What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t expect Brewinupastorm to have a tough race today. I’d imagine this is a fitness and jumping exercise for the Paddy Power Gold Cup in a couple of weeks where I have him backed and fancy him strongly. They won’t want to ruin his mark either. A trot around for some place prize money is more likely the ambition today.

Similar comments apply to Black Op who probably has this as a stepping stone for the Hennessy. They also won’t want to blow his mark.

Sam Brown and Windsor Avenue Are unexposed and may well play a hand here. I suspect both will be trying. Anthony Honeyball has his string well forward, and Brian Ellison has given Windsor Avenue the wind op. If the other three aren’t right on their game you couldn’t discount a boilover.

Given Kim Bailey’s form though, and that he’ll want to give Imperial Aura a proper campaign to see if he’s a Ryanair horse, I suspect he’s the one today. I don’t think they’ll want him beat today, so I reckon he’ll be spot on and he’ll win.

Last edited:
Paul, I'm not sure Brewinupastorm is even entered for the Paddy Power Gold Cup. Imperial Aura is in the first handful in the betting for the Paddy Power so I'm not sure they'd want ro ruin his mark either.

No Brewinupastorm in the PP Gold Cup, Paul.

FWIW, I backed Slate House for the race yesterday. Not one to entirely trust, but FTO the time to get him, imo.

That’s what going away for a week does! :blink:

I need to check the entries and get on top of them.

It is with a very heavy heart that I have taken sickness insurance on Aberdeen to foil Celtic's bid to return to Hampden next month to secure the quadruple treble.

But we're dealing with Scottish football here...

I do miss Honest Tom's Masonic Index and everything that has happened so far this season screams that the dark powers who run Scottish football are determined to fulfil their 'Stop The Ten' agenda. Stopping the fourth successive Scottish Cup is a sub-section of the same agenda.

We have witnessed some incredible decisions already this season. I can't recall the last time Celtic got to the 15th minute without one of their players being booked for an innocuous tackle. Usually it's Scott Brown or Callum McGregor, one of the cleanest players anywhere, but really any strong challenge anywhere on the pitch by a Celtic player tends to be punished whereas hammer-throwing opponents tend to be allowed anything up to five hefty ones before the refs speak to them.

Today's ref is Don Robertson who has become one of the most card-happy guys in the business, showing 22 yellows so far in just 5 premiership games (not to mention TEN in his only Europa League match). One of his back-up men is Douglas Ross, leader of the Scottish Conservative Party, whose anti-Celtic agenda is well known up here.

Expect Celtic to get nothing from today's officials.

We should still be good enough to beat the Dons who fancy themselves as hard men. Guys like Ferguson and Cosgrave will be allowed to elbow their way through the game with impunity. Both can dive in a way that makes Tom Daly look like a top-bomber so it's hard to see Dons NOT getting a penalty. They got two against us last week!

I really hope I'm wrong but it's what I've been seeing so far this season and I fear today's events will contrive to go against us and at 3/1 to go through, the bet has to be Aberdeen.

No Brewinupastorm in the PP Gold Cup, Paul.

FWIW, I backed Slate House for the race yesterday. Not one to entirely trust, but FTO the time to get him, imo.
He was meant to run at Wetherby yesterday as a prep for the Hennessy according to the Tizz stable tour. Not quite sure what happened with that plan though as there was no sign of him.

I don’t expect Brewinupastorm to have a tough race today. I’d imagine this is a fitness and jumping exercise for the Paddy Power Gold Cup in a couple of weeks where I have him backed and fancy him strongly. They won’t want to ruin his mark either. A trot around for some place prize money is more likely the ambition today.

Similar comments apply to Black Op who probably has this as a stepping stone for the Hennessy. They also won’t want to blow his mark.

Sam Brown and Windsor Avenue Are unexposed and may well play a hand here. I suspect both will be trying. Anthony Honeyball has his string well forward, and Brian Ellison has given Windsor Avenue the wind op. If the other three aren’t right on their game you couldn’t discount a boilover.

Given Kim Bailey’s form though, and that he’ll want to give Imperial Aura a proper campaign to see if he’s a Ryanair horse, I suspect he’s the one today. I don’t think they’ll want him beat today, so I reckon he’ll be spot on and he’ll win.
If my facts had been right, that would have been a really impressive preview given the result! :lol:

It is with a very heavy heart that I have taken sickness insurance on Aberdeen to foil Celtic's bid to return to Hampden next month to secure the quadruple treble.

Expect Celtic to get nothing from today's officials.

We should still be good enough to beat the Dons who fancy themselves as hard men. Guys like Ferguson and Cosgrave will be allowed to elbow their way through the game with impunity. Both can dive in a way that makes Tom Daly look like a top-bomber so it's hard to see Dons NOT getting a penalty. They got two against us last week!

