What are you backing Today? Part 2

A lot of money seemed to go on Heather Mains Wizarding last night. 4.15 Redcar. I follow her horses anyway. I also found another horse late last night that I wanted to back but there was no price up for it. It’s doing my head in that I can’t remember which horse it was. Should have written it down! ( money going on Joeremy in the same race now…)
So much for that. But the horse I wanted to back last night was Artic Row at Ayr. It’s friendless in the market however but at least I know what it was now.

Last edited:
A lot of money seemed to go on Heather Mains Wizarding last night. 4.15 Redcar. I follow her horses anyway.

Had the look of a typical Heather Main younger runner that could pop up out of the blue before the race. Couldn't go with them, maybe ground or needs further. Seemed to be finishing just about the best of them all. Hopefully, that hasn't totally wrecked the price for another time a little down the line.

Heather's last 4 runners before this have finished 2,1,2,2. After what's not appeared to have been the best season for the stable, it may pay to keep an eye open for more late-season runners.

No 100-1+ winner this season (yet!), but there's always next year!

Last edited:
Had the look of a typical Heather Main younger runner that could pop up out of the blue before the race. Couldn't go with them, maybe ground or needs further. Seemed to be finishing just about the best of them all. Hopefully, that hasn't totally wrecked the price for another time a little down the line.

Heather's last 4 runners before this have finished 2,1,2,2. After what's not appeared to have been the best season for the stable, it may pay to keep an eye open for more late-season runners.

No 100-1+ winner this season (yet!), but there's always next year!
Thanks for that. I managed to see the race but didn’t spot Wizarding. It had been 125/1 at one point last night. With the other horse Artic something or other it had said the horses that had finished either side of it when it came second had both ran well since so I might keep an eye on it. And it’s one still racing in Mr Hemings colours and I’m sure he would have liked to have left Kinneston a promising type. To add insult to injury Paddy Aspell tipped up the horse that came second at a big price but because of the time delay as I tried to put a quick ew on it the race started. It’s been one of those days!

Artic Row, Moehat.

From Nick before the race.....

"He is a lovely Yeats brother to our winning hurdler Artic Mann, he ran very well in his point-to-point bumper to finish a close second and the form of that race has worked out well, so while he will improve for the run I’d like to think he can run with credit in what looks like a decent enough bumper."

I was on the Black Sam Bellamy (never never leave a BSB alone in a softish ground bumper!!), so didn't watch what was happening behind, but looks like Artic didn't run quite so well as might have been hoped for. But all is not lost, might come good over hurdles in next few runs and we should get a heads up from NA, too.

And Phil Kirby’s My Strong Man ( Tonto) comes 3rd at 40/1. I back Phils Horses blind and often back horses that have been off the track for a long time. Double whammy and I didn’t back it. Artic Row’s run was pretty awful.

The 4/1 and 7/2 on the exchange and 7/2 Bet365 about Nicky's Farouk De Cheneau was quickly snatched up :)

His good 2nd to one of the smartest novices around at the moment, who has won 5 out of 5 over fences, gives him every chance of upsetting the favourite.

The 4.20 shouldn't take a lot of winning but I wouldn't be in a hurry to take the 7/2 on offer about their other runner at the meeting Buttsbury Lady who looks pretty ordinary and shouldn't take a lot of beating.

I'd rather back King Ottakar 15/2 EW James Bowen, who doesn't need to improve much to take a hand in a poor race at Bangor

Last edited:
Get a Weapon 4:05 Bangor. Third in this race last year off 5lbs higher and with a 10lb claimer aboard. If he doesn’t fall off she should have a bit of a chance. 7/1 atm. Just a fun bet.

3rd for a small profit...................80/1 1st 40/1 2nd I wonder who did the foreecast £1,688.38 :blink:

I wish I had.

God bless Jonjo.

I was just in a Betfred with one of my mates and chucked 2 quid e/w at the winner at 80/1, (didn't even look at the newspaper just wanted to back something at a big price).
After collecting my winnings I realised I did another £1 each way on no.11 which was the eventual second so got a return off that aswell.

Talk about not overthinking it.

Makes up for a **** load of bad luck I have have this flat season.

Walked out and have something for a bet at Nottingham tomorrow!

Last edited:
I got the second. If only we’d done the forecast! Well done Marb!

Thanks Moe total luck it was.

If I'd seen it was trained by Jonjo and going off at that price I would have probably put my 2 quid each way on something else.

Last edited:
If you's are lucky I might post my tips for Nottingham tomorrow. I'm clearly a man in form. :)

Last edited:
Get a Weapon 4:05 Bangor. Third in this race last year off 5lbs higher and with a 10lb claimer aboard. If he doesn’t fall off she should have a bit of a chance. 7/1 atm. Just a fun bet.

He didn’t fall off, but gave her quite a nice ride and won comfortably. Couldn’t reach Marb and Moe’s heights - well done both - but 7/1 wasn’t so dusty :)

He didn’t fall off, but gave her quite a nice ride and won comfortably. Couldn’t reach Marb and Moe’s heights - well done both - but 7/1 wasn’t so dusty :)

Well done Barj. Always good to see a bit of rational and logic get rewarded.

Curragh 1.40 Trachonitus was an eyecatcher the last day. He is only a two year old gelding but first time out in a nursery handicap and I think he is a danger to all here at current odds of 6/1 or thereabouts.

I'll have a win single on him and stick him in a yankee with a few at Nottingham. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
How’s Mahler doing as a NHS stallion? Are they worth keeping an eye on?

The Big Dog's a Mahler (won the Munster National at the weekend). That partly answers the question.

But you wouldn't normally be expecting one to pop up in a 2 mile (non heavy ground) novice hurdle. That just might be a pointer to how good he's going to be, although plenty of the runners seemed to be struggling and clearly need time.

I'd have said the proximity of a Sheila Lewis novice was indicating it wasn't a strong race...but that may be untrue. I just checked Sheila's record with novices and it's not bad at all (worth remembering for the future, because they're often going to be at bigger prices). Just goes to show, sometimes pointers are hiding in plain sight.

Sheila also had a C2 novice chase winner recently....could be a stable on the up.

Last edited:
Back