King of Rome (IRE) 3.c

Maidstone Mixture (FR) 3.c

New Approach (IRE) 3.c

Rio de La Plata (USA) 3.c

River Proud (USA) 3.c

Tajaaweed (USA) 3.c

Tartan Bearer (IRE) 3.c

Washington Irving (IRE) 3.c

Originally posted by Sea Pigeon+Jun 2 2008, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sea Pigeon @ Jun 2 2008, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-numbersix@Jun 2 2008, 11:57 AM
Thank god New Approach is running. I had hope Henry would, but at least now we have a proper Group 1 performer going to post. Without him it would have been one of the dullest looking derby's in years, with an imporving handicapper in Dr Fremantle not far from the head of the market!

Rio De La Plata is an interesting contender at 14s - Godolphin well overdue a first Derby winner!
Do you really think RDP will stay??

Cant see it myself [/b][/quote]
Well, his sire Rahy was responsible for Fantastic Light and Perfectperformance has in recent seasons proved capable of staying a trip, so I would glean some hope from those horses. Of course those animals were out of Nijinsky dam's so one could argue they inherited their stamina more from their distaff side.

With little information available on the Argentinian dam's breeding it is difficult to be conclusive about how much stamina is present.

He did stay well at Longchamp over a mile and was probably an unlucky loser as he was given a hell of a lot to do that day. But I agree it is hard to be confident about his staying ability but that is probably why he is 14/1 - I will have a little each way interest on the day and cheer Frankie home - but the win bet for me is New Approach as he is obviously now the class horse in the race and provided he gets suitable ground should hack up - which would set up a mouth watering clash with Henry in the Eclipse, if Ballydoyle were sporting enough to take up the challenge.

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@May 20 2008, 01:55 PM
He is not going to win the Derby then.

Is he?
Well he is entered up this weekend...just not in the Derby! Navan and The Curragh rather than Epsom.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 2 2008, 01:18 PM
Maidstone Mixture (FR) 3.c

Owner: F G Wilson :rolleyes:

Probably guarantees that New Approach won't be able to make all even if he wanted to...
You'd imagine Bashkirov will be there to go very fast early on as well. All the Ballydoyle horses are strong stayers.

Will probably be shorter than his current odds come the day and after watching his two Guineas runs, i shall be laying NA come that day

Originally posted by Ardross@Jun 2 2008, 12:42 PM
More heavy rain predicted for tonight for Epsom but then dry it seems till the weekend
Epsom officials will bust a gut (whatever the weather does) - if they have to spend all day out with their watering cans - to ensure the going is at least good or the soft side.

The Sporting Life site is reporting that it was Bolger's idea and that Princess H and Sheikh M have gone along with it - a truly Damascene conversion it seems :D

Good stuff from Corals...

And most scathing of all were Coral who are also offering 6/1, with their David Stevens saying: "Although connections of any horse are perfectly entitled to decide where they run their charge, the saga surrounding New Approach and the Derby suggests that punters have been treated with total contempt.

"Indeed, in footballing terms, this would be like UEFA announcing that England will be taking part in Euro 2008 after all, and as we all know, that simply would not happen.

"First, we were told that the long-time Derby favourite would not be aimed at Epsom, then informed that New Approach had only been left in the Classic by mistake. Now we're told he will run on Saturday, much to the frustration of many ante-post punters," added Stevens.

"Although there will be some backers that are delighted to now get a run for their money, any punter that placed a bet on this year's Derby in the last six weeks did so on the understanding that New Approach would not be running, and episodes like this, along with the 'will they run, won't they run' comments about Lush Lashes, Casual Conquest and Chinese White in recent weeks, do nothing to maintain punters' faith in betting on racing," added Stevens.

Betfair has me puzzled.

I don't use it a lot compared with others on here but do they have massive commission levels?

My tenner was matched at 120 and when I checked tonight, the 'my bets' section confirmed this. However, on the profit/loss figures in the betting, they're showing that my profit on the race, having got rid of the bet at 7.6, is just over £1000. This is my only bet so far in the race shrug::

The profit seemed a fair bit less than I expected. I wondered why.

Looking at it again, it looks about 5.2%, which I can accept, but when I checked earlier my quick mental calculation had the percetnage in double figures, so maybe 'mental' is the operative word.

I don`t think Betfair have a commision rate above 5%, i`ve certainly never had a deduction more than that and my discount rate is 0.

I've checked again using a pencil and paper and 5% works out to the penny. I'm going to worm out of this one by claiming a problem with the power source in the calculator :)

I tend not to take the cynical view that many are taking regarding the New Approach saga, but Bolger sounded like a condescending arsehole on ATR at Naas tonight.

Originally posted by Ardross@Jun 2 2008, 02:51 PM
The Sporting Life site is reporting that it was Bolger's idea and that Princess H and Sheikh M have gone along with it - a truly Damascene conversion it seems :D
Indeed so. Whatever story they want to come up with is fine by me. The important thing is that he takes part and is ready to do himself justice.

Also, maybe you saw this:

Paul Struthers of the BHA is reported as saying:
"Our current rules stipulate that if, for any reason, a trainer knows their horse will not run in an early-closing race such as the Derby, he or she must inform the Racing Calendar Office immediately".
"In such cases the horse will then officially become a non-runner. No such notification was ever given by Mr Bolger despite the horse's participation looking increasingly unlikely for some time”.

...Left in by mistake… don’t make me laugh.

I think what Bolger did in ATR yesterday is unnacceptable.

He should have told the truth, and thats is:
the horse has not been trained for the Derby,
he has had 2 hard races in the past month,
I am not the owner and I have been given instructions of what to do by the owner who is the one who pays the bills.
I am sorry for all the problems I have caused the punters.

And not to insult the people saying this is a changing world and people should cope with changes.

Pathetic performance by a man having winners in the past 2 years but doing also some very very stupid things, FB running in the Poule was simply a dissaster.

Makes you wonder how he justifies (to himself) the self righteous sh1t he goes on with when he behaves in such a manner.

To me New Approach is a lay. Having seen his pre-race behaviour at the Curragh, it was easy to understand why his trainer was not enthusiastic about Epsom.

He was also very tight in condition and I think he is unlikely to progress.

Originally posted by Grey@Jun 3 2008, 09:56 AM

He was also very tight in condition and I think he is unlikely to progress.
You`re kidding right. The trip will bring about plenty of progression. How can he be a lay when Curtain Call is shorter and has virtually no form.

Back