World Hurdle 2015

Hardy Eustace was a beautiful little horse; not that I know much about coformation and suchlike but he always looked a proper hurdler.

Don't be daft.....Basically most good horses look good to not so good to the layman and confirmation is not something you even realise you are looking at.

A man looks at a woman or vise versa they either find them attractive or not or if they look strong or athletic or not........it's basically much the same.

If you say he was a beautiful horse most likely he was... I personally have never seen him other than on video.

I was reffering to those silly blinkers and the fact is I have no idea what he looked like without them

Noel Fehily not the kind of jockey to do the wrong thing by his horse.
Tom Hogan said after his County Hurdle win on Silver Jaro that NF was one of the best jockeys riding.
Not a lot has changed since.

Another of example was when Matty Batchelor was off injured Noel got the spare ride on Carruthers , after finishing 3rd in a chase at Cheltenham, Noel got off the horse and told the trainer he needed a tongue strap. Needless to say he won the Hennessey with his next run , even with Matty back on top.

All in all a top class jock, still can't believe Nicholls didn't empoly him after Rubys departure .

He was in the parade of retired racehorses at Cheltenham one year and looked a picture. But I'd always thought him to be a most attractive horse prior to that [sans blinkers of course].

My fear exactly but I must admit I am getting a bit sick of being wrong about Rock On Ruby...everytime I think he has no chance he bounces back and wins.

It's hard to him not running a good race in the World Hurdle as he has the class to beat them all.

I think they'd be nuts to ride him any differently........As Rory delargy has pointed out on numerous occasions if they are going to stay they will stay if not holding them up is not going to change that. I reckon that would apply even more in a race like the World Hurdle

Not sure that I'd agree with the general point, but Harry Fry did confirm (yesterday's ML) that ROR would be ridden positively when he goes for this.

Nomadic Way finished second twice, much to my chagrin before winning the then stayers but Hardy Eustace was arguably a better champion and yet was beaten out of sight in the longer race and he'd also won a RSA (Neptune).

When Hardly Useless ran in the Stayers hurdle he was 11 years old with 37 grueling races behind him and most of them were battle royals against top class oposition. Nomadic Way was only a 7 year old.

Last edited:
I'm half expecting to see that headline some day soon....."More Of That to miss Cheltenham".

Hope i'm wrong, but 1 (poor) run for the season and no (none that i've seen) updates since. It doesn't inspire confidence.

However, I do not doubt that the horse has a lot going for him in so far as being very genuine, straight forward and having a trainer who can get him ready for the big day. I really hope he lines up. Without him, the race is lacking any major substance. If he's back to his best, he'll hack all over this lot.

4/1 NRNB is more than fair and could well look a silly price in the aftermath of the race.

Latest entries

WH_zps18e26869.jpg

What does WP do now with Annie Power ?
Glens Melody could have Mares Hurdle covered if he so wishes...

It's a great question Edgt. It would be a tough ask to go for the World Hurdle after a year off and they seem reluctant; on last year's form she would have a lve chance. It's never the strongest Grade I (but will never be the weakest while the Mares hurdle is around!)

Poor race. AFC is gone at the game. MoT looks to have a decent chance now the stable is back in form, and SdR looks an improver. Those would be my two against the field - no prizes for originality!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this is still a decent race despite being so open. We still don't really know how good Saphir De Rheu, Lieutenant Colonel, Blue Fashion and Whisper (Is he going to run in this? Looks like they could keep his novice chase status) are over staying distances and the likes of Reve, Rock on Ruby and Monksland give the race a solid feel. Still a race to look forward to.

Seems to me the forgotten horse is Beat That

He wasn't exactly over raced last year and has only been seen once this season.

Hardly surprising where Nicky Henderson is concerned especially as he thinks he could be a Gold Cup horse in the future.

Barry Geraghty pinpointed him as his fav horse in the yard bar one but chose to ride Vaniteux stating Beat That would need the run.

Henderson is a creature of habit and it wasn't just the run he was after he wanted to know if the horse would handle the course.

I think it safe to say he did that and more. He ran much better than could be expected and was bang there until blowing up.

Blue Fashion was highly tried against Faugheen and Henderson has spoken highly of the horse but again his future is over fences.
He finished 2nd to Faugheen that day or was it he finished 5 length in front of Lac Fontana which is a totally different thing?

Obviously he's not in Faugheen's league it was a prep run for the future and a good one.

It's his previous run that I am not so sure about. He's given More of That 6lbs and he's only been beaten 2 lengths ?

That form looks good enough to win the World hurdle but the only problem is Jonjo didn't even think More of That was a World Hurdle winner at that point.

More of That's next race in the Relkeel was different gravy and a big step up in class. He had gone up a massive 15 lbs in a month

Glen's Melody went of favourite but More of That showed even more improvement and beat the 153 rated Salubrious easily.

More of That had improved 30 lbs in a month according to the handicapper and somewhere in between that 130 and 160 came Blue Fashions 2nd

He improved so fast who knows what that 2nd is worth in real terms. The 3rd won next time out and ran 3rd in the Morebattle Hurdle.

The market gives no indication which horse is Henderson's number 1 contender.

It could be Whisper, Beat That or Blue Fashion but my money is on Beat That.

If you had asked BG which one he wanted to ride before the season started he'd have said Beat That in a flash
I really don't see anything that has happened to change his mind but that of course doesn't make it so.

I had a bet on Beat That AP hoping Barry Geraghty puts the leg over.

Strangeway to be preparing a horse for Cheltenham but then NJH has been up this road so many times

The last time he won the race Bacchanal had only 2 runs that season before winning it.

If Henderson's recent comments are any barometer, then Geraghty will probably be riding Blue Fashion. The comments came shortly after Beat That was hammered out of sight in the 20f hurdle on NYD (where Geraghty preferred Vaniteaux).

Basically, that Beat That bet that you had is beat. :p

If Henderson's recent comments are any barometer, then Geraghty will probably be riding Blue Fashion. The comments came shortly after Beat That was hammered out of sight in the 20f hurdle on NYD (where Geraghty preferred Vaniteaux).

Basically, that Beat That bet that you had is beat. :p

The Blue suit is ready for WH day. HOW FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Price? He looks to have won some soft races to me and I prefer Monksland. 16s NRNB in such a wide open renewal is very fair

33's and 25

I can't imagine Monksland giving his previous year or two relishing what will likely be the quickest ground he has experienced improving at Cheltenham. Would be an amazing training performance, but given his profile and given LC's, I am very happy to play on the side of the younger horse.

Ground would be my only concern with LC. Progressive horse who improved with the step up in trip. Like how he finished the Dec race, it is a long old run in at Leopardstown and he wasn't stopping.

Last edited:
Back