The thoughts of Nick Mordin.

"I'm not sure either race is ideal for Nathaniel. The downhill run to the furlong pole in the Arc virtually guarantees a sprint finish however fast they go early, and sprint finishes don't suit him."

Has Nick had the pleasure of watching the 2011 King George?

Furthermore, I fail to understand why the majority appear convinced that Nathaniel is slow. He isn't.

On a more positive note I like the idea of St Nicholas Abbey taking on Frankel at York. No idea whether it will happen because the Irish Champion would surely be the easier target, especially as Aidan doesn't appear to have another outstanding candidate for the race. I suppose it might depend on their targets later in the season. I'd hope they might be quite bold with SNA given that he is has little to lose.

If Mordin had his way half of Europe's middle distance horses would be running in the Canadian International!!!

"I'm not sure either race is ideal for Nathaniel. The downhill run to the furlong pole in the Arc virtually guarantees a sprint finish however fast they go early, and sprint finishes don't suit him."

Has Nick had the pleasure of watching the 2011 King George?

What's that got to do with the Arc and the Champion stakes?

For once, I completely agree with NM; it will be very hard to find another suitable race for Nathaniel this season - his only hope, seemingly, the Irish Champion being run in a bog.

Last edited:
AFSARE HAS A BIG SHOT IN ARLINGTON MILLION

SRI PUTRA (42) has placed in three Group 1 races and came within half a length of winning the 2010 Eclipse Stakes. But he has proven such a reluctant hero that before last Saturday he'd lost the most recent fourteen times he'd run in Group company.

Having seen Sri Putra stick his head in the air and refuse to run on many times I was highly dubious of his chances in a hot renewal of the Skybet York Stakes. But the application of a hood and blinkers in addition to his usual noseband seemed to work wonders. He came charging through from the back to run down the top class Afsare and win by a neck.

The strong pace and fast ground were ideal for Sri Putra. However I've never seen him respond so well to pressure before. So I'm going to be wary of dismissing this performance as a one-off that's unlikely to be repeated. Indeed if he gets his ground and a fast pace in the Juddmonte International and Frankel fails to fire or skips the race I can see Sri Putra winning once more at big odds.

The runner up AFSARE (42) is a much more straightforward horse, despite the fact that he veered across the track in the closing stages, taking the winner with him. He simply wants a distance of around ten furlongs and always appears to need his first run or two of the season.

I really liked the way Afsare cleared away from the rest of the field as he duelled with Sri Putra to clock a seriously fast time.

A couple of runs before this Afsare ran second to the Italian champion Crackerjack King. But that was only his second run of the season and my ratings say he improved a little on that effort here. He'll be facing Crackerjack King again in the Arlington Million and has a big shot of beating him and the rest on my ratings.

FAMOUS NAME BREAKS RECORD FOR EUROPEAN PATTERN WINS

Dermot Weld was right to say that FAMOUS NAME (42) must have set some kind of record for pattern wins by winning the Meld Stakes at Leopardstown. My research suggests that the success saw him edge past the record previously held by Persian Punch for total number of European pattern wins. Famous Name has now won 17 such races.

I can only trace results back fully to 1996. But the pattern wasn't established till 1973 and it's only been in the last fifteen years or so that a large number of top class European horses have stayed in training thanks to the growing number of big international prizes. The only horse I can trace that scored a significant number of European pattern wins before this period was the great Acatenango, the highest rated German horse of all time.

Famous Name.................17

Persian Punch...................16

Goldikova........................15

Acatenango.......................14

Yeats...............................14

Fame And Glory..............13

Lucky Strike.....................13

So You Think...................13

Cirrus des Aigles..............12

Mubtaker.........................12

Vinnie Roe........................12

Millenary..........................11

If you count non-European pattern wins scored by European horses then Famous Name is currently tied with Goldikova on 17. But the way he won the Meld Stakes suggests he's going to have no problem at all making it 18 or more.

Famous Name charged down the outside and rolled by the front runner to win by nearly six lengths, clocking a proper Group 1 time. My ratings say he is running as fast as ever this season.

The thing that's truly remarkable about Famous Name is that he has won the last fifteen times he's run in Group 3 or lower class but lost all thirteen times he's run in higher class races - despite running fast enough to win a Group 1 on many occasions.

