What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something in today's Wayward Lad? Shouldn't Duc Des Genievres be even money at best???
Duc Des Genievres has been extremely poor in his 2 runs so far this season in Ireland. Also, that Arkle form from March is only average, at best. Imagine they are the contributing factors to his price today.

Having said all that, today's race doesn't look very deep at all. Sceau Royal has been drifting hard - ground is against him. It's very difficult to look at Capeland as the rightful 6/4 fav here. So maybe Duc is the bet. I've avoided the race myself - thus far anyway.

Is the ground against SR? It's not optimal but surely it's soft ground plus level of opp that finds him out like in last year's Tingle Creek against Altior and UDS.

Trying to look on the bright side, DDG never really made a semblance of a mistake but neither did he really look like pegging back an ostensibly inferior (but possibly on the up this season) opponent.

I don't mind dismissing a couple of seemingly disappointing performances in the first half of a season so wasn't put off by DDG's two seasonal defeats and today was clearly much better but an Arkle winner should be up to beating a Bun Doran.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mick Fitz's summary proves accurate: a step back in the right direction. I just wonder what the seasonal target might be.

2.30 Catterick [Saturday]

Benarty Hill

Each Way @ 12-1 [Bet 365]

Know connections think he is capable of winning a race like this

Newbury 1:50

Trainer Olly Murphy is usually a good operator in handicap hurdles. He has THE WOLF. I think his novice hurdle win on his first start for Murphy looked like a big step up. For some reason he ran below par the last day. Maybe he bounced or just had an off day on heavy ground. Murphy has given The Wolf a 45 day break off the track which is a decent amount of time to recouperate. I'll be chancing my arm on him on the basis he could still be very well handicapped. 14's or 16/1 will do.

Last edited:
I obviously wish our Kemboy owners well today, but I think Road to Respect is the bet of the week st 5s. I'm going in.

Newbury 1:50

Trainer Olly Murphy is usually a good operator in handicap hurdles. He has THE WOLF. I think his novice hurdle win on his first start for Murphy looked like a big step up. For some reason he ran below par the last day. Maybe he bounced or just had an off day on heavy ground. Murphy has given The Wolf a 45 day break off the track which is a decent amount of time to recouperate. I'll be chancing my arm on him on the basis he could still be very well handicapped. 14's or 16/1 will do.

Tracking him after todays second.

He could make into a Martin Pipe Conditional Hurdle horse at the festival with any luck.

Last edited:
Emily Goldfinch 3.00S has never run over 5f, but showed enough speed, last backend, to shoot clear,from the distance of a 6f Newmarket 0-.90.
Untried on the Southwell surface, but the general 22/1 makes her worth a pop, to find out.

Kelso 2:35 Sidi Ismael is taken to improve again on decent recent form and land odds of 11/2. The NAP of today.

12.25 Haydock [Monday]

Behind Time

Each Way @ 16-1 [Bet 365]

Capable trainer who is getting to know the horse run by run

Haydock 2:35 Don Juan Du Gouet for Henry Daly looks a big price at 14/1 on the opening show.

Last edited:
Speaking of the 12.25 at Haydock - I haven't seen anything like that for a long time! The winner was off the bridal going down to post.

He's come from absolutely nowhere on the run in, so much so, when I was watching the replay, I actually thought the result on the website was wrong because he was no where to be seen! Absolutely unbelievable scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back