The 2017 Grand National

Cheers TB & DO, have added TN. I knew this horse had some guts as remembered backing it in close fights against Anacotty and Village Vic, but I'd discounted it on first pass as it's never jumped the Aintree fences. On second pass that incredibly reliable form over Chelt fences more than make up for it, 9 runs at G3 (never fell / PU) with only once Unseating on first run as a pup - softer the better. The Trial winning handicap advantage and 40/1 make it irresistible.

I really do think that this race is a goldmine for incredible value bets and yes doubling Hennessy and Welsh Nash is a great pick.

Well spotted Fonz, adds to the trend, on reflection trend is a bit strong for it more a useful guide.

Young Master is one of those inbetween with so-so form at the festival well beaten 6th however he had only one run at Aintree and was struggling before coming down - it sticks in my mind not just because I backed him there, but with confidence as Sam Waley-Cohen who up to that point had never failed to get round Aintrees fences !
I would say 6th in the Ultima is perfect. He was third in the exact same race behind the exact same horse Un Temps Pour Tout in 2016, (beaten 20 lengths or thereabouts), before winning the Bet 365 Gold Cup at Sandown. So that's a good sign for The Young Master. He did fall at Aintree that's true but I can forgive him for that. He is still only eight years old and worth giving the benefit of the doubt. I personally want to keep the right side of him in this lottery of a race. If he got round without falling which I reckon is quite possible I think he would be a lot nearer first than last.

Last edited:
David Pipes horse (the Frenchie) is a lovely horse. The last two wins have been good, and my heart would like to see him win it. But my head is telling me The Young Master is a good bet. I could see my main bet being The Young Master with a saver on the frenchie.

Shutthefrontdoor - Gone at the game or worked down to a competitive weight?

We know he handles the fences. I think he's interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say 6th in the Ultima is perfect. He was third in the exact same race behind the exact same horse Un Temps Pour Tout in 2016, (beaten 20 lengths or thereabouts), before winning the Bet 365 Gold Cup at Sandown. So that's a good sign for The Young Master. He did fall at Aintree that's true but I can forgive him for that. He is still only eight years old and worth giving the benefit of the doubt. I personally want to keep the right side of him in this lottery of a race. If he got round without falling which I reckon is quite possible I think he would be a lot nearer first than last.
Am agreeing with you marble, outstanding candidate not missing from but not overcooked at the festival - there's only the 1/1 record at Aintree that swayed it - I gotta get down to 5 bets but want about 10 [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Jonjo taken Minella Rocco out this morning

Shutthefrontdoor out as well. There goes that idea then.

It's worth keeping in mind the offer Bet365 have done the last couple of years. 50% stake refund on all each way bets up to a maximum of £125 refunded in total per customer.

That is a promotion not to be sniffed at. Think it kicked in from the Thursday before the race last year.

Last edited:
Bet365 went NRNB and BOG yesterday but no mention of the 50% stake refund yet. Also paying 5 places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonjo taken Minella Rocco out this morning
Sensible decision.I'll be surprised if he gets an entry next year. He'd be top weight off his new mark.I imagine they'll decide at some point during the season whether he has the winning of the Gold Cup before trying to get his mark back down to the mid-150s ahead of a pop in 2019 or 2020.

The Young Master? 6th at The Festival, so coming into a nice bit of form.
Young Master is one of those inbetween with so-so form at the festival well beaten 6th however he had only one run at Aintree and was struggling before coming down - it sticks in my mind not just because I backed him there, but with confidence as Sam Waley-Cohen who up to that point had never failed to get round Aintrees fences !
I watched the Ultima again a few times last night, mainly from the fence before the top of the hill.The Young Master had held a good position through the race, largely on the inside and jumped smoothly. SWC gave him a hit (might have been a fresh-air one) approaching the bend at the top of the hill and shook the reins a bit at him starting down the hill but never got serious with him after that. He stayed on very nicely up the hill re-overtaking some that had passed him during that phase. He ran a very nice prep and will run very well. He is a possible winner.

I watched the Ultima again a few times last night, mainly from the fence before the top of the hill.The Young Master had held a good position through the race, largely on the inside and jumped smoothly. SWC gave him a hit (might have been a fresh-air one) approaching the bend at the top of the hill and shook the reins a bit at him starting down the hill but never got serious with him after that. He stayed on very nicely up the hill re-overtaking some that had passed him during that phase. He ran a very nice prep and will run very well. He is a possible winner.

This is music to my ears. Just what I wanted to hear. :)

Am I right in saying Waley-Cohen won't get his 3 for this? If so that would put me off slightly.

Was my idea of the winner going in this season. His run in the Becher didn't thrill me much though. Clearly that day wasn't the aim. Still.

No doubt I'll have a cover on him too though.

"Pendra will get raised for last week's effort, which I believe makes him 40th in the Grand National list, above the others on 10st 7lb"-Chris Cook

Last edited:
Back