I reckon Famous Name now has a real chance of finally securing a Group 1 win in the Irish Champion Stakes. If the ground has a bit of cut in it that will favour him and hurt the chances of likely hot favourite St Nicholas Abbey. The main danger then would be if the Coolmore pacemakers went off too fast as Famous Name didn't get home when Cape Blanco set an astonishingly fast gallop in the 2010 renewal. As Weld has said a few times, nine furlongs is Famous Name's optimum distance. He gets ten fine normally but a scorching pace can get him in trouble over the trip.

LINES OF BATTLE SHOULD TURN THIS FORM AROUND

The seven furlong Tyros Stakes was effectively turned into a five furlong contest by a slow pace for the first two furlongs. The runners covered this part of the race 1.76 seconds slower than the three year olds did in the handicap over the same distance then covered the final five furlongs a fifth of a second faster.

If I rate the race on the last five furlongs and adjust the time for the even quicker pace over the last three (0.8 of a sec faster than the 3yo handicap) then I come up with a rating of 36 for the winner GRAFELLI (36). This is the norm for a 2yo Group 3 winner at this time of year.

Grafelli is clearly a very decent two year old. But I suspect that the runner up LINES OF BATTLE (36) will prove to be better. I say this because he's a bigger, classier looking sort that was asked to gain two lengths in the closing stages into an accelerating pace.

I can see Lines Of Battle winning the Phoenix Stakes back over six furlongs if his trainer Aidan O'Brien throws in a pacemaker to ensure a strong early gallop. But his long term future is surely as a miler. His dam and all four of his siblings stayed at least that far.

ELUSIVE KATE WINS FARCICAL PRIX ROTHSCHILD

ELUSIVE KATE (40) was gifted the Prix Rothschild by being allowed to set a ludicrously slow early gallop. She ambled through the first five furlongs in just 64.9 seconds. This enabled her to clock just 32.5 seconds in a flat out sprint for the final three furlongs.

Runner up GOLDEN LILAC (40) can produce an amazing burst of acceleration. But she was boxed in for an awfully long way by third placed Mashoora whose jockey seemed intent on pinning her on the rail. Golden Lilac was clearly not enjoying being crowded judged by her high head carriage and the way her ears went back and forth.

Eventually Mashoora fell away, giving Golden Lilac a shot at chasing after Elusive Kate. But by then there was only a furlong left and the winner had flown.

MASHOORA (37) is a horse that's best held up for a late run and tends to pull hard when seeing too much daylight. So she was hardly suited by racing on the outside of the field in a race run at such a crawl. She'd shown top class form on her previous start and will surely do so again in a bigger field when she gets a stronger pace to run at.

JUST HOW GOOD IS PASTORIUS?

I was not alone in thinking that the half length defeat PASTORIUS (39) inflicted on the brilliant Novellist in the German Derby was due to his big rival running below form.

I'm still inclined to believe that, even now Pastorius has gone and romped home in the Grosser Dallmayr Preis by eight lengths.

As is the norm in German races, the early pace was slow in the big Munich contest. But front running Durban Thunder really picked up the gallop after less than half a mile. If I rate the race on the time they clocked from there to the finish I come up with a rating of 39 for Pastorius, the same I gave him for his German Derby win. That's only borderline Group 1 class for a 3YO at this time of year.

I concede that Pastorius looked impressive as he powered away from his rivals up the straight. But he took half a second longer to cover the last three furlongs than the winner of the much more strongly run 7f Listed race. So he wasn't really finishing all that strongly.

Still I can't knock Pastorius too much because he couldn't do any more than win by a big margin with energy to spare. It's quite possible that he will prove better than I've been able to rate him.

The re-match between Pastorius and Novellist in next month's Grosser Preis von Baden is something well worth looking forward to. The pair will be up against Danedream in that race. But, as I've mentioned before, the left hand track will be against the Arc and King George winner at Baden-Baden unless the ground is soft enough for the field to swing wide off the turn and race down the stands rail (which will stop her hanging like she normally does exiting left hand turns).

Clearly, the Grosser Preis von Baden is likely to have a significant impact on the Arc betting. With Novellist, Pastorius and Danedream all running it's shaping up to be one of the races of the season.

