What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
South 1.50 Fishforcompliments win @ 5/2
Ace Of Spies In running saver @ 20.0

Although AOS is way Out of it officially, I do think the step up will suit and he could be decent value in running.

The Bailey/ Middleham mob may get stuck into Impris Tagula, but I'd want to see a pro on board at the kind of price.

Fishforcompliments ran a decent race last time at the track in a h/cap and in receipt of 5lb from the fav ( levels with the jocks claim) and Hannagan in the sadle, he looks worth backing at a short price. His run at Kempton looks decent when beaten by a well punted horse who has continued in winning form.

South 3.20 Symphonic Dancer win @ 16/1BOG

Probably looks like a complete guess with a string of poor runs but two of her maiden runs took my attention, but she never got an entry giving her any chance of winning when put into h/caps last year.

The combination of the trainers record with horses off a break and 1st attempt on the surface would normally mean this should be a "watch" race with a view to next time out. This will be probably the case, but there are three reasons for punting this horse.

It looks likely to be a drifter in an open market, so should be a decent price.
Although picked up for peanuts, she is well bred, from a sire whose progeny go well at the track. She was unraced at 2 & 3yo and had quite a busy run last season, were her mark has come down from 72 to 57. At the price, I wouldn't want to risk the missing the boat on a horse who may just love the surface. The trainers local track is Wolver, so the fact she has run there 9 times and not tried Southwell may mean little, even though a little baffling.
The standard of opposition does not really look that strong with various question marks.
Valley Tiger with Hannagan on board looks interesting, but he did little on fibresand for previous trainer, but could improve under Fahey.

Vitznau looks a strong contender on his last run here, but the jockey inside the 2f mark is a negative for me.
Fluctuation is probably the strongest of the market leaders, having been given a revised mark of 59 for his last run over C&D, when claimed by Williams. He has been beaten on several occasions with headgear, but he comes here on a 5lb lower mark.

Jo Boy could be a plot horse, trainer change, prep at Kempton and returns to the track where he ran in a decent maiden, with plenty of the oponents running off higher marks than his 63 today. What tempers confidence is the fact he went wrong last time running here, but more importantly, you would expect a plunge of money.

Cheers

Just a personal fancy - Arturo Uno in 3:40 - I think his last run came too quick after his penultimate race, which looks decent to me in the context of this race. His form suggests he needs 4 weeks at least between his races. Has had nearly 6 weeks rest and I'm hopeful he can put his best feet forward. 12/1 e/way with Corals looks fair.

Only bet for me today is Up The Girls in the 2:35 Limerick - she'd been running very well in points and looked to have really come into her own this autumn prior to a return to the track at Tramore on the final day of 2011, she usually makes the running but was left 5 or 6 lengths at the start and had to creep into the race under John Cullen but she was given a fine ride and only just failed to peg back todays rival Volkis O'Blue, she's up 2lbs for that run and Paul Townend takes over but given her racing style I think that Limerick will suit and that she still has plenty in hand of the handicapper. The 7/1 with Boylesports should be smashed!!

Last edited:
Off to Hereford today...

1.30 Hard to oppose Tour D'Argent but can't be bothered to play at 1-2. No bet.

2.00 Surprised Destroyer Deployed is as big as 5-6 but Dannanceys Hill shaped with a lot of promise on hurdles debut (even though he was eventually well beaten) and is good a good each-way bet at 8-1 or bigger.

2.30 A good little race in which all four can be fancied. Get It On drops in class and might be slightly overpriced at 3-1 but I won't be getting too heavily involved.

3.00 Originally fancied Quinte Du Chatelet but don't think there is any value in him at 4-1, particularly as the market suggests Domos Boy is expected to show considerable improvement today. Had a small bet on Beta Blocker at 8-1 (thought he ran well last time).

3.30 A crap race. Bull Market can definately win off his current mark but the ground is a concern and who knows what his trainer is up to? Home Run may well have been plotted up but it takes a leap of faith to back him at 3-1 without knowing the inside story. Echo Dancer is fairly consistent and worth a small each way at 16-1.

4.00 Backfromthecongo (nap) hasn't been running that badly in better races this season and should enjoy the chance to dominate inferior rivals today.

4.30 No bet in the bumper.

Good luck today Relkeel - Dannanceys Hill certainly didn't come cheap so you'd be expecting him to run the favourite close today.

Off to Hereford today...

1st 4/11

2.00 Surprised Destroyer Deployed is as big as 5-6 but Dannanceys Hill shaped with a lot of promise on hurdles debut (even though he was eventually well beaten) and is good a good each-way bet at 8-1 or bigger.

