So You Think - substance or hype ?

No chance.

I think a place lay of Planteur could be the way to go. You see horses like this every year, who are sharp as a button in France early season - even the bare form of his races this year don't allow him to be the price he is, vis a vis Twice Over and Rewilding. Match bets with both of those against him as well.

Can't really understand why Rewilding isn't going the Hardwicke/King George route favoured by Harbinger last year.

I don't think it would be the biggest surprise of all time if Jan Vermeer, presuming he's in to set the pace, held on for second. Might have a schilling or two on the forecast.

I've had a quick look at what's available.

Blue Square - So You Think to win by 3 lengths or more 7/4
Skybet - So You Think to win by over 3 lengths 11/4

The other firms will price tomorrow no doubt. If I thought I could get 10/3 or bigger about over 3 lengths, I'd have a go.

The 11/4 with Skybet will have to do!

No chance.

I think a place lay of Planteur could be the way to go. You see horses like this every year, who are sharp as a button in France early season - even the bare form of his races this year don't allow him to be the price he is, vis a vis Twice Over and Rewilding. Match bets with both of those against him as well.

How long are you back from Morocco??? I think you may have imbibed too much of their famous BLACK!!!:lol:

What about the tactics today?

The general assumption seems to be that Jan Vermeer is in as a pacemaker, but I actually reckon he might be dropped in and allowed to run his own race. Just watching the tapes of So You Think's wins in Australia, he tended to race relatively handily. I could see him sitting close up - perhaps even leading if there's no gallop - and going on and murdering them from the three pole.

Joseph O'Brien is a far better jockey from the front though, so I may well be way off base. Would be slightly disappointed if Jan Vermeer was reduced to the role of a pacemaker already to be honest.

Joseph O'Brien is a far better jockey from the front though, so I may well be way off base. Would be slightly disappointed if Jan Vermeer was reduced to the role of a pacemaker already to be honest.

I'd be disappointed too as I think that he is better than that, but then I was disappointed yesterday with the way Cape Blanco was used.

Both Cape Blanco and Jan Vermeer's biggest wins to date were achieved via front-running tactics.

Timeform have the PoW as their free race of the day.

So You Think's master rating is 133. His last 8 runs are rated with rare consistency:

128+, 131, 131+, 132+, 128, 128+, 130+

They include six Group 1s, five of which he won, the other being his Melbourne Cup 3rd where he patently failed to stay yet still came out best at the weights.

In contrast, Twice Over has managed his best rating of 128 just twice and 127 once. Interestingly, two of those were in defeat - last year's Juddmonte, and the BC Classic. Hard to think that he has anything more to show at this stage in his career.

Rewilding is clearly best fresh but hasn't run over this trip since he was contesting Derby trials (and getting beaten by Planteur). His win at Meydan saw him hit a career high rating of 128, confirming his previous best 126+ from when he ran away with the Voltigeur. 10f really doesn't strike me as likely to be his optimum, though, and I would have thought keeping him fresh for the King George would have been a better option regardless of the opposition in this. But I guess Sheikh Mohammed just loves giving himself every chance of a Royal Ascot winner.

Planteur's master rating is 126, but his best individual rating remains at 124+ from when he was beaten in the Prix Niel. His two wins this season, which have seen him run to good effect at 10f, have been rated 122+ and 121+. More to give, surely, but he's got to improve to worry a tip-top Twice Over, let alone the fav.

I expect So You Think to win well, and as a huge fan of his sire, not to mention an admirer of the physical specimen that he is, I hope he does. Given a fast pace which allows him to sustain a hard gallop, I think we could see something special.

That said, I won't be playing at such a short price - I can do without the stress - but I think Twice Over at bigger than 3/1 to chase him home might be a bet.

In my notes for today, I wrote the words "Lay So You Think". Posts like that have me considering Gearoid's Overs bet. More thinking required...

I've only found one negative agaisnt SYT..the sire has had 30 runners at Ascot..no winners;)

they were biggish prices though

think i will just watch the race

I think we are about to see something special but I'm on Planteur EW Antepost at 3 places.

I suspect Jan Vermeer will finish closer than Rewilding and Twice Over, tempted to buy him on the spreads.

Can't understand why they've sent Rewilding for this either, really like the horse and think he could be top class over 1m4f but would have saved him for the King George like Euro says.

SYT to win handily from Planteur. SYT to take it up 2.5 out and beat a staying on Planteur by 2 lengths.

Last edited:
Back