Nick answers the stakes win question for us from the Famous Name thread..... Good old Persian Punch.

FRANKEL IS BRILLIANT, BUT HE CAN STILL BE BEATEN

FRANKEL (47) yet again strolled to an impressive win in the Sussex Stakes, once more earning the maximum speed rating I've ever awarded a horse. He looked truly sensational. But I wouldn't run away with the idea that he's unbeatable.

Racing fans in America would have said that Secretariat was unbeatable. The French would have said the same about Sea Bird II. Argentineans, Germans and South Africans probably couldn't believe that Forli, Acatenango and Sea Cottage would ever be defeated.

But all these great champions did get beaten on at least one occasion. Why should it be any different for Frankel?

Frankel's tremendous pace and huge stride has made him basically unstoppable over seven furlongs and a mile on straight courses or ones with long homestraights. But he's never run beyond a mile or even run outside Britain. And the one time he was asked to tackle Group 1 company on a track with a homestraight shorter than half a mile he very nearly got beat. This was in last year's St James's Palace Stakes where Frankel only held on by a rapidly diminishing three quarters of a length.

When he has a large enough stretch of ground to build up momentum and get rolling at top speed Frankel has proven impossible to beat over seven furlongs and a mile. But what happens when he runs over longer, especially when the homestraight is short enough to give the edge to horses that can hit full speed faster than he can?

In this regard, the race where I'd be inclined to bet against Frankel is the Champion Stakes, thanks to the homestraight at Ascot being only two and a half furlongs. But he could also be vulnerable in the Juddmonte International. In that race he looks likely to face St Nicholas Abbey, a top class horse with serious acceleration.

Aidan O'Brien has entered three horses that could act as pacemakers for St Nicholas Abbey at York. It's perfectly possible that they'll set such a gallop Frankel starts to tire, just like he did at Royal Ascot last year. This could leave him vulnerable to St Nicholas Abbey's turn of foot.

FARRH (41) finished second to Frankel in the Sussex Stakes. he was being pushed along from some way out and never had a hope of getting to the winner. This does seem to confirm that he's better over longer and with cut in the ground.

THE FUGUE CAN EMULATE RYAFAN'S US HAT TRICK

Back in 1996 Ryafan scored a hat trick of Grade 1 wins in America for John Gosden. He must surely be thinking of a repeat following the victory of THE FUGUE (39) in the Nassau Stakes.

In America turf races end up in sprint finishes just like the Nassau Stakes. They're almost always run on the kind of fast ground The Fugue clearly prefers too. This run suggests she is just as good as Ryafan too.

The way that The Fugue picked up in the sprint finish was impressive. She simply mowed down her rivals in the last furlong. Okay she swerved across a couple of them and hurt their chances. But they would not have beaten her had she kept straight.

The Fugue has now won all three times she's run on fast ground over ten furlongs or less. I don't see the point of asking her to stretch her stamina to a mile and a half or take on this year's amazingly strong crop of French fillies by staying in Europe. America surely has to be the place for her now.

I had strong doubts about the stamina of runner up TIMEPIECE (38). Although she'd won twice over ten furlongs that was in a very slow run race at Newmarket and around the tight course at Warwick where the homestraight is very short. She'd visibly run out of gas several times on tracks with longer homestraights off a decent early gallop.

It turned out that stamina wasn't a problem this time as Timepiece was allowed to set a crawl of an early gallop before gradually winding the pace up from halfway. She couldn't contain the winner's late burst but held on for second.

Back over a mile on fast ground I don't see any reason why Timepiece shouldn't end her six race losing streak soon.

Third placed WAS (37) got bumped by Izzi Top and her jockey had to stop riding as the winner swerved across the pair in the last hundred yards, but I don't think this affected her finishing position. The thing that really beat her was the cut back to ten furlongs and the slow pace. She's a proper mile and a half sort and should improve back over that distance in the Yorkshire Oaks.

Similar comments apply to the fast finishing SEA OF HEARTBREAK (37). Since stepping up to pattern company she has won two of the three times she's run twelve furlongs plus following a recent run but has lost all eight times she's tackled shorter trips.

IZZI TOP (36) probably lost two or three places due to being snatched up sharply when the winner cut across her.

