The 2014 World Hurdle

Family innit.
family is all well & good but if they lad has ambition to be one of the top jocks he should snap nicholls hand off if he was offered the job.

i'm sure they could have some agreement regarding twisters top horses if necessary, not like there is a boatload of them.

I wouldn't be happy reading that if I was Jacob,makes him out to be some sort of spoilt child.funny set up down ditcheat

It is odd isn't it - jockeys never seemed to last long before Ruby and one is beginning to wonder whether it will be the same post Ruby as if Walsh is the Piggott to his O'Brien .

I suspect it's a matter of time before Sam Twiston-Davies goes to Nicholls. Certainly Nicholls appears to be using him more and more.

I can see where Jacob is coming from as regards the Big Bucks ride, but it does scream low confidence. Were Ruby/McCoy/Geraghty in the same position at the same stage of their career I think they would have had the stones to want the ride, no questions asked, and back themselves had things not worked out.

Interesting times at Ditcheat.

i can't believe the tosh Stewart & Nicholls are spouting. Nicholls is a businessman first, and a trainer second. B*llocks.

Jacob doesnt want the ride on Big Bucks because its the last remnant of the era of Kauto Star & Denman, and he wants to be part of the future. Yet he will probably ride Celestial Halo who is in the same category. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Jacob may have said something along the lines that has been reported by Nicholls, but I bet he never imagined his remarks would be broadcast and thought he was having a private conversation. In future he'll know to share these passing thoughts with someone in his private life rather than trust his boss with them.

The last thing STD should do is commit to PFN. Takes the rides as they come for now, and pimp yourself out to the owners with the decent horses. No need to commit to one stable these days. Outdated view imo.

The last thing STD should do is commit to PFN. Takes the rides as they come for now, and pimp yourself out to the owners with the decent horses. No need to commit to one stable these days. Outdated view imo.

Depends on the size of the retainer, no? Especially over jumps where you're never too far away from an injury.

I can't believe Jacob has taken that position. His boss will understand if BB gets stuffed. Is Jacob worried about the public perception then? Come on, this is BB. I'd be dying to ride him. If he wants to ride Zarkander for the owners, then why didn't those owners put him on Conti. Or was that because he chose Al Ferof. In which case does Jacob feel he owes something to the Zarkander/Conti owners for choosing Al Ferof over Conti and is trying to make it up. Who knows. There is much more to this than meets the eye and who knows.

If it is true that he rejected the ride which I doubt he is a fool. I would think the great grey would have a fair chance with me on his back.

Last edited:
Nichols openness is always to be admired given that is the sign of someone who has the confidence and mastery of his role (which he has of course) but should have kept quiet on this

If the story is true and Jacob didn't want the ride (or didn't have the confidence) has there ever been a similar situation before were a jockey refuses
the chance of a go on a top race horse.
l cant think of any.

The only time I have ever seen a jockey frozen with fear at close quarters was at the start of the Gold Cup. I used to always like to be at the start of festival races to get away from the crowds in those days and Peter Scudamore on Carvills Hill was as white as a ghost and looked rigid with fear. Used to see him a lot at the start of races being a big MCP fan, but this was very different. Both myself and my dad couldn't believe how he looked

Last edited:
Maybe Jacobs is crackers :rolleyes:
:)

Quite frankly I don't believe for one second Jacob would have turned down the chance to ride Big Bucks to history. I suspect it's more likely Nicholls and Stewart made the decision to use STD and the public explanation is just horseshit. Nicholls is more likely to have put words into Jacob's mouth and he knows Jacob won't upset the applecart because of the great rides he still gets.

Brian O'Connor in his irish-racing.com blog says more articulately what I was trying to say on this subject:

It looks to be very far from straight-forward in the Paul Nicholls camp after the decision to give the Big Buck’s ride to Sam Twiston-Davis and not the stable No. 1 Daryl Jacob, especially since the trainer’s reason – basically that Jacob’s presumably private acknowledgement that he was on a hiding to nothing – has become a public explanation.

Whoever rides Big Bucks is on a hiding to nothing. The new jockey is the most obvious difference between the horse now, and prior to his injury. If he wins, he’s a great horse: if he loses, the jockey’s a cretin. That’s inevitable. Jacob voicing that is entirely understandable. Nicholls making it public is a lot less so. Who knows what the reverberations might be.

What crap from Mr O'Connor - the most obvious difference would be his age and a failure to recover completely from his tendon injury .

If Daryl Jacob fears he will do a Fallon in the Eclipse on Bosra Sham then should he be doing the job ? Surely he should have been itching to ride the horse .

Last edited:
Back