What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 1/2 from my selections yesterday (a 7/2 winner). No one gave me an drop of gratification (and probably rightly so), but I'm not looking for any either. If it makes you feel any better, I'm a decent lad who's been systematically singled out for the silent treatment (and abuse) for years, but I'm not complaining. People are arseholes, including me sometimes.

We move on, and no, I don't want to meet them at the races...

Last edited:
nothing to with gratification..its about reading forums and not taking part...personally ,,after today..i'm going to do the same for a bit..just read..i'm bored with posting as though talking to yourself..whats the point?

Fair do's. I think we are seen as mugs for sharing are opinions for free. No does anything for free in this day and age EC1, especially not giving tips out, when stick may come our way if we get it wrong.

Start a blog, you obviously have a lot of admirers (or followers).

I dip in and out of the forum but often miss your selections EC; thankfully backed Sunny something or other earlier on [if in doubt go for the outsider]. Have just backed Billy Bronco but, as with most days I'm down [only by pennies]. Even Pam Sly let me down yesterday and I can always rely on her. On Estibaad in the next.

Tower Power has just had a mention on WH Radio so I've had some pennies on that. Need a 25/1 winner today. Whoops; just missed the break so that's that....

Fair do's. I think we are seen as mugs for sharing are opinions for free. No does anything for free in this day and age EC1, especially not giving tips out, when stick may come our way if we get it wrong.

Start a blog, you obviously have a lot of admirers (or followers).

i'm not interest in blogs tbh Marb..if i didn't post tips here i wouldn't bother..i've dabbled with posting elsewhere but find lack of interest in posts a waste of effort tbh

i'm happy just backing my fancies without sharing..you are probably right..those who never post ..but read everyday..do probably think we are mugs for sharing..there is a simple answer to that..no tips from this quarter..its no skin off my nose...i post for the crack and because i've been on here for a lot of years and like the forum..if there is no crack then for me it makes it pointless.

I'm embarrassed to say that I had backed Black Dave as well EC. Now that I'm retired I have WHill radio on, oddschecker, facebook this forum up and flit from one to the other having tiny bets [and I mean tiny]. What I'm not doing is actually studying races properly myself [although I do sometimes]. I'm a complete mug punter but I'd probably spend far more if I went out anywhere; dog worries a bit when I start screaming my head off though [and swearing a tad]. It's awful listening on the radio as you can't see what's happening [obviously].

I wish I could post more but work gets in the way. I do value your posts though EC, just don't always have time to reply.

wasn't meaning you Benny..just generally get fed up with seeing such as Chefs tip yesterday getting nothing back..but names on the competion threads appear i didn't even know were members

its time for people to make effort if they want a vibrant forum..they got time to read and take part in comps..they can post on other threads too imo

I can honestly say what you and others put up here is appreciated EC, but often by the time I get to a thread like this it's moved on. It's the nature of this kind of thread for most posters when they sign in I'd say.

I'd also add that there is an awful lot of mutual respect and appreciation on here which I believe should go without saying.

Besides surely there's something gratifying beyond the winning when people see the results of your efforts.

Echo that. Although I personally have no interest in AW racing the effort you put in here is clearly hugely appreciated by those who do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wasn't knocking for kind words lads..just a little acknowledgement for efforst by anyone that takes the time

whats on my mind a bit is what i heard on WHRadio other day..two of the pundits have blogs at GG.com..that site did have a forum..but they took it down..one of teh guys who runs that site said it weren't worth the effort..the site is just a series of blogs.

i appreciate what we have here and would hate that sort of situation happening here..just because people don't interact with folk who share their work..and so those who share then bugger off thinking whats the point..i'll go on twitter and talk to mesen all day..i don't get twitter at all mesen..a soulless pointless vehicle

forums are far superior to twitter..far better..but at the moment..its "trendy" to have a twitter account.

a decent forum..of any kind..is something to value..it really is imo

interraction is key Maruco

TRF a few weeks ago was getting a posting about once every 6 hours..then a therad appeared about site being in death throes and it seems to have picked up a bit..but i don't believe in waiting until its that bad.

Never been that bad here obviously..but sites can quickly drop off..we've seen it happen elsewhere.. there are some very good people out there..who aren't posting..i'd like to see them post..just put summat in..if they value reading board everyday..then play a part...its not much to ask is it?