It's interesting to note that the only two losses in Izzi Top's last seven starts have been on the two occasions she's tackled tight tracks. In addition the ground was probably a bit too fast for her.

PEARL SEA HAS A REAL SHOT IN LOWTHER

PEARL SEA (36) clocked a proper Group class time for a 2yo filly when making all the running to win a 6f maiden at Goodwood. She was always moving smoothly and her jockey didn't even have to move a muscle till approaching the furlong pole. She only had to be shaken up to forge clear.

Pearl Sea is built and bred to be a sprinter and is probably best on fast ground judged by her pedigree and stride pattern. She has a very good chance of winning the Lowther next time out on this performance.

GRANDEUR IS GROUP CLASS

GRANDEUR (38) got unbalanced in the closing stages when winning a strongly run 10f handicap at Goodwood. But that didn't stop him kicking clear as he rolled towards the rail in the final furlong. His final time merits a Group 3 class speed rating.

It's clear that Grandeur needs fast ground. In fact he would have won all five times he's run on good or faster ground if two photos had gone his way. He's still a bit leggy and immature so I can see him improving as a four year old.

SAPPHIRE HAS A BIG SHOT IN IRISH ST LEGER

SAPPHIRE (40) clocked a seriously good time when running away with the Give Thanks Stakes at Cork. She only had to be kept up to her work with hands and heels to forge nearly eight lengths clear in the last quarter mile.

For a brief period it looked as if Sapphire might face a serious challenge. But the good early pace and soft ground brought her stamina into play in the closing stages and she soon rolled clear by simply keeping up the gallop.

This run demonstrated that stamina is clearly Sapphire's strong suit. So it's now obvious why she wasn't quite able to beat Izzi Top over ten furlongs in the Pretty Polly Stakes. By the same token it is clear that her connections were spot on to nominate the Irish St Leger as her next target.

Many people seem to assume that Sapphire needs soft ground. But she doesn't show much in the way of knee action, so I'm not convinced of that. In fact I reckon if the ground comes up fast for the Irish St Leger it will improve her chances - principally because Hartani, the horse that looks her main danger, seems to genuinely need cut in the ground to produce his best.

AKEED MOFEED NEEDS LONGER

AKEED MOFEED (36) got back on track by winning the Listed Platinum Stakes over a mile at Cork. But he looked to be crying out for a step back up to middle distances.

The early pace was exceptionally strong, thank to Among Equals. The Coolmore front runner got from the 5.5f mark to 3f out no less than 4.27 seconds faster than the leader went in the fastest of the two 6f sprints. This coupled with the soft to heavy ground made the race a much stronger test of stamina than it would be. However it wasn't until Akeed Mofeed's stamina really started to kick in as the pace told after the two furlong from home marker that he began to pull clear.

Akeed Mofeed will need to improve on this effort if he is to win in Group company. Going up in distance is surely the way to bring that about.

I have to say I'm not totally sure that the plan of keeping Akeed Mofeed to ten furlongs in the future is right. I know he faded badly in the Irish Derby. But that was off a huge break and he still finished fourth. The way he was staying on so strongly here suggested to me that actually me might yet prefer a mile and a half to ten furlongs.

BREEDERS' CUP A GOOD OPTION FOR MOONLIGHT CLOUD

MOONLIGHT CLOUD (43) put up a seriously good performance to take the Prix Maurice de Gheest for the second year running. In a race run at a strong pace (64 seconds flat for the first 1100 metres (5.5f)) she was the only horse able to keep up the gallop in the closing stages, powering away to clock 11.5 seconds for the final 200 metres (furlong).

I think trainer Freddy Head is right to say Moonlight Cloud prefers dead flat tracks. She's won all four times she's run on perfectly level courses but lost all four times she's run above Group 3 class on tracks with gradients.

The race I'd be targeting with Moonlight Cloud is the Breeders' Cup Sprint. I say this because

not only did she win her sole start on the dirt-like Fibresand but she also has a half brother that won on Fibresand. In addition four of her seven wins have been around a turn. So, unlike most European sprinters that tackle the big American race, she's proven that she can handle the surface and show her best around a turn. It's also worth noting that she's Breeders Cup eligible, so her owners won't need to pay a big supplementary entry fee.

