Godolphin

You can't be serious. If you're seriously thinking they can improve their jockey, or even he is partly responsible for their poor form in recent years, i would think you are not seeing the bigger picture.

Is the picture to which you refer (in whole or in part)the one which includes winning a Derby when all the other top contenders appeared to be serving bans at the time. Or am I confusing this with a different kind of Classic? Help to verify please.

By Jon Lees9.45AM 12 JUN 2009
GODOLPHIN have recruited nine horses from Sheikh Mohammed's Australian operation that could be raced in Britain by next season.

Eight of trainer Peter Snowden's team, including Group 1 winner Sousa, and one horse from the stable of Lee Freedman, the talented Time Thief, are to head to Dubai to be prepared for the 2010 Dubai Carnival.

The other horses that will join Saeed Bin Suroor are Aichi, El Cambio, Fravashi, Desuetude, Caymans, Imvula and Marching, who are all established Group race performers.

John Ferguson, Sheikh Mohammed's bloodstock advisor, told Australia's Racing and Sports that the decision to take a group of high quality horses from Snowden and Freedman was a compliment to Australian racing.

"This decision by Sheikh Mohammed to race nine graduates from Peter Snowden and Lee Freedman's stables on the world stage is a massive compliment to everybody associated with racing our team in Australia, from Peter and Lee to the staff who work in their stables," Ferguson said.

"It is also verification that the Australian racehorses are among the best in the world."

Ferguson added the plan was to race the nine horses in Dubai and then send them on to the Godolphin stable in the UK for the 2010 season.

"The first target will be the 2010 Meydan World Cup meeting in Dubai, followed by Royal Ascot and other big events around the world next year," he said.

From The Guardian...

