CHampions Day - Ascot

I took EW
123 1/5

in Frankel is a non runner is an excellent bet

I cant see any of the field bar Frankel getting to cirrus to 5 lengths

I will wait on the day on the ground to see what more I do

if 7 runners the EW will be only for the first 2

I backed him ante-post last year (believe a few others on here did as well Euro was definitely one) but hE drifted out to a ridiculous price on the day....was a strange feeling watching him win...will he drift again...I love the horse but 4/1 to beat Frankel...mmmm

last year people didnt believe the form

frankel is the best horse I have seen but on heavy ground Cirrus at 4/1 is a bet in any place in any company.

last year people didnt believe the form

Some didn't believe it but most didn't even know it. Dubai Prince was like three points shorter.

I have an average price of 10s for Saturday and will top up on the day. The Frankel hype machine will ensure he won't get too short. The RP Weekender this week has it's front page in Frankel's colours.

I amb looking at met office local for ascot. Not much forecast rain right there, if any. Either way will someone explain to me why a horse with frankels action and breeding is not going to go on soft ground without any evidence to the contrary ? Please ?

Stamina ? Does it really look like 10f opn good is his limit ?

Some didn't believe it but most didn't even know it. Dubai Prince was like three points shorter.

I have an average price of 10s for Saturday and will top up on the day. The Frankel hype machine will ensure he won't get too short. The RP Weekender this week has it's front page in Frankel's colours.

I think Cirrus will drift and will be 8s+ in the win market on Saturday.

Stamina ? Does it really look like 10f opn good is his limit ?

His not a question of "his limit" but of how near he can perform to his best over a gruelling 10f. Don't forget he was kept to 1m for an inordinate length of time, and his first 10f venture was chosen very carefully.
A heavy ground Ascot is a very different test to a fast ground York, and former Leger fancy Nathaniel looks sure to exploit the one aspect where Frankel is unproven.

Yes reet. But the hoped for heavy ground is not looking that likely now. Even with whatever rain, its quite warm and breezy down here too

Has it also been considered that he might actually (with that big pwoerful stride and action) actually be at an advantage over longer and with cut? I wouldnt discount that at all

yes it has been considered Clive..yesterday..don't you read the posts?:)

but it appears having a big high stride action isn't suited to slow ground :blink:

Euro..hype machine?..about Frankel?...one horse in history where that word definately does not apply

Last edited:
I read yours ec which followed mine :). We are on the same page here.

Yes. If we cant talk up this horse then wtf

Last edited:
Are you or any other forumites going? Be up for a small meet up before racing.

I won't be going this year, otherwise it would have been nice to say hello. Another contingent from here will presumably be at Cheltenham with flags and bunting for the Edward Gillespie Hands Over The Reins Hurdle.

Euro..hype machine?..about Frankel?...one horse in history where that word definately does not apply

Hype isn't always undeserved. In can be to create an interest by using flamboyant or dramatic methods or exaggerated publicity; hoopla. I go with the former.

Champions Day my arse - look at the fields bar Frankels race - a glorified bumper - a glorified Wokingham and a poor realtion of the Prix deL'opera. Mile race looks weak too with the exception of Excelebration..

Agree about the first two races but thought the F&M race was a good field with the first four in this years oaks, the best 3yo filly in the UK, one of Ireland's best older fillies and last years winner (who also won the oaks) lining up. And it's a Group 2. The QEII is a UK re-run of the Jacques Le Marois.

The Champion is a cracker though. This is the best field Frankel has faced and though I can't back him, I hope he wins.

Pastorius' best performance this year was over 10f on soft ground; is he being underestimated at 33/1? It wouldn't surprise me if he ran in to a place.

Massively IMO Aragorn - if I knew he was a certain/intended runner and I could get on with them I'd be all over Boyles 33's 3 places :)

Also won the German Derby too - trip is further but the horse relishes the bottomless ground and the only way it could be more suitable is if they switched the race to Punchestown tomorrow ;)

He could end up top European 3yo after the Champion if he did place.

I was impressed with him.

000embabyfist.gif

i think you are trying to twist what i'm saying..i never said that Frankel's performance in the Lockinge was better than HW's. I said that Frankel would beat HW even on that run...i never mentioned Frankel's lockinge

What I believe is that Frankel is in a group of horses that have proved brilliant at a mile and that he is probably even better at 10 furlongs (although on the evidence of one race that is a hard thing to say). I not trying to twist anything you say as you will have your own ideas and I have no interest whatsoever in doing so.

What is clear is that other milers have run races at the trip that have been as brilliant as anything Frankel has done. I personally doubt that he has achieved a higher level of performance at a mile than the likes of Brigadier Gerard or Tudor Minstrel for example and horses like Hawk Wing and Zafonic can match him at that trip in isolated cases. I do think that Frankel may be even better than we have seen and lament the fact that they are only now realising his true potential is at middle distances.

Last edited:
I cannot see anyhow queally will sit back in this race,the humility of sitting to far back and then not picking up makes it a certainty he will be ridden closer on this ground.So it will hopefully be a truely run race,will he prefer softer ground unlikely i wouldv'e thought but hopefully he hasn't shown his best yet!!:ninja:

5mm last night. Ground this morning was soft, and very close to being soft to heavy. It is drying at the moment.

Another spell of rain is due tonight. Anything from 5mm to 7mm is forecast (although I forecast a bit less).

More rain could be due on Friday night. I'd say the area could get 10mm from that.

It looks like being soft ground for sure, with heavy a possibillity if a lot falls tonight or Friday.

met office says different. Probably no more or very little rain by Sat and i can tell you from here that its breezy and warm too

I will be surprised if its heavy on Say. No that that will matter anyway

Back