Royal Ascot

For what it's worth, I reckon there are a couple of standout bets today.

I think Homecoming Queen's Newmarket form is miles better than anything else's. If she gets close to it nothing will get close to her.

I really like Qaraaba in the Wolferton. Had several lengths in reserve last time.

My only reservations are that they are female and I do not like backing them.

Ouch.

Homecoming Queen was never given a chance to run to form, going so fast in front. I was really hoping JOB would dictate a moderate pace from the front and kick rounding the turn.

Qaraaba was a touch unlucky and I'd be mildly critical of the ride she got although the commentator did say she was shuffled back to last as they approached the bend. Whether that was bad luck or pilot error I don't know.

Fillies and fannies...

I like Thomas Chippendale tomorrow, also Tariq Too who won nicely last time after a poor ride at Ascot & Eton Forever in the same race who was murdered last time when coming through to win.

Was taken by both the first and second in that Doncaster race, and have had my only ante-post bet of the year on Scarf for the Wokingham tomorrow. Will hope to see the form boosted by TT today.

Thought Tariq Too ran ok, not as well as the other two :) , but no negative towards Scarf tomorrow.

Homecoming Queen was never given a chance to run to form, going so fast in front. I was really hoping JOB would dictate a moderate pace from the front and kick rounding the turn.

This is what I was talking about when I said she'd need too many things to go her way to reproduce that Newmarket form. She got something close to her ground, but the jockey didn't get the pace right, she didn't get completely left alone up front and the headwind would have hurt her too.

Ouch.

Qaraaba was a touch unlucky and I'd be mildly critical of the ride she got although the commentator did say she was shuffled back to last as they approached the bend. Whether that was bad luck or pilot error I don't know.

Fillies and fannies...

HQ probably ran slower than she did at Newmarket. She just isnt good enough.

She just isnt good enough

This is it. Too much could have been this and could have been that here. She was beaten too easily and no matter how race was run, nothing much would have changed. She wasnt good enough before newmarket and same after. Its still too irregular for me for a horse to suddenly take that leap forward.

If she had won by a length or so at Newmarket I could buy that but she was so superior I find it hard to believe she simply wasn't clearly the best on the day.

I can accept that she might take a while to get over it and it might be later in the season or even next season before she returns to form but I find it very difficult to accept that her last two runs are her form. She's been so poor if that really was her form she'd have been running in Class 3 handicaps and struggling rather than running in G1s.

Last edited:
This is it. Too much could have been this and could have been that here. She was beaten too easily and no matter how race was run, nothing much would have changed. She wasnt good enough before newmarket and same after. Its still too irregular for me for a horse to suddenly take that leap forward.

She won the 1000 guineas in a fast time by 9 lengths - nobody can take that away - live with it :D

O'Briens horses under a cloud - Fame & Glory, Astrology and HQ all stopped as if shot???

Plenty of good judges (and me a guesser) said Honecoming Queen would not win another race.

Maarek has done me more good turns than I care to remember and cannot desert him tomorrow

Would not discount any Irish horse in that race. Tom Hogan sold Time Machine, the last Irish winner in 85 and has R Hughes booked for over a week;Nagle and Marnane s**t hot in UK handicaps these last few years. We are overdue a win in Wokingham.;)

She won the 1000 guineas in a fast time by 9 lengths - nobody can take that away - live with it :D

O'Briens horses under a cloud - Fame & Glory, Astrology and HQ all stopped as if shot???

The chances are neither Fame and Glory nor Astrology got home, and Steve M among others put up a good case after the 1000 Gns why Homecoming Queen would find it hard to win another race.

I forget who suggested it, maybe Chris McGrath (?), that Fame won last year's Gold Cup through class more than stamina, and that this year's more demanding conditions were likely to find him out.

Astrology didn't see out 12f at Epsom, and it looks like the same thing happened today.

Would not discount any Irish horse in that race. Tom Hogan sold Time Machine, the last Irish winner in 85 and has R Hughes booked for over a week

They are very confident of a massive run, is in great form and traveled over perfectly

Would not discount any Irish horse in that race. Tom Hogan sold Time Machine, the last Irish winner in 85 and has R Hughes booked for over a week;Nagle and Marnane s**t hot in UK handicaps these last few years. We are overdue a win in Wokingham.;)

Had a right touch on him when he won that conditions race in Cork. He's one to keep on the right side of also.... now all we need is one more to fill the tricast:cool:

Maarek and Colonel Mak most likely winners for me but not sure if there's much juice at the prices.

Pabusar, Seal Rock and Elusivity are my three for the Wokingham at the moment.

In the DoE, how has Hammerfest been given a mark of 96?! Absolute comedy.

Back