One unfortunate aspect of Moonlight Cloud's win is that what looked to be her biggest threat, the British raider Strong Suit, was withdrawn due to the grossly misleading official going report.

Strong Suit needs a fast surface and it turns out he would have got it had he run because Moonlight Cloud came within four fifths of a second of the track record to record the fourth fastest time ever run in the big race.

Given the final and sectional times, it' astonishing that the official going was 'very soft'. Well it would be if the race had been run in any other country.

Sadly French racing produces massively incorrect going reports like this every day. There is almost no correlation between them and the actual speed of the racing surface. Surely it's high time French racing officials were sent to Germany or Australia to be trained in the proper use of the penetrometer. They use the penetrometer in those countries to produce far more accurate official going reports.

that figure for Frankel is ridiculous..his 47 is about 4 points higher than he gives a proper G1 horse..usually a 43 mark on his scale..so his figure must be 140 odd on OHR scale for Frankel

Frankel ran 30lb better than 86 rated The Confessor in reality..htf can that be the fastest rating ever?..complete nonsense yet again

Mordin can be a very good read and i'm sure he has got people interested in the game..but his speed figures are fantasy racing

Last edited:
CERTIFY AND SKY LANTERN ARE TOP CLASS

The early pace was a crawl in this year's Sweet Solera Stakes at Newmarket. The leader covered the first half mile a whopping 3.7 seconds slower than they went in the preceding handicap. But the fillies proceeded to come home a remarkable 2.1 seconds faster than the handicappers over the final three furlongs. When I employ my sectional timing formula this indicates Grade 1 class ratings for the first two past the post.

The winner was CERTIFY (39) who had beaten Pearl Sea three lengths into second on her only previous start. Pearl Sea had gone on to run a Group class time at Glorious Goodwood.

Certify pulled a bit against the slow early pace and understandably took a little while to get rolling once the sprint for home started. But she picked up a fair bit sooner than the runner up Sky Lantern which gave her a head start on her main rival and she was briefly almost two lengths clear. Sky Lantern was closing the gap as she herself got going but Certify was still a length clear by the time the line was reached and never looked in serious danger.

This run was good enough to win most 1000 Guineas. So I'm not too concerned about Certify not improving from two to three because she's American bred. She's now proven that she acts on both soft and fast ground. And the step up to a mile shouldn't be a problem. Her sire, dam and Grade 1 winning sibling all showed their best form around a mile while winning on a wide variety of surfaces.

As with all Godolphin Classic prospects the concern is that Certify will be aimed at the UAE 1000 Guineas, Oaks and or Derby rather than the Guineas at Newmarket. Given the fact that her half sister won a Grade 1 in synthetic surfaces it's going to be awfully tempting for her connections to focus on those valuable Dubai races I've mentioned which are all run on Tapeta.

Whatever route Certify goes right now she should be able to go through the rest of her two year old season unbeaten, with the obvious targets being the May Hill Stakes and the Fillies' Mile.

Runner up SKY LANTERN (38) is a bigger filly than the winner and a good mover - which suggests she may not handle mud. She was happy lobbing along at the slow early pace and was swung out to get a clear run when the sprint began over the last three furlongs. She took longer than the winner to hit full stride and slipped back but then rallied nicely to close in on her during the final furlong. My feeling is that in a more strongly run race it would have been a very close call between the pair.

There are loads of sprinters on both sides of Sky Lantern's pedigree. But it's worth bearing in mind that her dam's best previous foal was Shanty Star who won the Group 3 Queen's Vase over two miles.

Sky Lantern has the physique of a miler in my opinion. Though I have to say her habit of getting chopped for speed then staying on does suggest she might actually get ten furlongs. She'd need to be supplemented for the Fillies Mile but with Certify being so smart maybe it would be a better idea to take on the colts in the Racing Post Trophy. The other Group 1 possibility would be the Marcel Boussac, but I have to say her trainer has an awful record with two year olds in Group 1's when they have to ship outside Britain and Ireland.

My feeling from watching the Sweet Solera is that Sky Lantern is a better long term prospect than Certify and a more likely runner in the 1000 Guineas. This being so the 33-1 the bookies are offering about her for the Newmarket Classic looks way too big. She's surely going to be a big player in that race.

