The Derby 2008

One of them was last year and quite irrelevent given his good form in 2008. I`m not saying he`s a knockout bet at current odds it`s just that he ticks more boxes than both Curtain Call and Casual Conquest.

I think Curtain Call is a lay as New Approach is,
if I have to choose in match between the 2 for Saturday, I would side with CC.

I must confess the market is crazy
for me is a 3 horse race:
Tratan Bearer
Frozen Fire
Casual Conquest

You're right, Euro, his past achievements are greater than the two CCs.

But his Newmarket RPR was below his Dewhurst mark and, while I haven't checked, his Curragh mark is presumably lower still.

That aside, he looked to me in the parade ring at the Curragh to be the sort who won't progress, a bit like Finsceal Beo last year, and he is likely to get into a serious lather at Epsom.

I think it might be a bridge too far too, looking at him the last day you would say there was nothing left to work on. If his campaign had been structured properly he would be the fav i.e. if he had avoided the Irish Guineas. Casual Conquest and Tajaweed are the horses I like the most but both might be too big and inexperienced for the Derby .

Originally posted by Grey@Jun 3 2008, 10:25 AM

That aside, he looked to me in the parade ring at the Curragh to be the sort who won't progress, a bit like Finsceal Beo last year, and he is likely to get into a serious lather at Epsom.
I do worry about the premlims but i think he`ll love the pace they`ll go and adore the ground. Mentally i think he`ll buzz off it once the race starts.

Good point about his condition at the Curragh. He looked hard and fit on the day, nearly over the top....but that is often the case with Bolgers horses.

Suddenly the Derby has become very interesting.

I hope either the horse wins and is booed into the winners' enclosure, or is beaten out of sight.

tend not to take the cynical view that many are taking regarding the New Approach saga, but Bolger sounded like a condescending arsehole on ATR at Naas tonight

As i often do Trackside, i agree 100%

If he had thrown his hands up and apologised...even in a round about way, then maybe...

It was the arrogance that sticks though and frankly i hope that NA is stuffed out of sight as well as a more long term hope that this two bob trainer fades from the scene

Would the horse have been supplemented if it hadn;t been the 'oversight' that saw him left in the race last weeK? Unlikely imo? Were the public lied to last week? Draw your own conclusions.

Precisely DJ and for those very reasons, the game would be alot better off without him (as would some of his horses)

Idiots like him cant seem to get it into heads that racing is competing with other sports for the betting pound and that racing itself is the loser if punters drift away.

and yes Grey.... NA trailing in last would be the perfect sight for many punters regardless of whether they have involvement in this race or not (i dont yet btw)

Because that is the politest description i can think of

Frankly i think his planning (reagrdless of NA) of some of his excellent horses careers leaves a bit to be desired at times. FB being a prime example.

Also I was more than suprised that given the respective conditions of Henry and NA at Newmarket (apparently) he didnt swerve a rematch at the Curragh and concentrate on a future prize.

Personally, I think it's a bit uncalled for to bring the mans religion into it, and hope the press don't take this approach in the papers.

As for punters, i'm sure someone out there had a nice little "edge" in all the goings on with this horse (not to mention a few lucky souls on this thread!) and to pretend we're all in it together is a bit negligent. With betfair around, unfortunately it's all about punters taking money off other punters and at the end of the day whats important is whether New Approach stays the derby trip and how he handles Epsom, and if he wins!!!!!!!

Not the best example of anti-post betting though.

Originally posted by sunybay@Jun 3 2008, 08:20 AM
I think Curtain Call is a lay as New Approach is,
if I have to choose in match between the 2 for Saturday, I would side with CC.

I must confess the market is crazy
for me is a 3 horse race:
Tratan Bearer
Frozen Fire
Casual Conquest
rare enough, but have to admit I agree completely.

Originally posted by martin@Jun 3 2008, 11:06 AM
Personally, I think it's a bit uncalled for to bring the mans religion into it, and hope the press don't take this approach in the papers.

As for punters, i'm sure someone out there had a nice little "edge" in all the goings on with this horse (not to mention a few lucky souls on this thread!) and to pretend we're all in it together is a bit negligent. With betfair around, unfortunately it's all about punters taking money off other punters and at the end of the day whats important is whether New Approach stays the derby trip and how he handles Epsom, and if he wins!!!!!!!

Who brought his religion into it?

what religion is the man anyway?!

In terms of Curtain Call's price. the reason is the amount of cash that's been staked on him. From 20s in April all the way down. Is it all just the Cumani factor? Perhaps. We'll know the answer on Saturday. Ted Walsh said New Approach looked overtrained at the Curragh - reminiscent of a certain under-performing rugby team at the last world cup... I hope he doesn't win because of Bolger's latest, contemptible performance but gl to all who got 120 etc.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley+Jun 3 2008, 11:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew Hurley @ Jun 3 2008, 11:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-martin@Jun 3 2008, 11:06 AM

Who brought his religion into it?

what religion is the man anyway?! [/b][/quote]
If you read through the thread, especially page 8 then you will see reference to his religion. Nothing personal with galileo as I was trying to make a general point.

Sure. Thought someone may have edited a post as couldn't see any reference.

Moving on .. can anyone tell me why Curtain Call is shorter than New Approach?! Makes no sense.

Back