Last edited:
People with nothing to say, are best saying nothing, is my view, EC1. Quiet periods on forums are a fact of life - it doesn't mean that the patient is on life-support.

This forum is very self-correcting. There is generally something being posted somewhere to alleviate the boredom, and if it isn't in the Racing section, it will be in the Chit-Chat or Other Sports forums. This place generally has a good balance, and a handful of days after the Xmas holidays is just about the worst-time to assess it from a "traffic" perspective.

Last edited:
Should really be a different thread for this discussion but here goes my thoughts :)

Forums have been dying for around 10 years now. Look at how many racing forums there were, and how busy they all were. I'll use gg as its mentioned above, that was massive, had hundreds of posts every day, now its gone. Direct Racing, FF, atacanta, and many others have gone now.

Twiiter and facebook have pretty much caused this, like EC I don't get twitter. My daughter uses it and I asked whats so good about it and she couldn't answer. Facebook I get a bit more, as you can at least write as much as you like, and I would say FB is more like forums, as long as you either have 2 accounts (defeats the object) or don't mind loads of strangers having access to your personal stuff. We get some great posts on here, some of which would take 20 tweets as they are so long and detailed.

Unfortunately, the effect is that while we still have a decent amount of core members, and a decent amount of members who post every now and then or when the large meetings are on, the numbers are nowhere near the levels of 10 years ago, although I don't think anyone will find a forum that was alive then and is still as busy now, on any subject. People leave, they move on in life, they get married and don't have time for racing any more, they move away, life priorities change, and while most younger people head to twitter or facebook, getting new members is extremely hard. That has the knock on effect of forums getting quieter, and people find it, look in, and think its quiet, so don't join.

We have a facebook page, but I'm reluctant to push it too much, simply because people will post on there and not on the forum & I'm not sure that would be a good thing, it certainly wouldn't be for the forum, but it might get more interaction with it being facebook.

I have tried certain things to push the forum, the bookmakers free bets forum is for SEO purposes, weirdly, one of the search terms that performs well to get to us is 'Skybet existing customer offers' due to a thread from a few years ago - if you google that phrase you will see we are 5th or 6th on google for that result, so that forum was added to try to get people over from that type of search and hopefully getting them joining. Thats something I will be looking at a little more this year and hopefully will work. the problem I have is I don't want people to think the forum is all about making money, as that puts people off, and more importantly it doesn't make any, it loses money lol.

The only way the forum will pick up is if people post more, this is always a bad time of year, but hopefully it will pick up again for Cheltenham :)

The thing I like about Facebook is that people talk a lot about the history of racing, put up photos of favourite horses, reminisce about horses they've looked after etc. I think Facebook and forums can work together. Out of interest I'll check out the Talkinghorses page. What I don't want is people on Facebook getting hold of EC's all weather tips before I have!

I don't post anywhere near as much as I would like because work is so busy I don't get the time, but when I do find some time I find I use it up by playing catch-up and reading all the posts I've missed since I last logged in. I especially like to keep up with the regular posters on here. It's taken me half an hour just to post this with being called away every couple of minutes. :)

I would echo what a few others have said. I often read the forum but don't get a chance to post too often due to work and family. It doesn't help that when I do, even though overall i'm making a decent profit, my selections seem to disappoint. Maybe i'll post more and see if I can change that.

The selections that others post are always greatly appreciated and I hope EC1 and everyone else continue to post. Maybe we can all try a bit harder to keep the forum a bit busier.

Think we are getting through the lergy and Desertmore Hill could show this today at Donny . For sure its a big price

2.25 - Doncaster - The Ramblin Kid. 1.5 pts win. Available at 8/1.
Lovely Job is all the rage for this after splitting two horses who have achieved more since on his Stable/Chasing debut at Leicester last time out. A former Irish Point winner, he could be suited by the step up to three miles for the first time under rules but whether he is worth the price he currently is against some very viable alternatives is open to debate. At the relevant odds preference is for the Ramblin Kid. It was too far out to say how he would have fared in a better race at Newcastle over an extended 20 furlongs last time out but he was travelling well and looked to build on his subsequent effort at the same track. That came over an extended 23 furlongs and he was beaten just over a length into fourth of the nine runners. That too, was a better race than this one and he is allowed to race form the same mark today. This is just his fourth start over fences and it would be surprising if he wasn't better than his current rating of 117. His sole win to date came in heavy ground and he is by no means a bad jumper of fences. Sam Twiston Davies takes the ride for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back