper, which is understandable (I guess)……though it would be a pretty-small bang winning a Mares, when set against everything else she’s achieved.

Last edited:
I guess that, if she’s regressing, she’d be racing from out of her comfort zone in the Ch H and that’s when things can go badly wrong. I always worry when I know a horse is definitely running it’s last race; it goes back to seeing what happened to Willsford.

And the fact I didn’t dive straight into Betfair and hoover the 7/2 says it all. She’s the likeliest winner but it’s a very hot race this year and she is 9

Nicky will be happy enough to hear that as it leaves the door open for Epatante to have another another crack at the Champion Hurdle and possibly pick up some good money again.....Champion Hurdle 2nd £95,400. 3rd £47,745 V Mares 2nd £25,440, 3rd £12,732

I think the presence of a monster like Constitution Hill makes this decision understandable. And if she can beat a very good Mares field she goes out on a terrific high.

Even her run behind State Man puts her 1/2 stone ahead of the rest and she could hack up on that basis,

However that won't count for much if she has lost the wow factor which would seem to be the case.

I’m hoping Epatante can sneak into third place. And Noble Yeats can sneak into third place in the GC. WishI’d done a new double now.

That was an idea Nicky had before the start of the season but then he fully expected like the rest of us that Honeysuckle would be as good as ever.

Nicky loves the game but he doesn't lose sight of the cact to be successful you need to be a business man and for him it's which direction he takes is most likely to bring in the best revenue for the yard,

The stayers look a very poor renwal when he suggested running Maries in it but sice then there's 2 new kids on the block in Teahupoo and Home by the Lee plus you can add Blazing Khal to the list who was going chasing but has been kept Hurdling with the Stayers in mind.

My bet is they will stay as they are....geez Nicky even forgot to enter Epatante so the chances of her being supplemented now if he hasn't done so already must be remote despite him saying it is Eapatante's preferred trip.

Wouldn't be me I'd go Champion Hurdle seeking to picking up 2nd from a tiring State Man

Last edited:
Think it's an absolute cop out from Honeysuckle connections, defending champion etc.

Yet Ronaldo is playing in Saudi Arabian soccer and Padraig Harrington on the Seniors Tour. To paraphrase (Keynes?) "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, Sir?"

Yet Ronaldo is playing in Saudi Arabian soccer and Padraig Harrington on the Seniors Tour. To paraphrase (Keynes?) "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, Sir?"

Ronaldo isn't currently a defending champion (unless twat of the year counts).
Harrington isn't a current major holder so not really sure you are comparing apples with apples.

There are still five long weeks to go before the Champion Hurdle, bad scopes, stone bruises etc.
They always say never be scared of one horse.

Class. :lol:

There are still five long weeks to go before the Champion Hurdle, bad scopes, stone bruises etc.

She's still entered in the Champion, so could switch back in the event of carnage with those at the head of the market.

Harrington isn't a current major holder so not really sure you are comparing apples with apples.

Even Ronaldo could work out that there are two horses to be afraid of not one:lol:

You can bet despite Kenny Alexander saying he would leave it up to Henry and Rachael they that will have asked him what he would like to do.

Despite his brave face on Sunday I doubt if he wants to see her trailing in behind Constitution Hill and State Man and prays she can go out with a win. Hence their decision to go for the Mares

You need to be 110% fit at the peak of your career to win a Champion Hurdle and like Ronaldo she can no longer reach those heights but still does her best and that could very well be good enough.
Both should be praised for that not scoffed at:rolleyes:

If she does with the Mares no horse at the Festival will get a bigger or more heart warming reception.

Last edited:
Last years CH, but a bit of a shocker -

“ Zanahiyr faces disqualification from third place in last season’s Champion Hurdle after testing positive for a prohibited substance.”

Ps.is my memory failing or are we just hearing about the failed test nearly a year late.

Last edited:
Last thing we need......what is wrong with these people at the BHA 10 months to come up with this?

If there turns out to be no case to answer Gordon Elliot should sue the twats

Last edited:
Back