SIR JOHN HACKWOOD LOOKS GROUP CLASS

SIR JOHN HACKWOOD (37) clocked a Listed class time when winning a 0-100 handicap over ten furlongs at Newmarket - and I'm pretty sure he can run faster.

Held up in second last place behind the too strong early pace, Sir John Hackwood was always moving smoothly. But he ran into traffic problems when asked to start his run. As this happened, runner up Man Of Action swept through from last place, kicked on and looked to have the race won.

Sir John Hackwood had to change course no less than three times to find a run and took a bump in the process. It was rather late in the proceedings when he saw clear daylight but he closed the gap so rapidly on the winner and had such momentum his jockey was able to stop riding 75 yards from the line because his mount was simply powering clear. He ended up winning by nearly two lengths.

With a clear run I can readily believe Sir John Hackwood would have doubled his winning margin to clock a Group class time.

This is a handsome, close-coupled horse and a good mover. So I can see why his connections say he disliked heavy ground in the only loss he suffered. The gain the cut back to a mile for that race must have been a contributing factor seeing how full of run Sir John Hackwood was here at the end of a very strongly run ten furlongs. He looks likely to be suited to a step up to a mile and a half.

GALILEO'S CHOICE IS PROBABLY BEST LEFT HANDED

GALILEO'S CHOICE (38) is a real win machine. He's now won half his sixteen starts following his success in the Ballyroan Stakes at Leopardstown. He clocked a time well up to standard for the class there, staying on strongly to beat a decent field. However I have my doubts about him taking the Irish St Leger.

First of all this is a very strong year for stayers. I would not be surprised to see most of the runners in the Irish St Leger being faster than Galileo's Choice on my ratings.

Secondly, the big concern about the Irish St Leger for Galileo's Choice is that it is run at the Curragh, a right handed course.

Galileo's Choice ran wide around Wexford, the tightest right hand track he's tried. He has won a couple of minor hurdle races around right hand courses. But at the faster pace of flat racing he does seem vulnerable going right handed. He's lost all four flat races he's tackled on right handed tracks.

Around left handed tracks Galileo's Choice has a spectacular record. He has won six of the last seven times he's run left handed off breaks of four months or less.

PEDRO NOT SO GREAT

It's easy to get misled by the times two year olds clock on very soft ground. They're not as fit as older horses so tire more rapidly if they’re asked to go a decent pace and clock unrepresentatively slow times.

Nonetheless I find it hard to enthuse about the performance of PEDRO THE GREAT (28) in winning the Group 1 Phoenix Stakes. He came of a pace three tenths of a second slower to halfway than in the following Phoenix Sprint and ended up clocking a final time 1.51 seconds slower. That's a big difference between two six furlong races.

There have simply got to be faster two year olds than Pedro The Great and the horses he beat.

BREEDERS' CUP MILE THE OBVIOUS TARGET FOR EXCELEBRATION

The Jacques Le Marois looked in danger of being a slow run contest this year as Elusive Kate was the only obvious front runner. Cityscape and Excelebration were the only other runners that had shown an inclination to run close to the pace, but they'd invariably been held up for a late burst.

Sure enough Elusive Kate was allowed to go slow early with Cityscape and Excelebration chasing and the three filled the first three places. Clearly the way the race was run helped them but the time was fast so I'm not going to knock the race.

If ELUSIVE KATE (41) had only been allowed to keep going slow for another furlong she might just have held on. But Cityscape started pressing her after thee furlongs and Dettori had no choice but to kick on.

You can see what happened to Elusive Kate from the times she clocked for the last five furlongs: 11.4, 11.3, 11.3, 11.0 and finally 12.4 when she got tired in the final furlong.

Elusive Kate has made all the running in each of her three Group race wins. She's a tough horse to pass, especially when allowed an uncontested lead.

The winner EXCELEBRATION (42) was flat to the boards for quite a while and only finally started to make progress when the pace began to flag. He continued to move strongly as the two leaders tired and went past them readily to score by over a length.

I reckon that Excelebration only just gets a mile, so I think he could well be vulnerable in the QEII at Ascot due to its steep uphill finish. The ideal race for him as I see it is the Breeders' Cup Mile.

