What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be considered to be fairly good at it when they are cleaned and dressed.Having complete responsibility kills me.

Think His Excellency could go well FTO for Pipe with a very decent 10lb claimer up - he was a useful enough Juvenile Hurdler last season winning a G2 on yielding to soft at the Christmas Festival at Leopardstown. His recent record suggests that hell be better on today's quicker surface having been narrowly beaten at Sligo on good ground and then winning his Chasing debut at Killarney on the same ground. He wasn't beaten too far (10 1/2 lengths) at a massive price (100/1) when eighth in the Triumph at Cheltenham back in March. He won a Handicap Chase off 1lb lower on his penultimate start at Killarney (weight allowance that day should be partially off-set by 10lb claimer up today) and he'd have had next to no chance in the Galway Plate LTO. I wouldn't read too much into them travelling them to Scotland as IIRC the owners are from the North anyway and I think he's underestimated at 14/1 (Coral).

Martin

Last edited:
Some challenging handicaps today. Galician 3.20 Newmarket is one I've been following recently, to my benefit. Given an awful ride last week at the Shergarbage meeting,when should have won. In great shape and at around 4/1 is a value bet.

Sentimental attachment to a horse can be detrimental to one's bank balance but overall I seem to get Our Jonathan 3.30 Ripon right most of the time. Top weight but down 6lb from highest mark desite being thereabouts recently. Jockey booking a concern, and a possibility that a further drop in mark might be beneficial for an unknown target. However despite often finding trouble can generally get a place and 14/1 more than compensates for the risks. EW.
In the Silver 2.0 Ripon Mappin Time really appeals at around 20s on the machine.

Two more second's. **** this rancid flat season. When two bit handicappers are winning Group races at 5 to ******* 4 it's time for the Jumps methinks.

After an awful day yesterday an outrageous punt today. La Fortunata Pont 3.45. Six Furlongs G/F seems to suit her well. Some impressive perfomances recently. 40/1 generally available.

Over this distance she sets out in front but has a finishing kick. When she beat Sioux Rising 1.5 lengths on penultimate start she kicked on before 5f and immediately had the race won, not flat out to the line. On levels today she got 5lbs then but imo had more than that in hand. Sioux Rising is trading at 7's

Last edited:
Both trainer and jockey are saying Snow Fairy (2.40 Deauv.) will need the run, but all have been involved in racecourse gallops at 3 different venues, which suggests they aren't leaving much to chance. Sent abroad (has an outstanding 'away' record) for her seasonal debut for the first time in her career, too.
With the ground in her favour and a good pace assured, should take the world of beating; the 4/1 will do nicely.

commend is a lay at 5/4 ish on this ground in the 4.55

Sadly, instead of following this sage advice my bet in the race was on Valiant Girl at 8/1 to win. Form Book comment: "held up in rear, not clear run from 2f out and still no room inside final furlong, edged right and strong run final 50yds, finished fast, unlucky."

Both trainer and jockey are saying Snow Fairy (2.40 Deauv.) will need the run, but all have been involved in racecourse gallops at 3 different venues, which suggests they aren't leaving much to chance. Sent abroad (has an outstanding 'away' record) for her seasonal debut for the first time in her career, too.
With the ground in her favour and a good pace assured, should take the world of beating; the 4/1 will do nicely.

Great shout, and nice to see she's as good as ever

Well spotted yeeehah:whistle:

Well done with SF. Showed plenty of guts to force her way through. Had a bet at 6.8 on the back of your write up.

Cheers

Miss Work Of Art in the listed fillies race at Ponty.

Backing fillies from 2 to 3 is always a risk, but add in the fact that she's had some kind of problem with 11 months off and very few options planning wise, betting these types is probably a layers dream.

However, the fact remains she is officially the best horse in the field, won on debut last season and goes on fast ground.

The lay off looks to be the main driver in the price of the filly, whose efforts last season should really see her trading less than the double figures currently quoted. Managed to average 12.0 with the n/r, but will go in again if drifting further.

Both trainer and jockey are saying Snow Fairy (2.40 Deauv.) will need the run, but all have been involved in racecourse gallops at 3 different venues, which suggests they aren't leaving much to chance.

Great bet. I dismissed her readily because she badly needed her first run last year. This was a far easier target for her though this time round and that made all the difference.

Tout Seul
After an awful day yesterday an outrageous punt today. La Fortunata Pont 3.45. Six Furlongs G/F seems to suit her well. Some impressive perfomances recently. 40/1 generally available.

Over this distance she sets out in front but has a finishing kick. When she beat Sioux Rising 1.5 lengths on penultimate start she kicked on before 5f and immediately had the race won, not flat out to the line. On levels today she got 5lbs then but imo had more than that in hand. Sioux Rising is trading at 7's

La Fortunata led Mince until in the final furlong fading into 4th. I had taken plenty of 70's and 80's and preset lays down to 4. Lowest I/R 3.15. Wasn't quick enough to lay all of potential returns but a decent multiple of stake enhanced by a stake saver bet on Mince. Place went to 1.22 but I was fully out by 2.1.
Having earlier taken advantage of Reet's clever thinking on Snow Fairy -a pretty good day.

Thirsk 3:00 - Whozthecat has loads of 2nds and 3rds to his name, but is down to his lowest ever mark and therefore has to be considered. He's been making the running the last few times, and the drop to 5F on good ground at a track and distance he's won at before in the past, could see him improve those extra few pounds he needs to get his head in front. These are probably his ideal conditions now. At around 14's he is a good left-field choice in the race.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back