The Road to the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 2014

he says stuff to get noticed sometimes doesn't he?..got you guys talking about him..he's not bothered even if its not in a good way

i think within what he is saying is that LL won a pedestrian run Gold Cup and was a questionable stayer beforehand..he may even have not won it had it been a proper test

so he is questioning the true stamina of the horse

i personally wouldn't touch it at 10..and deep down think its been said just to keep his name in profile...its worked

Last edited:
You might want to question his stamina at 20 furlongs, although he still managed to win a Gold Cup, but from that to say he is interesting in a Group 1 which requires pace (which he doesn’t appear to have) at 10 furlongs is misleading to say the least. It looks just plain wrong. It begs the question what you want to keep your name in profile for.

he relies on publicity..whilst people are talking about what he says...which they always do when he says something like this...i would imagine it suits just fine

i wonder if he has another book ready for coming out?

i'm surprised that people have took so much time discussing it tbh..as its a complete red herring...might as well talk about Australia's July Cup hopes

He is a contrarian and while it is good to question received wisdom he has made a career of it. This one is difficult to say more on than we have in the absence of further detail, but there’s a difference between challenging something through reasoned argument (whether right or wrong) and challenging it for the sake of it. We could ignore it, but by so doing we allow it to pass.

A magnificent performance. On the bridle the last furlong and still Soumi had problems pulling him up. Unbeaten to date, a serious contender for best 3yo in Europe.

If you take the view that neither AOB's Derby winners nor the Japanese win this and Treve hasn't trained on, it surely has to be worth a serious look. Now 9/1 top price with Hills and PP with PP going 1/4 odds on the each way. Thanks for posting, James.

Last edited:
Hard to be sure about it, but I've given him a 126 rate for that.
Soft ground might be a problem and today has been the second time he has drifted in the straight. His next race is over a left hand course. I would like to see him not drifting over a right hand racecourse before putting any money on him for the Arc.

I hope I am wrong here, but he strikes me as the kind of horse Godolphin would love to have.

The trainer added: "As the horse has a history of hanging, I told Christophe to let him go to the outside rail, if he felt that the horse was going that way and then ride a finish all by himself."​
It looks to me they didn't want to fight with the horse and Soumi was very positive to go to the stand side and avoid any hanging. The tv angel is not good, but you can see the horse changes legs in the middle of the turn and hangs left, just before he disappears from the screen. Whether that tactic is going to be helpful regarding his future starts (instead of a more educational ride) remains to be seen.​

Very impressive & thanks for putting up James as missed this. Sea the Stars is my favorite flat horse and its great to see him getting classic winners with his first crop. I don't normally play AP on the flat, but will have a little bit ew for the Arc

Thanks for putting this up. An astonishing performance. Would be great if this one turned out as good as his dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's clearly an exceptional talent but he'll have to grow up a bit you'd imagine if he's to handle races like the Arc or King George.

He seems a bit of a character who needs to be in charge at the head of affairs. Also, the Hamburg finishing straight is quite narrow compared with Ascot or Longchamp, he'd concede a lot of ground at the latter tracks if allowed to hang over to the stands rail.

Soumillon must be kicking himself for taking the Aga job again, he's going to have to ride some bog standard utter Aga mince instead of this fella, Harp Star or Gold Ship!

Be interesting if Telescope progresses to the race as Moore will surely be wanted for Australia (Joseph can't do the weight on a 3yo in the Arc).

I think Australia will not run in the Arc

About Telescope, needs fast ground and is not good enough for me.

I think the german horse looked impressive and has the best form of the field by a long margin.

he looks a tricky costumer, but the form is really good,
Telescope needs faster
Gold Ship is very talented but also quirky and has to improve
Australia another who needs to improve and needs good ground
Eclipse winner not good enough
Kizuna injured
Treve overrated
Magician likely to target the BC
Harp Star and rest of 3yo fillies not good enough

the most likely improver would be Eagle Top.
Just A Way has the form, but some doubts about the trip and participation.

Last edited:
Very impressive & thanks for putting up James as missed this. Sea the Stars is my favorite flat horse and its great to see him getting classic winners with his first crop. I don't normally play AP on the flat, but will have a little bit ew for the Arc

My German isn't so good but it took me all of 5 seconds to work out who the sea the stars colt was. He's a bit thicker set than his dad but his head is so similar!

I was impressed but the price looks a bit skinny at this stage.

Especially skinny given he'll probably have a not off run round Baden Baden beating some yak like Empoli all out and be pushed out slightly like Novellist was.

Back