It may have been the lowest moment in the history of Godolphin, Sheikh Mohammed's once dominant racing stable that has struggled for success in recent seasons. Nine days ago, on the eve of the Derby, two runners carried the famous royal blue silks in a Listed race at Goodwood, the prize money for which was a tiny fraction of that for the next day's Classic. They finished last and second-last. One of the Godolphin pair, Crime Scene, who had started second-favourite, was beaten more than 60 lengths.
Every stable has difficult months, or even whole seasons. This is worse. Despite being bankrolled by the Sheikh's billions, Godolphin are falling short at the highest level in Britain for the third time in four years, leaving observers to wonder if this is simply the way things are going to be from now on. Indeed, there is a case for saying it has never been this bad: the stable's strike-rate is running at 14%, having only once dipped below 19% in previous seasons.
Whether Sheikh Mohammed is particularly concerned by this slump is open to question. He appeared unruffled when this paper last put the focus on Godolphin's failings two summers ago, saying: "I have a great team and I think my team is the best in the world. I am very happy with them. This is a free country and people can write what they want."
Then again, it was easy to be philosophical in the winner's enclosure at Glorious Goodwood, where Sheikh Mohammed made those comments after winning the Sussex Stakes with Ramonti. He would surely welcome a similar piece of good timing from his runners at Royal Ascot this week.
The Royal meeting has been good to Godolphin, delivering 28 winners since 1995, though only three over the last four years. When Ramonti won there in 2007, he was giving Sheikh Mohammed's team their first success in a British Group One race for almost two years. Twelve months later, there was again relief when the stable's long-serving jockey Frankie Dettori finally rode a Godolphin winner on the Friday of the Royal meeting. "I have got ripped the last three days," he said. "Ryan Moore has been giving it to me – even Princess Anne gave me a bit of stick. It's nice to get one on the board."
The Princess Royal may have another chance to twist Dettori's tail this week, when Godolphin's main hopes rest with Alexandros and Gladiatorus in Tuesday's Queen Anne Stakes, the meeting's first race. Gladiatorus is likely to start favourite, though Dettori has surprisingly been "jocked off" by the young apprentice Ahmed Ajtebi and will instead ride Alexandros. Defeat for both would probably mean a blank Royal Ascot for the yard, for only the second time in 15 years.
"We'll be happy if we can get a winner," says Godolphin's racing manager, Simon Crisford, who has got into the habit of sounding cautious. That ambition is embarrassingly limited when set alongside the feats achieved by Godolphin in their heyday – more than 50 successes at the highest level in Britain alone, including 11 Classics and four King George victories. Godolphin have been champion owners seven times, while their trainer, Saeed bin Suroor, has been top four times.
Crisford's claim that the operation enjoys "massive public support" seems overstated but the royal blue colours are associated by racing aficionados with some thrilling equine heroics: Balanchine beating the colts in the Irish Derby, Dubai Millennium hacking up by eight lengths in the Prince of Wales's Stakes, the flashy grey Daylami becoming the first horse from Europe to win a Breeders' Cup race in the sapping humidity of Gulfstream Park, Florida.
Daylami achieved fame after being switched to Godolphin at the end of his three-year-old year, but recently a worrying number of horses have seemed to regress after joining the yard from elsewhere. Literato provides a breathtaking example. From 11 starts for Jean-Claude Rouget, he won nine times, including the Champion Stakes, and was second twice. He then joined Godolphin, flopped twice in two starts and was rushed off to stud.
This season, Donativum and Copperbeech have had only one run each for Bin Suroor, but neither came anywhere near the form they showed for John Gosden and André Fabre last year. Meanwhile, Suba, beaten on all three starts for Godolphin last year, promptly won on her first start for a different trainer this month.
Of even greater concern is the frequency with which Godolphin's most promising horses are struck down by injury. Fast Company was acquired at the end of 2007, Skanky Biscuit was purchased the following year, both Classic prospects after impressing as two-year-olds. But neither has been seen in public since. Creachadoir, the only winner of a European Group One for Godolphin since October 2007, has run only once in the past year and Crisford now accepts that the horse is unlikely to race again.
Among their other classy animals to have spent time on the sidelines is McCartney, a Group Two winner as a juvenile with Mark Johnston who has carried the royal blue silks just twice, being well beaten both times. Crisford insists it would be a mistake to draw the conclusion that his team are a little cack-handed when it comes to nurturing fragile talent. "Injuries happen everywhere," he says. "They're flesh and blood, they're not machines."
Similarly short shrift is given to the suggestion that fortunes have followed a decline in the quality of training personnel. Though Bin Suroor has been a fixture, he was formerly supported by able assistant trainers Jeremy Noseda and then Tom Albertrani, both of whom now have their own yards. Talented professionals such as these are hard to replace and the suggestion is made by one insider that Godolphin are missing them.
"That's completely wrong," says Crisford. "The year after [Albertrani] left, in 2004, Saeed was champion trainer, we had a really good Royal Ascot and we won more prize money than anyone had ever done before. It's completely unfair to even begin to suggest something like that. The personnel we have now are exactly the same as when we were doing everything."
Crisford's clear message is that the present situation can be blamed on a lack of quality among the horses, not the humans. The basic problem, he says, is that Godolphin have not had a genuine Classic contender since Dubawi and Shamardal four years ago.
"I've said we were having a disappointing season but we haven't been disappointed because when we were coming into bat, we knew what cards we had in our hand. And I don't think punters will have been disappointed because they know that every Godolphin runner is trying for its life and, if it's 25–1, there's a reason for that. What is disappointing is that a good horse didn't come through the programme."
But if the horses have just not been good enough, then someone is responsible for wasting a lot of money, most notably the $9.7m spent on Jalil, who won a Ripon maiden at the third attempt, and the $9.2m on Plavius, whose 10 starts have yielded £22,681 in prize money. Then there was the reported £6m handed over for Kite Wood in January, in the hope that he would be a Derby contender. A 14–1 shot at the time, he started at twice those odds at Epsom and finished ninth.
This is not to say that Sheikh Mohammed no longer knows how to buy a good horse. On the contrary, two of his purchases paid off spectacularly last year, when New Approach won the Derby and Raven's Pass the Breeders' Cup Classic. But neither ended up with Godolphin – both stayed with their original trainers, raced in the colours of the sheikh's wife, Princess Haya, and were retired to his Darley stud at the age of three in the autumn.
Either could have raced on for Godolphin this year but the sheikh has decided his most pressing need is for top quality stallions. He has spent heavily to recruit other stallion prospects, including the 2007 Derby winner, Authorized, and the former champion two-year-old Teofilo. That investment would be unnecessary if he could bring himself to end his boycott of stallions owned by the Irish bloodstock giant Coolmore, with whom he had a final falling-out four years ago. Coolmore dominate the market and had five of last year's top six sires. Starved of access to those bloodlines, it is little wonder that Godolphin have struggled.
It will be years before we learn whether Sheikh Mohammed has acquired stallions of sufficient potency to allow his operation to compete at the highest level once more, but Crisford believes Godolphin are "running into a really exciting stage" in their development. He describes "a new system" under which most of their two-year-olds are now trained by Gosden, Fabre and Mark Johnston, who will identify the best and pass them on to Bin Suroor for the following season. That, he believes, will restore the focus lost by Godolphin over the last five years, when their Newmarket yard, which has 220 horses in training, has been overrun with young horses.
"You can't just judge us because we didn't win the Derby," he says. "It didn't happen this year but it will happen and we are happy with our house. I think some people tend to imagine that every horse we run has to be a superstar – that's not realistic. We will get back to being an elite stable but it's not going to happen overnight."

