Road to the Champion Hurdle 2023

Every year we say that but on the day the majority turn up.I'd say a min of 8 0r 9 will run.....Been 80 years since 6 only ran

I get a max field of seven whwn I look at it. All the Mares left in will go to their own race.

The thing is many people just want to say they have a runner in the Champion Hurdle.

Example...The owner of Fine Sun insisted he run in the race despite my late friend Tony Charlton telling him it was a waste of time.

The owner box and all saying "look at me" surrounded by his friends watched as the horse was never in contention and trailed in stone last.

Tony dismounting told me he said to the owner "well that was a waste of time and fuckin money"

The owner didn't give a fook if the horse had broke down all he wanted was a runner to boast about

Owners still do the same nowadays by convincing themslef horses like Tommy's Oscar for example can be placed when in reality the poor horse thinks he just went into orbit.

BTW I am now a huge fan of Tommy's Oscar if he were mines and with my my rose coloured glasses on I'd tell them I want him to run in the Arkle....Human nature:lol:

Last edited:
The thing is many people just want to say they have a runner in the Champion Hurdle.

Example...The owner of Fine Sun insisted he run in the race despite my late friend Tony Charlton telling him it was a waste of time.

The owner box and all saying "look at me" surrounded by his friends watched as the horse was never in contention and trailed in stone last.

Tony dismounting told me he said to the owner "well that was a waste of time and fuckin money"

The owner didn't give a fook if the horse had broke down all he wanted was a runner to boast about

Owners still do the same nowadays by convincing themslef horses like Tommy's Oscar for example can be placed when in reality the poor horse thinks he just went into orbit.

BTW I am now a huge fan of Tommy's Oscar if he were mines and with my my rose coloured glasses on I'd tell them I want him to run in the Arkle....Human nature:lol:

Constitution Hill
Echoes In Rain - will go to Mares
Epatante - will go to Mares

First Street - more likely to run in a handicap?
Honeysuckle - will go to Mares
I Like To Move It
Jason The Militant - more likely to go in a handicap?
Love Envoi - will go to Mares
Not So Sleepy
Pied Piper

Sharjah - potentially goes to Stayers, owner has Vauban
State Man
Vauban

Zanahiyr - more like to go to Stayers

Maybe First Street, Not So Sleepy and/or Jason The Militant might run, but I can only really see the above 6 as definite runners at this stage.

Why woud Epatante go for the Mares when she'd be pdds-on first 3 in the CH - along with the associated kudos?

Why woud Epatante go for the Mares when she'd be pdds-on first 3 in the CH - along with the associated kudos?

That all makes sense Reet. But she's won (hacked up) over 2m4f at Aintree and there is as much kudos in winning the Mare's as there is in coming second or 3rd in the champion. Prize money would be more for winning than finishing 3rd too..
Last but not least, it would seem Nicky wants her to go for the Mare's race...

"I haven't spoken to JP [McManus, owner] yet but she's proved she stayed two-and-a-half miles at Aintree last year and won that really nicely.

"We're lucky we've got Marie's Rock in there [Mares' Hurdle] as well, but she's also in the Stayers'.

"In the Champion, we've got Epatante there as a back-up, if Constitution Hill even needs one.

"It's going to be very interesting to see what happens this weekend with Honeysuckle and State Man [in the Irish Champion Hurdle]. That will tell us quite and lot and I should think the decision on Epatante will be made as a result of what we see there."

Constitution Hill
Echoes In Rain - will go to Mares
Epatante - will go to Mares

First Street - more likely to run in a handicap?
Honeysuckle - will go to Mares
I Like To Move It
Jason The Militant - more likely to go in a handicap?
Love Envoi - will go to Mares
Not So Sleepy
Pied Piper

Sharjah - potentially goes to Stayers, owner has Vauban
State Man
Vauban

Zanahiyr - more like to go to Stayers

Maybe First Street, Not So Sleepy and/or Jason The Militant might run, but I can only really see the above 6 as definite runners at this stage.

I think Zanahiyr will run. Looked like a non-stayer in his two attempts before resorting back to 2m, and he finished exactly the same distance behind Honeysuckle on Sunday (without the Meds) as he did in last years Champion.

