The thoughts of the handicappers.

Well unbelievable GG so pleased for you but i'd hate to hazard at guess at how the handicapper sees that you could be in for a huge, huge rise in the ratings, that is an absolute puzzler. The only horses with offical ratings are the 140 something you've beaten on very bad terms and a 110 and 115 rated animals some 25 lengths back. Taking the form literally you've either got a good horse there or ...you might be struggling in handicap company for a while.

Perhaps Dessie is brave enough to hazard a guess, Im not but certainly an interesting one now.

But i wouldnt worry about that yet hopefully you're just enjoying the day.

Last edited:
Congratulations G G very well done. :D

Thank you - made a very long drive back bearable, and he seemed okay too. All a plus.
See these RP people know nothing, although I guess they will say everything else under performed, which is what they needed to do for him to win. Better not run into me down a dark alley anytime soon :)

Well unbelievable GG so pleased for you but i'd hate to hazard at guess at how the handicapper sees that you could be in for a huge, huge rise in the ratings, that is an absolute puzzler. The only horses with offical ratings are the 140 something you've beaten on very bad terms and a 110 and 115 rated animals some 25 lengths back. Taking the form literally you've either got a good horse there or ...you might be struggling in handicap company for a while.

Perhaps Dessie is brave enough to hazard a guess, Im not but certainly an interesting one now.

But i wouldnt worry about that yet hopefully you're just enjoying the day.

Thank you. :) I really didn't think he could win - I am always 'the glass is always empty' person, thought the O'Brien horse was in there for an easy win. He's not mine - I just bred him, but he will always be my Big Baby Boy. Was desperately sick when he was 3 weeks old and they sent him home saying he probably wouldn't make it. Had to hand feed him for weeks. It broke my heart when I had to sell him as couldn't afford the livery for him and his Mum.
He's very willing bless him, and tries really hard like his dam. Yes indeed, but you have to keep trying to go forward, can't keep running in class 4's - no disrespect to that type of race. Only will know how good they can be when you push them. The weight obviously helped but maybe he could have done it without? The main thing, really, really is that he is fine and came home safe, plus selfishly it can't hurt the younger brother I have at home :)

Last edited:
Thank you. :) I really didn't think he could win - I am always 'the glass is always empty' person, thought the O'Brien horse was in there for an easy win. He's not mine - I just bred him, but he will always be my Big Baby Boy. Was desperately sick when he was 3 weeks old and they sent him home saying he probably wouldn't make it. Had to hand feed him for weeks. It broke my heart when I had to sell him as couldn't afford the livery for him and his Mum.
He's very willing bless him, and tries really hard like his dam. Yes indeed, but you have to keep trying to go forward, can't keep running in class 4's - no disrespect to that type of race. Only will know how good they can be when you push them. The weight obviously helped but maybe he could have done it without? The main thing, really, really is that he is fine and came home safe, plus selfishly it can't hurt the younger brother I have at home :)

Hopefully you'll get to tell that story on the T.V next year just after he's won the Champion Hurdle :whistle:

I'm going to add him in my tracker just so I can follow his progress. Every now and then I get the odd horse from lower class that I follow not for betting purposes just because I take one to my heart for some daft reason. There is a horse called Tyrsal I think was the last one I was following for a while from Clifford Lines stable. Someone once passed a comment about why he was entered for the Cambridgeshire when he was rated 55 or something daft like that as he'd never get into the race or the Silver version in a month of Sundays. That year there was a mass defection and he did get into the the Silver version race and somehow unbelievably he'd managed to win 2 races in quick succession just before hand if memory serves and was due to be raised a lot in the Handicap so ended up running in it officially well in. Well he ran alright in the race but didn't win it but it captured my imagination as to what other lofty entries Clifford could have lined up for him. When he won a race at Kempton on the AW a few months later I tried to start a campaign to get him entered in the Breeders Cup Classic the following year :). It never materialised but I covered the adventures of Tyrsal the mighty wonder horse on another forum I used at the time, for a couple of seasons afterwards always making some daft excuse for his defeats and trying to keep the Breeders Cup dream alive but Alas in the end did inevitably turn out to be a little bit ****, but I loved him anyway :)

I think your fella just became my next one, the road to the 2020 Champion hurdle starts here :)

And just in case you were wondering yes I'm completed puddled.

Last edited:
G-G.
I hope you are really enjoyed the day. Wow, what a thrill - a horse you are closely attached to hopefully coming back fine after such a splendid performance against highly thought of opponents. Certainly worth the drive and the concern for him.

