What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lucky last at Ascot brings me what I think is a good bet in Lost In Paris. Good recent form, pitched in against horses who are running well but up in the weights. I'm inclined to take them horses on here. 9's is a great price but I don't need another value bet loser.

Think he's the one though.

Last edited:
Did you get the lay on Luke? My thinking were you were effectively getting a win lay at place lay odds, as he for me would either win or be unplaced.

Laid him at 1.57 -the betting seemed to be fairly volatile.Watched the race with a friend -he said he didn't fancy my chances half a mile out but I was always hopeful.
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if be turned out to be listed class but today I was worried about the bounce,his weight and the jockey.
I had to go visit a few betting shops this afternoon to spread a bet around -I was in a strange shop and there was a big handicap about to go off in Germany -in the Betfair market there was very little money but someone wanted to back the bottomweight at 23 -the show was 28/1.Had a few quid each way at 28s-ridden by the trainers daughter it made all the running to win by abou a length.
It's amazing you can spend half your life studying form but there is no substitute for good luck.

Yarmouth 3:15 Ceremonial Jade - it's been 5years since this horse ran in this grade - 18lb lower than his all weather mark if you niclude the 5lb claimer and the outsider of the field. The last two times the trainer used the jockey and his claim he was 2nd twice at 14/1 & 40/1 - a performance within 10lb of his all weather form would see him in the mix and the odds have tempted me. 10.0 betfair

Laid him at 1.57 -the betting seemed to be fairly volatile.Watched the race with a friend -he said he didn't fancy my chances half a mile out but I was always hopeful.
I wouldn't be in the least surprised if be turned out to be listed class but today I was worried about the bounce,his weight and the jockey.
I had to go visit a few betting shops this afternoon to spread a bet around -I was in a strange shop and there was a big handicap about to go off in Germany -in the Betfair market there was very little money but someone wanted to back the bottomweight at 23 -the show was 28/1.Had a few quid each way at 28s-ridden by the trainers daughter it made all the running to win by abou a length.
It's amazing you can spend half your life studying form but there is no substitute for good luck.

Anyone want to guess the bet I was spreading around.

Sorry for a little bit of mischief. The Diesel ( John Riggins) of the Redskins is one of my all time heroes and I know many on here would instantly recognise the reference if it were in the other sports section.

Riggins shudda/wudda won last years Royal Hunt Cup off a mark of 100 but met a little trouble at the beginning of his run carrying a significant amount of my money (ew :)). Off 104 today and wearing headgear for the first time- I didn't realise he might need it-and having had a nice pipe opener over an inappropriate 10f- he should be in the shake up. A C&D winner I feel he has great chance today especially if the headgear brings improvement, 12/1.

Riggins is the first leg of a homemade trixie for me along with 2 other old favourites of mine that go on Saturday. Fathsta is another leg whilst the other is yet to be priced up.

You might want to get moving because Riggins is Pricewise. I've helped myself to the 5/1 Tazahum (another of Tom Segal's picks) in the 2.35. I was on last time when at Ascot when I thought a step up in trip would be the makings of him. He travellled really well but had nothing left up the straight.

Thanks for that Gearoid. I won't pay for anthing on the internet nor regularly buy RP so don't read Pricewise.
I have followed Riggins' progress from the start attracted initially by the name and I think the horse is well named as he has the ability to put a short explosive burst as did his namesake. I have been availing myself of plenty of AP on Riggins and have reserved my Goodwood funds for these 3 horses. At the prices it doesn't take too much on the multiples to get to a target of £100k pickup if the 3 were to win.

I'd a fair idea you did not know it was Pricewise. It would be a shame for your hard work to be undone by him tipping your fancy and missing the best price.

I reckon today's trip is likely to be Maqaasid's optimum and she has a good draw as well. I'd have had her favourite for the Oak Tree. Harbour Watch is a lay in the Richmond and I like Goldoni in the nursery and Neebras in the mile conditions race. Like the look of Federation at Thirsk also.

I'm unable to resist nurseries and Tina's Spirit looks an enormous price to me in the 4.55 at Goodwood although I'll have a saver on Apostle.

Tortoni has a good chance in the first at Hamilton tonight.

Playtime again.

Goodwood:

2.05 Yer Woman
2.35 Woolfall Treasure
3.45 Evens And Odds

might try a patent here ...

Yarmouth 8:40 Ugalla 10/1 e/way 6run- Trainer says: "She was badly hampered L/T/O at the 3f pole just as she was getting ready to make her moveand ran a lot better than the form might suggest. I have been happy with her since and I am looking for a big run at Yarmouth on Wednesday as I feel the long straight will give her time to get organised."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pontefract 4:10 Chosen One 11/1 & King Of Swords 12/1 e/way each and a r/f/c - both finished 3rd & 1st in this race last year and both have a look of horses laid out for the race.
Chosen One is trained by Ruth Carr and the race is named after her Grandads famous h'capper Chaplin's Club. Ruth would have been learning her trade at the yard when this horse was running before she took over the reigns from her grandad David Chapman. This is only her second runner in this race which must hold some sentimental value, Chosen One was 3rd last year and is off a 4lb lower mark this time around.
King Of Swords is going for the hatrick having won in 2010 & 2009 off 10lb & 9lb higher marks if you include the 3lb claim from the jockey and looks as if this has been the seasons target. Both trainers are in good form and both horses have a draw close to the rail which is essential at this track.
I expect Mr Wolf to make the running then both my selections to pounce at the furlong mark and fight it out. I would not be surprised to see the odds tumble on these selections closer to the off.

Last edited:
Chef...liking the angle on the 4.10 race. The info other than the obvious can often make the difference...I'm on the RFC and have stuck with Chosen One...here's hoping

Chef...liking the angle on the 4.10 race. The info other than the obvious can often make the difference...I'm on the RFC and have stuck with Chosen One...here's hoping

King of Swords a non-runner and Chosen One pipped at the post in the last couple of strides :mad:

Chef...well done on Chosen One. I thought we were home and hosed only for Comptonspirit's withering late run down the outside. Still got the place money but nice spot!;)

I like the look of Jouster in the 6:20 at Sligo - well drawn and running style will suit - similar profile to Dodging Bullets which got me out of jail in Galway -
16/1 freely available - decent EW chance.

Ssshhhhh but any money off the show for Nancy Meehan (Sligo 5.50) should be noted as a positive.

Chosen One is trained by Ruth Carr and the race is named after her Grandads famous h'capper Chaplin's Club. Ruth would have been learning her trade at the yard when this horse was running before she took over the reigns from her grandad David Chapman. This is only her second runner in this race which must hold some sentimental value, Chosen One was 3rd last year and is off a 4lb lower mark this time around.

I very nearly bought this SC. The club not the horse. When funds were much better. Then followed the horse for a load of winning races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back