3rd 11/1

2.30 A good little race in which all four can be fancied. Get It On drops in class and might be slightly overpriced at 3-1 but I won't be getting too heavily involved.

2nd 3/1

3.00 Originally fancied Quinte Du Chatelet but don't think there is any value in him at 4-1, particularly as the market suggests Domos Boy is expected to show considerable improvement today. Had a small bet on Beta Blocker at 8-1 (thought he ran well last time).

3 mentioned, 1st, 2nd and 3rd! Tricast paid £115.78

3.30 A crap race. Bull Market can definately win off his current mark but the ground is a concern and who knows what his trainer is up to? Home Run may well have been plotted up but it takes a leap of faith to back him at 3-1 without knowing the inside story. Echo Dancer is fairly consistent and worth a small each way at 16-1.

unplaced

4.00 Backfromthecongo (nap) hasn't been running that badly in better races this season and should enjoy the chance to dominate inferior rivals today.

1st 9/2

wow great tipping there!

I hope you made the most of your good selections, Relkeel, including throwing a quid or two on that tricast!

Just having some fun

7:10
Honourable Knight - 4pt win
Bin End 1pt r/f/c

Sovento & Time Square combo tricasts x 0.25pts with above 2

Off to Hereford today...

A good day out sir?

A strange fav on form I expect many fingers were burnt.

I couldn't quote you the exact details but think it was backed 14's into 7/2 before being WD last week, I think it also has Barney Curley connections, that's only reason I watched it closely.

They do need to switch Simonsig back to the Supreme as he'd win that if they go for it - sadly I don't trust Nicky to realise this in the one or two runs that he's planning for the horse pre-Cheltenham so if you could give him a gentle nudge/shove that would be greatly appreciated ;)

Martin

Consider it done Martin, I told him to run BBB at Cheltenham on Saturday to find out if he acts on the course:lol:

Seroiusly though he is entered and it comes as no surprise he's testing the water. He did the same with Grandouet to find out if a year on he could get up the hill. As he said at the time there's no sense in running at the festival if they don't act on the course when Aintree has so much to offer.

If he can beat the likes of Alan Kings horse impressively giving him 7lbs you might well get your wish. He's definitly running Darlan in the Betfair Hurdle which should see and end to his Cheltemham aspirations.....I hope:p Incidentally as Barry will ride it should give you a hint to which horse Nicky intends running in the Grade 2 at Donnie.

The worry is most of those entered in BBB's race go to Docaster, it turns out to be a poorly contested farce and they end up none the wiser.

I can hear your mind ticking over already thinking back BBB at 20/1 and lay him back at 10's after the race ;)

AP back today!! Key to the West steering job? Should be he cost enough and reportedly can go a bit. Hate bumpers as they are so unpredictable plus I'm told there was apparantly a "won't beat ours" message from Ditchat lgoing about last night.......Probably be very very short as everyone will be talking about AP's comeback so I'm hoping Vosges wins at Newcastle today and I don't have to put my hand back into my own pocket to back Key to the West

Last edited:
I couldn't quote you the exact details but think it was backed 14's into 7/2 before being WD last week, I think it also has Barney Curley connections, that's only reason I watched it closely.

Curiously strange ride....watch this space I reckon:ninja:

Many thanks to Irish Stamp, Grey, DVDS and Swedish Chef for your kind words.

I had a good day at Hereford but there is a limit to the amount of praise I can accept for mentioning Tour D'Argent - a workmanlike 4-11 winner I didn't even back!

Quinte Du Chatelet was the one that got away but I made a decision there was no value in him at 4-1 and stuck to it. I didn't even think about a tricast.

Dannanceys Hill is definitely one for notebooks. He must have had some sort of problem on his hurdle debut as, having looked likely to be involved in the finish, he stopped quickly and was nursed home.

Yesterday, I got the strong impression Timmy Murphy had been instructed to look after him and bring him back in one piece. Having given him a very negative ride, Murphy seemed almost reluctant to push him past the weakening favourite to claim third. With that run under his belt, I think he'll do much better next time.

PS I'm not accusing McCain/Murphy of anything unscrupulous, I think they were thinking about the horse's future.

Totally agree about DH relks. Backed him in place market after you pointed him out and it was a very tender ride from Murphy. Doubtful he could have challenged winner anyway, but definitely one for the notebook.

Ad Idem has some really decent form in the book and at around 20's is a cracking bet in the 3:05 at Gowran for me, in what doesn't look like the strongest grade one handicap ever.

Bob Lingo for the forecast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back