I've been fortunate enough to own racehorses, and I've been attached to them all, but as you say he's your baby GG and that's little bit special.

I sincerely hope you have many more days like yesterday, and good luck with his brother. As you say, yesterday won't do his value any harm when you take him to the sales ring.

Last edited:
Hopefully you'll get to tell that story on the T.V next year just after he's won the Champion Hurdle :whistle:

I'm going to add him in my tracker just so I can follow his progress. Every now and then I get the odd horse from lower class that I follow not for betting purposes just because I take one to my heart for some daft reason. There is a horse called Tyrsal I think was the last one I was following for a while from Clifford Lines stable. Someone once passed a comment about why he was entered for the Cambridgeshire when he was rated 55 or something daft like that as he'd never get into the race or the Silver version in a month of Sundays. That year there was a mass defection and he did get into the the Silver version race and somehow unbelievably he'd managed to win 2 races in quick succession just before hand if memory serves and was due to be raised a lot in the Handicap so ended up running in it officially well in. Well he ran alright in the race but didn't win it but it captured my imagination as to what other lofty entries Clifford could have lined up for him. When he won a race at Kempton on the AW a few months later I tried to start a campaign to get him entered in the Breeders Cup Classic the following year :). It never materialised but I covered the adventures of Tyrsal the mighty wonder horse on another forum I used at the time, for a couple of seasons afterwards always making some daft excuse for his defeats and trying to keep the Breeders Cup dream alive but Alas in the end did inevitably turn out to be a little bit ****, but I loved him anyway :)

I think your fella just became my next one, the road to the 2020 Champion hurdle starts here :)

And just in case you were wondering yes I'm completed puddled.

Thanks Danny! What a great story! :)
I have followed various horses over the years for some of the most daft reasons.

Not selling the brother. I lost my mare nearly two years ago - that finally did break my heart when I thought it couldn't be broken any more. I am going to try and get him into a yard next yard if I can get a syndicate together, have a few people interested already. The better his big brother can do, it will all help. Every day when I get to the yard and he is well, I say a thank you. So far, touch wood, everything crossed, he's had no problems at all. He's a nut job, the complete opposite to Rowley who was the most laid back, chilled out soul , other than both of them are very easy to handle, luckily for me as I am hopeless, and with Brodie I just have to put on my ' this is your Nanny telling you off voice' on and he gets it.

I write some of my better posts when I am completely puddled :)

G-G.
I hope you are really enjoyed the day. Wow, what a thrill - a horse you are closely attached to hopefully coming back fine after such a splendid performance against highly thought of opponents. Certainly worth the drive and the concern for him.

Thank you - it was a long drive back! I have been really lucky with one of the owners who had him at her place from the start as she has always allowed me to go and see him when I could. She really has been kind.
I've had a message this morning to say he is absolutely fine :)

Was that the mare at Jim Old's, think I still have the pictures I took of her somewhere, did I ever send a copy of them to you ?

I've been fortunate enough to own racehorses, and I've been attached to them all, but as you say he's your baby GG and that's little bit special.

I sincerely hope you have many more days like yesterday, and good luck with his brother. As you say, yesterday won't do his value any harm when you take him to the sales ring.

Thank you so much. His mother was just so special to me - it's a long story which I won't........ I still get upset about her not being here now. He's doing her proud. :)

If the handicappers take any notice of the comments from Racing UK coverage yesterday he won't be put up at all!!! "Coolanly obviously way below par, probably had a flu injection and that has affected him but we don't know that for certain , but must be a reason why he ran so badly and was beaten by poor opposition..........."

If the handicappers take any notice of the comments from Racing UK coverage yesterday he won't be put up at all!!! "Coolanly obviously way below par, probably had a flu injection and that has affected him but we don't know that for certain , but must be a reason why he ran so badly and was beaten by poor opposition..........."

Poor opposition !!!!! Fools! Little do they realise that Coolanly was floored by a future Champion. In time they'll look back and say Coolanly only got so close to Munro because he got first run on him he was certainly flattered by his proximity to the winner.

Last edited:
Handicap movers this week

Fusil Raffles new 147
Dickie Diver new 143
Epatante new 143

Le Reve + 5 (130)
Capitaine + 6 (137)
Clondaw Castle + 10 (144)
Printing Dollars + 11 (128)
Flemcara + 4 (137)
Samburu Shujaa + 7 (136)
Eamon An Cnoic + 7 (137)