The Whippersnappers versus The Zimmerframers

And Jinny for the Zimmers Colin!!!!

3-3 going into the final leg, with the whippers narrowly up in 3, and 2 all square.

Tomorrows draw will appear shortly after CoP this evening

Imagine.......................0.........1..............Toobe

2.15 Poet's Voice £100 e/w.......................1.45 £100 WIN FOL HOLLOW
2.50 Alwaary £100 e/w.............................2.15 £100 E/W ELUSIVE PIMPERNEL
............................................................(£437.50 win & place @7/2 )
3.25 Sea The Stars £600 win.....................£100 WIN POETS VOICE
(£150 win)..............................................2.50 £100 E/W FATHER TIME
............................................................ (£87.50 for third @7/2)
.................................................. .........4.05 £100 WIN SHES OK
.................................................. .........4.40 £150 E/W WILLIAM BLAKE

Can I ask a question on this. Why doesn't Imagine get back his stake? If someone decided they wanted to put their bank on an even money shot should they not get £2,000 back rather than the £1,000 that they would get above? Otherwise,there is an emphasis on throwing a load of 50s on a load of outsiders in order to get the highest winnings rather than return of winnigs plus stake. or is this part of the master plan??

I'm not sure you could count a stake as a win really. You can only win something if you never had it in the first place. If you gave me £1000 and I gave it you back, you wouldn't suddenly announce that you'd won £1000.

For the purposes of this exercise it was easier to deal in who had beaten who. When I come to do the indiviudal tables I'll just omit the stake from the money lost column when a bet has been successful,a nd won't make a deduction against it. I think there possibly is some mileage in spreading the bets around a bit, and it's perhaps no coincidence that those people who put all the eggs in the one or two baskets have been wiped out today

Last edited:
Day 1 summary

The whippersnappers might have shown poor discipline and lack of numeracy skills, but in the end their superior cunning and tactical play out foxed the slow on the uptake geriatrics. Gareth, Triptych and Cantoris all sneaked home by a few crafty quid, and Jairducochet fan would have done too but was able to land a bet other than his sneaky one to settle the issue. Pricewise was the lucky beneficiary of the N/R rule with his stake transferring to a fav who went won.

Basically the zimmers were out thought and whippers take a lead of 6.5 to 4.5 in to the second day.

Top performers were Irish Stamp and JinnyJ who along with Toobe is carrying the lacklustre Zimmerframers

Tomorrows draw

Triptych..................Pricewise

Gareth Flynn............Toobe

Cantoris..................JinnyJ

Simon.....................Arkwright

Imagine...................Diamond Geezer

Steve T...................Euronymous

Irish Stamp..............Colin Phillips

Flame......................EC1

Jairducochet.............Trudi

Hamm......................Melendez

Bar The Bull...............me (if needed)

Last edited:
When I come to do the indiviudal tables I'll just omit the stake from the money lost column when a bet has been successful,a nd won't make a deduction against it.

Warbler, that is woman's thinking. Are you really a woman? You ask a Woman how much she won at the races and she'll tell you €5.50, that being the profit on the place part of the €5 EW that paid €2.10 on the Tote, and totally neglecting to mention the €5 lost on the win part of that bet and the €60 lost on the €5 EW bets in the other 6 races.

It's your competition, so I wont try and interfere. If you want to settle like a woman that's your business.

That's kind of what I was suggetsing to Cantoris;

I can't really accept that stake money being returned to you can be considered a "win". It's money not lost admittedly, but I don't see how that equals money won? I'm anxious to avoid a multiple scatter gun of selections though (as this will overload me - its already taking longer than I envisaged).

The Imagine v's Toobe is causing me some difficulties though

it should be based on winnings only..your stake isn't winnings

i can't see a problem with this really as everyone is staking a grand a day..how does affect anything?

I'm open to a consensus decision on it.

Imagine won a total of £150 and lost a total of £400 and a net loss therefore of £250. However, with a stake returned of £600 the picture changes.

1000 (bank) - £400 lost = cumulative total of 600
£150 won on running total of 600 = £750 (the loss of 250)
600 stake back + 750 = £1350
and therefore £350 more than they started out with

its a competiton of how much you win..not how crafty you are with your bets surely

I don't know why people have to try and be clever..stake your money on your judgement..and let the best pickers win..not the slyest

all that little tricks with stakes does is show a lack of confidence imo

if I had put up £1 win on a 1/4 shot in a fun competition ..just to make sure I won by 25p I would seriously be having a look at myself tbh

Last edited:
oh dear, hope I'm not causing too much trouble :o

I didn't place any of my bets with any intention of being sly - I'm afraid I'm not that clever :p

its a competiton of how much you win..not how crafty you are with your bets surely

I don't know why people have to try and be clever..stake your money on your judgement..and let the best pickers win..not the slyest

all that little tricks with stakes does is show a lack of confidence imo

if I had put up £1 win on a 1/4 shot in a fun competition ..just to make sure I won by 25p I would seriously be having a look at myself tbh

So that's why the Americans won the Ryder Cup for so long. Took the Europeans years to figure out how to be stylists!! And now that they have, they win it regularly because the Americans have messed up their player choices, both going into the Cup and during it.

So that's why the Americans won the Ryder Cup for so long. Took the Europeans years to figure out how to be stylists!! And now that they have, they win it regularly because the Americans have messed up their player choices, both going into the Cup and during it.

way too serious Cantoris for me :blink:

crikey..I were just thinking it were fun

EC - if your win return included your stake then technically the overall would also have to consider all monies lost on all bets as part of the equation. Well I am assuming of course.

Warbler - will all winnings be accumalated to show an overall at the end of the meeting? As I must admit I thought that was the point.

crikey..I were just thinking it were fun

Whippersnappers......don't fall for this old trick. The Zimmers think we are too young to remember the last time this "fun" trick was successfully used. Watch your back whippers, these Zimmers are a wily old bunch and will stoop to any low to gain a victory over us. Do not be fooled my fellow whippers.

Warbler - will all winnings be accumalated to show an overall at the end of the meeting? As I must admit I thought that was the point.

This was always meant to be a team event based on a matchplay format, so even if you're doing badly, you can still score a point on the final day that proves decisive. It was designed to keep everyone involved. The problem with cumulative totals over a 4 day period is it can be all but over after 2 or 3 days. The objective is to score more points than your opponent, so the margin of victory is neither here nor there. You'd still only score 1 point if you won 10 holes on the bounce in Ryder Cup, in much the same way as you'd only score a single point for a last hole sneak.

Although I said I'd happily try and run an individual scoreboard, I've bitten off more than I can chew in this regard, as I've got some difficult forms to fill in this week (will take the best part of a day or two) and am currently being terrorised by my sisters kids who want to play 'dinosaurs' 'water fights' and basically any game that involves inflicting injury on their uncle warbler.

If there is a volunteer who's happy to run a cumulative scoreboard then feel free!!! The figures you need should be in the master scoreboard.

I'm open to suggestions for rule changes, although the only one that currently makes sense is one that allows JinnyJ to play all 11 legs for the Zimmerframers, and the rest of the team can sit back in their armchairs and mutter away about the good old days

Last edited:
Warbler, as I was the one who raised the winnings v returns point, I'd like to add my further tuppence by saying you're doing a great job, stick to the original format which we understand and Ryder Cup format keeps everyone interested to the end, even if it mightn't be as much fun as EC1 would like!!

I think I am getting somewhere with the rules and principle of the game, but it seems confusing that one minute the amount you win counts and the next it doesn't.

Back