The Oaks 2012

I think smashing up Twirl, in the fashion The Fugue did, recording the time she did, as the best piece of form in the race.

I'm on The Fugue at 6s and think she is the one to beat. I couldn't have Maybe with counterfeit at 2/1 and 5/2. Her stamina must be a question mark and the price makes no appeal whatsoever. Like DJ, the strength of support for her puts me of Kissed and I therefore see Vow as the main danger. She has any amount of improvement in her and if she's progressed mentally from her Lingfield Trial then I can see her going well. I'm gutted I missed the 14s but will have a cover bet at the very least on her come the race.

I'm similar but different in that I have Vow at 8s and will probably cover on The Fugue. Both could go off at bigger prices than they are now if the mug money continues to pour onto Maybe.

In truth, my opinion is probably less cut and dry in favour of The Fugue than that post suggests. The Fugue is the one to beat but Vow could be anything and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she were to win.

I am struggling to back her at 6/1 having thought that 14/1 (terrible pricing from Ladbrokes) was huge but not being able to take it. The 6/1 is fair but I am hopeful that there might be something a little bigger knocking around at some stage between now and then.

All the talk is of the Derby but for me the fillies race is the more exciting contest this year.

Totally agree, bit gutted I'm not going to be honest. Lots to really like about all of The Fugue, Vow, Kissed and Kailani, who together won by more than 23 lengths in their preps. I don't like Maybe for it either.

The 6/1 is fair but I am hopeful that there might be something a little bigger knocking around at some stage between now and then.

Her trainer is top class but is possibly still underrated as a handler of Group animals. She'll certainly trade a bit bigger than 6s on the machine between now and Saturday surely.

I agree with Gareth about there being lots to like about Kailani and the stable isn't a turn off this time round as she has won already. It might be why she's still double figures though which is a bit of an angle. I wonder how many Oaks winners have had daughters win the race as well?

Last edited:
Talented though she is, I can't see Vow handling the track, and I don't see an upset taking place either. If Maybe gets the trip she'll win, if she doesn't stay The Fugue will be the beneficiary.

I think Haggas is excellent. I'd see him as a major positive as he doesn't mess around in these races.

I'd prefer Kailani to either of the O'Brien fillies and she might be another to chuck a few quid at at 10+ on the machine. However, I don't think Al Zarooni can escape from all of the Godolophin woes. Mandaean, Discourse (excuse) and Lyric Of Light are all notable 3yo flops and all are in his care. My other doubt is that I did think at the time what a god awful race the Pretty Polly was. She won it well but she needed to too. Having said that, a formline through Salford Art puts her a few lengths in front of The Fugue but I'm inclined to take that with a pinch of salt given that Salford Art has shown a preference for a sounder surface.

I would be more concerned about the track for Kissed than Vow. Kissed looks a bit weak to me still where as Vow looks more mentally immature.

Kissed only runs "if there's ease in the ground". Epsom currently on the fast side, but rain is expected.

It looks more and more like Frankie is in the process of being phased out. Despite Godolphin having the two new jockeys, I hadn't expected it to happen this season.

Very bad decision.

Like some people on here, Godolphin have fallen for the hype with Barzalona.

Godolphin took the wrong Fabre jockey, Guyon is miles ahead of Barzalona.

Frankie is the best big race rider you could possibly have, and is fit and sharp. Makes no sense at all.

I should also say I think de Sousa may be better than Barzalona, and looks to have made a bad move - he had barely had a ride for Godolphin and is third choice (unless that is where Frankie sits now...).

Guyon is a good jockey for french standards
lacks the scope of Barzalona (the later has a lucky touch as had Dettori in the past)

about the best french jockey
Peslier is miles ahead of the rest, riding in group races and trying he is the best and is in the level of Dettori, Ryan Moore or Murtagh.

Guyon is a good jockey for french standards
lacks the scope of Barzalona (the later has a lucky touch as had Dettori in the past)

about the best french jockey
Peslier is miles ahead of the rest, riding in group races and trying he is the best and is in the level of Dettori, Ryan Moore or Murtagh.

Agree with that basically, although I wouldn't say miles ahead. I like Guyon a lot but Barzalona has something that you cannot qualify maybe something as you say a magic touch. Definitely a rare talent.

About Dettori
I think he is the best jockey nowdays with Ryan Moore and one ofthe best I have seen in my experience,
but Godolphin is doing a good move,

they have taken the decision on Barazlona being their jockey and they will give him the confidence and the experience for the future

I was not a big fan of Dettori at the beginning and in that time I didnt understood why they put him on Lammtarra in the King George when Swimburm was a better jockey at the time , but it paid off for them .

McEvoy was a top class jockey too and they have him now in Australia,
so it looks they are better choosing jockey than breeding horses.

Back