I think Zanahiyr will run. Looked like a non-stayer in his two attempts before resorting back to 2m, and he finished exactly the same distance behind Honeysuckle on Sunday (without the Meds) as he did in last years Champion.

Yeah, wasn't entirely sure about him, Max. Figured they'd be as well giving up completely at 2m as well, tbh! :lol:

Nicky forgot to declare Epatante for the mares didn’t he? At least JP can now use the 3rd place prize money he’s just trousered from last year’s CH to pay the supplementary fee (not that he needed it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No doubt in my mind the initial plan was for Epatante to go mares and Marie's Rock the stayers but only if Honeysuckle proved as good as ever and went for the Champion Hurdle.

Quite simply that was to avoid another clash with Honeysuckle who she couldn't possibly beat and go for Gold in the other two races.

If he does go Mares then he is going to clash with a not so good Honeysuckle but Epatante herself hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire this season either having had only trees finish behind her in 3 runs.

As good as she is Maries Rock as I said before would be really up against it in the Stayers and it's a bit late in the day to be chancing she will stay 3 miles against better opposition than she has faced before.

What looked like easy options at the start of the season no longer are as things have changed as they do.

I think Nicky's head must be busting thinking what the hell to do

Who's offering that?

Saw this inthe Racing Post

Don't get ahead of yourself - Constitution Hill has a way to go to join the Champion Hurdle greats

author
Alan Sweetman (Man of the week)..Yeah the very weak minded :lol:

Who's offering that?

Saw this inthe Racing Post

Don't get ahead of yourself - Constitution Hill has a way to go to join the Champion Hurdle greats

author
Alan Sweetman (Man of the week)..Yeah the very weak minded :lol:

Skybet

I used to bet with them through my brother in the UK .when I had that crazy run of 20 from 24 but they closed his account,,,,,wasn't even alot I was having on I think the biggest bet with them was 60 quid...........they as Braney Curley said wouldn't lay 2 bananas to a banana

To attempt to enhance the short odd offered against Constitutuin Hill I am going to back some 4 fold and trebles along the way.

Todays selections

Horantzau
Carryto Des Brosses
Gitche Gummee
Constitution Hill 4/11

4 trebles 1 Accumalator 50pts

I watched some “festival memories” on YouTube last night, most of them from the mid-90s. What struck me is that there have been a fair few big margin winners of the Supreme and Ballymore from the previous year, that didn’t feature in the next year’s Champion Hurdle. Admittedly not 22-length winners, but the likes of Fundamentalist, Shadow Leader, French Ballarina, Appreciate It etc didn’t cut it the next season. An angle, I think.

I watched some “festival memories” on YouTube last night, most of them from the mid-90s. What struck me is that there have been a fair few big margin winners of the Supreme and Ballymore from the previous year, that didn’t feature in the next year’s Champion Hurdle. Admittedly not 22-length winners, but the likes of Fundamentalist, Shadow Leader, French Ballarina, Appreciate It etc didn’t cut it the next season. An angle, I think.

Not sure I agree, Len.

Monsignor never ran again after his Sun Alliance Hurdle, Shadow Leader ran into Istabraq (and was fatally injured in the race), French Ballerina didn't run as a second-season hurdler after being injured in the Ascot Gold Cup, Appreciate it was running FTO after a setback in 2023 etc. There's also a stack of winners over the years who immediately went over fences in the next season.

If your 'angle' is trying to find a stat/trend to take-on Constitution Hill, I honestly think it's a waste of your time.

The stat that stands out is that only Bula has won both the Supreme and the Champion Hurdle. Others like Douvan, Brownes Gazzette and Golden Cygnet might have under different circumastance but who knows for sure?

I reckon to even shake Constitution Hill up you'ds have to be as good as one of those and only State Man has a chance of that but a slim one.

Yeah well, I’m just looking at a way to get CH beat, I suppose, as 1/3 odds will not tempt me. Although I’ll probably do a s/fc or two.

Last edited:
I quite like the idea Tanlic has touted on the straight forecast Constitution Hill to beat I Like To Move It.

If I really wanted a bet on the race that's what I'd be looking to do.

Last edited:
Back