Excelebration showed when running away with the German 2000 Guineas last year that he handles a tight turning track exceptionally well. He's also shown several times that he's tough to beat in a sprint finish. These are the circumstances he'd face in the Breeders' Cup Mile.

Runner up CITYSCAPE (41) would probably have preferred to be able to come from further back off a stronger early pace. The race effectively rode like a seven furlong contest and his best run was over nine furlongs. The stiff mile of the QEII should suit him better than the winner.

Fourth placed MOONLIGHT CLOUD (41) had a very troubled passage. She got jostled and bumped after three furlongs when the pace quickened. Then she got squeezed out and had to be snatched up sharply with three furlongs to run. She picked up well in the final furlong to get to within a length and a half of the winner. With a clear run she would have gone close.

Moonlight Cloud's trainer Freddy Head won the Breeders' Cup Mile twice as a jockey on Miesque and three times as a trainer with Goldikova. He talked about running Moonlight Cloud in the big American race before this contest and no doubt her run will encourage him to move forward with that idea.

The concern in regards to the Breeders' Cup Mile is that Moonlight Cloud is not very big and has run into traffic problems several times in crowded fields. She's proven she handles a surface akin to dirt by scoring on Fibresand, so I'd prefer to see her shoot for one of the big Breeders' Cup races on dirt - because the stronger early pace of US dirt races ensures the field are more spread out towards the end of races, which reduces traffic problems.

Initially I thought the Breeders Cup Sprint was the race for Moonlight Cloud. But now it seems clear the seven furlong Filly & Mare Sprint would be a better option. The opposition will be weaker for that race and the distance more suitable.

CASPAR NETSCHER (41) ran a big race. He moved up threateningly after three furlongs out and kept on strongly.

Since his maiden success all Caspar Netscher's wins have come in single figure fields on dead flat tracks. In fact he's won all four times he's run in these circumstances. The next time he meets them I'll be very interested in his chances. I've clearly been under rating him.

TIN HORSE (37) got outpaced soon after the pace picked up and then chugged on to finish sixth. I continue to believe he wants to go back up to ten furlongs.

GOLDEN LILAC (36) was tossing her head about and seeing plenty of daylight before fading. She's now run below her best all three times she's tackled straight courses. It's also worth noting that her four lifetime losses have coincided with her four runs away from the Paris circuit. It could be that she doesn't like travelling a long way from her Chantilly base. She's won all six times she's run on Paris tracks, including in three Group 1 contests.

MOST IMPROVED obviously had some sort of physical problem as he dropped right out and was then eased right up a long way out to finish tailed off. I guess his old leg problems have flared up. Hopefully it's not too serious. But in future I'm going to be wary of betting him when there is isn't any cut in the ground.

Can anybody make sense of this:

"The winner EXCELEBRATION (42) was flat to the boards for quite a while and only finally started to make progress when the pace began to flag. He continued to move strongly as the two leaders tired and went past them readily to score by over a length.

I reckon that Excelebration only just gets a mile"

So he is outpaced and then stays on strongly when the others tire and this is evidence that he only just gets a mile? He might be right but I cannot see how the evidence can lead to that conclusion.

"The winner EXCELEBRATION (42) was flat to the boards for quite a while and only finally started to make progress when the pace began to flag. He continued to move strongly as the two leaders tired and went past them readily to score by over a length.

I reckon that Excelebration only just gets a mile"

So he is outpaced and then stays on strongly when the others tire and this is evidence that he only just gets a mile? He might be right but I cannot see how the evidence can lead to that conclusion.

in fact quite the reverse..strange conclusion

maybe it is done just to get people to talk about what he writes

Typical Mordin summary, to look at a part of the race, and draw conclusion without considering the whole.
In my view, the race turned into a 3f sprint, and while he was outpaced initially when Cityscape kicked for home, he eventually did the others for speed rather than stamina. Neither the 2nd or 3rd were stopping, and no way would Moonlight Cloud finish as she did, had the race been run at a true pace from the start.

Last edited:

"The winner EXCELEBRATION (42) was flat to the boards for quite a while and only finally started to make progress when the pace began to flag. He continued to move strongly as the two leaders tired and went past them readily to score by over a length."