I really hope I'm wrong but it's what I've been seeing so far this season and I fear today's events will contrive to go against us and at 3/1 to go through, the bet has to be Aberdeen.

Mightily relieved to have defied both Aberdeen and the ref. We totally dominated the first half and could have been further clear at the break. Surprised we got as far as the 38th minute before the ref showed the first yellow. Needless to say it was against Celtic for a nothing tackle. It was shortly after that we got our first free kick of the game!

The second half was about controlling the game, which I thought we did fairly comfortably. Bain never had a save to make in the entire game.

I have never seen a team dive like Aberdeen. Anywhere. Ever. Any contact and they're somersaulting and shrieking. No wonder they have the most penalty awards in Scotland. They must have got half a dozen free kicks that should never have been given just in those circumstances alone. You have to wonder how much time they spend on the training ground practising that 'skill'. Fortunately they were hardly in our box for it to matter.

That's Celtic one win away from a historic quadruple treble.

Glamorous Anna 2.30L progressed enough this season to finish close 3rd in a Newbury gp3, despite not lasting out the full distance. Her last run can be ignored as she took on 2 smart horses from the outset, and ove an extra furlong.
Current 12/1 is too big to miss.

Tawny Port 6.50K was most unlucky on his last run over this C&D. Bumped when leaving the stalls, his claimer took a while to get him balanced, then flew down the outside when he got a clear run.
Has been absent for a while, but, with an experienced jockey and a decent draw, has to be worth chancing at the general 33/1.

Pitcher's Point 3.00L is basically a speed horse, yet has drifted to the price he isowing to an indifferent run around a stiff Sandown. Lingfields sharp circuit is much more his bag, and is fully expected to show these the way home today.
5/1 generally.

A horse I thought was going places last season, Allardyce, is out tomorrow in the 12:47 at Thurles.

Worth a go.

It's exciting when two tracker horses are in the same race isn't it:blink:

Anyway, in the Pertemps Quali at Newbury today I've dutched Kateson and Third Wind. The former had very good novice form before being a bit meh over fences but he was eye catching in his last start last season back over timber. I like this step up in trip for him. Third Wind was one of the horses that caught my eye when I re-watched the entire Festival a couple of weeks back.

I’m keen on Dolphin Square for this race. Admirably consistent including two good runs over C&D and doesn’t have the penalty of the owner in the saddle today (although some would say having Dickie up is a penalty itself these days [emoji3])
Kicking myself for not taking the 8/1 that was available last night and have taken 11/2 BOG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm flagging up a recent market mover, called Lady Lingo, in the 1:22 at Thurles today.

Available at 25's on the opening shows last night, I managed to take 14's.

Sh's been 16's all of today, but was recently cut to as low as 8's across the boards, so looks like someone's had a good bet on her each way.

I've told forum resident Moehat. I know she likes these market movers in Ireland.

Last edited:
I’m keen on Dolphin Square for this race. Admirably consistent including two good runs over C&D and doesn’t have the penalty of the owner in the saddle today (although some would say having Dickie up is a penalty itself these days [emoji3])
Kicking myself for not taking the 8/1 that was available last night and have taken 11/2 BOG

That f***ing Pipe dodgepot

Fontwell

2:35 I reckon Shintori is a nice price to bet on, returning from a break after a first time wind operation. He holds a twenty percent win strike rate, (3/15) over fences thus far so he's not a untalented horse on his day. Nick Schofield has ridden him before too. He also looks quite nicely treated in the handicap. I suppose with only the seven runners its a dodgy each way race, though I reckon he can get in the first two.

3:10 Taking a chance on Mahlers Promise who is another horse at fair odds that has shown some ability in a limited novice hurdle career thus far. He's been chucked in a handicap hurdle tomorrow but can run a big race.

Good luck, sorry if anyone followed the two i put on here today, I should have known better.

Last edited:
National League 4.00N/c has improved since the visor was fitted, and takes a substantial drop in class today. Step up in trip and new surface both look to be within his compass.
11/2 B365

Fontwell

2:35 I reckon Shintori is a nice price to bet on, returning from a break after a first time wind operation. He holds a twenty percent win strike rate, (3/15) over fences thus far so he's not a untalented horse on his day. Nick Schofield has ridden him before too. He also looks quite nicely treated in the handicap. I suppose with only the seven runners its a dodgy each way race, though I reckon he can get in the first two.

3:10 Taking a chance on Mahlers Promise who is another horse at fair odds that has shown some ability in a limited novice hurdle career thus far. He's been chucked in a handicap hurdle tomorrow but can run a big race.

I took 14's and 12's on these last night, now 6's and 5's, so happy about that, I've beaten the odds by the looks of it.

Good luck Placebacker and Reet with yours today.

In Shintori's race plenty of support for the Victor Dartnall/JP horse aswell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back