The sectionals indicate that the pace didn't flag. They came home at 102.8% and 102.0% of the total race speed from 3f out and 2f out respectively.

I would tend to agree with Reet Hard above in that it turned into something of a sprint (though they certainly didn't crawl) and that Excelebration's turn of foot won it for him to a large extent.

Hard to know what to make of Moonlight Cloud. She ran a cracker from a poor position and given the fact she got chopped up badly, but she still hasn't proven conclusively that she stays a mile (to me anyway).

Last edited:
For a while Excelebration "appeared" to be under pressure and going nowhere until he was switched out from behind leaders to make his run; that was my reading of the race and of the lads beside me, lifelong race goers. Maybe Nick has something.

I'm not disagreeing with the description (it was what I saw as well) but how can he arrive at that conclusion having said that? His conclusion might be right as well but it doesn't follow. Unless I'm missing something.

To my eyes, Cityscape visibly quickened after the 800m mark, and Excelebration floundered for maybe 50m (even Usain Bolt needs 40m to reach top speed :)). From then on the result was never in doubt.
Like Nick Mordin, I have felt for some time that the horse might be better at 7f (twice he's weakened at the end of Ascot's stiff 1m, his penultimate run palpably), but there are very few gp1's at 7f, so little surprise to see him over Deauville's sharp 1m. The track, the fast ground (the preceding h/c over the same distance was run 2.6 secs under standard) and the modest early pace all contributed to making the race none too severe a stamina test.
Make your own mind up, but it's clear from his future entries that his stable probably had the same stamina doubts as myself and NM, viz;

25Aug12 3:20 (Early closer) at Goodwood, Betfair Celebration Mile (Group 2)

8Sep12 3:25 (Early closer) at Haydock, Betfred Sprint Cup (British Champions Series) (Group 1)

15Sep12 2:35 (Early closer) at Doncaster, OLBG Park Stakes (Group 2)

15Sep12 4:25 (Early closer) at Curragh, Renaissance Stakes (Group 3)

20Oct12 2:25 (Early closer) at Ascot, Qipco British Champions Sprint Stakes (Group 2)

20Oct12 3:35 (Early closer) at Ascot, Queen Elizabeth II Stakes Sponsored By Qipco (British Champions Mile) (Group 1)

20Oct12 4:10 (Early closer) at Ascot, Qipco Champion Stakes (British Champions Middle Distance) (Group 1)

Make your own mind up, but it's clear from his future entries that his stable probably had the same stamina doubts as myself and NM, viz;

Entries in two 6f races, two 7f races, two 1m races and a 1m2f race would indicate a stable keeping it's options open to me, rather than a stable with doubts about stamina. Entries almost exclusively at shorter distances would indicate stamina doubts.

AO'B regularly enters his better horses in almost every gp1, early, and at myriad distances.
Gp2/3 entries are normally accepted much nearer the race time, and I'd suggest it's these that are significant.

AO'B regularly enters his better horses in almost every gp1, early, and at myriad distances.
Gp2/3 entries are normally accepted much nearer the race time, and I'd suggest it's these that are significant.

I'd suggest that looking at Gp2/3 entries for a horse like Excelebration has more to do with the possibility that Frankel had soured him (prior to the JLM win) and the potential need to give the horse a bit of an "easy" to get that winning feeling back if he didn't perform in the JLM.

.......and I'd contend that the stable didn't see 'sourness' as a problem, as they'd:
A/ Found suitable circumstances for him, in a race which hasn't AO'B hasn't even had a runner in for at least 4 years.
B/ Taken the trouble to book Ryan Moore for the ride (Whom, apparently, told his replacement Soumillon, that he would win, before the race).

Excelebration's form at a mile..without Frankel..a horse that would beat any other probably at that trip... reads

if he hadn't pulled hard early the 2nd would also be a win..so..8 wins at a mile.

% call is he stays a mile..imo

So your contention is that, despite having found a suitable target (the Moulin) with no fear of requiring a win in a lesser grade to get the horse back on terms with himself, they decided to enter the horse in races that they were never going to run in? (and not, as you pointed out, as part of their block entry policy)

Stupidity is not something that I would rapidly associate with Ballydoyle. If the reason behind these entries is as you surmise, then I shall have to review that belief.

Back