By Jon Lees9.45AM 12 JUN 2009
GODOLPHIN have recruited nine horses from Sheikh Mohammed's Australian operation that could be raced in Britain by next season.

Eight of trainer Peter Snowden's team, including Group 1 winner Sousa, and one horse from the stable of Lee Freedman, the talented Time Thief, are to head to Dubai to be prepared for the 2010 Dubai Carnival.

The other horses that will join Saeed Bin Suroor are Aichi, El Cambio, Fravashi, Desuetude, Caymans, Imvula and Marching, who are all established Group race performers.

John Ferguson, Sheikh Mohammed's bloodstock advisor, told Australia's Racing and Sports that the decision to take a group of high quality horses from Snowden and Freedman was a compliment to Australian racing.

"This decision by Sheikh Mohammed to race nine graduates from Peter Snowden and Lee Freedman's stables on the world stage is a massive compliment to everybody associated with racing our team in Australia, from Peter and Lee to the staff who work in their stables," Ferguson said.

"It is also verification that the Australian racehorses are among the best in the world."

Ferguson added the plan was to race the nine horses in Dubai and then send them on to the Godolphin stable in the UK for the 2010 season.

"The first target will be the 2010 Meydan World Cup meeting in Dubai, followed by Royal Ascot and other big events around the world next year," he said.

Personally I think they are wasting their time. All nine horses are better off in Australia, where they actually would make far more money than in Europe, because the prizemoney here is much higher. These are definitely not the best horses in Australia, far far far from it. It blows my mind away why they are bothering, but they are..........

Sousa is the best of the nine, having won the Group 1 Spring Champion Stakes over 10f last spring. The only decent horse in that field was Predatory Pricer (the 1/2 brother to Takeover Target, who is now forging himself as a staying star), however his autumn runs were less than inspiring, with his 2 best performances being a 2nd placing in the Group 1 Rosehill Guineas over the 10f and 4th in the Group 1 AJC Derby over the 12f. He also made his debut at WFA, running 7.2 lengths Last in the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes over the 10f.

Time Thief would be the one I'd follow out of the entire nine. Lightly raced prospect, who still has the best ahead of him. He was placed 2nd in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas over the mile to Whobegotyou and won first up after 15 weeks over 6f in the Listed Zeditave Stakes defeating Fravashi (who will also be joining him). He then placed 3rd in the WFA Group 1 Australia Stakes over 6f to one of the best sprinters in the world, Apache Cat. Unfortunately he did not handle the Handicap conditions of the Newmarket Handicap, and ran 13th in a field of 22 to Scenic Blast, around 5.4 Lengths from the winner. Not sure what happened that day, because he was not mentioned in the stewards report. But still believe he is a WFA horse.

Aichi one of those animals I have a lot of time for. One would that would be better placed in Australia, because he seems the type that would suit the Handicap conditions, which he has proven. Also without doubt the most honest horse racing, because he was competitive enough to run with the older horses from October onwards, a pretty good effort for a 3yo. He ran 3rd in the Newmarket Handicap 6f to Scenic Blast, finishing 1.2 Lengths to the winner. During the spring he won the Group 3 Danehill Stakes over 6f down the straight at Flemington, and most recently won the Listed Gosford Guineas. I guess he would be the type of horse they would be aiming for Royal Ascot. Not sure if he is good enough, but he is the King of Consistency.

They are my picks of the nine.

I am still lost for words with why they would want to try Marching, El Cambio and in particular Imvula overseas.

Marching is a lovely horse, jet black or almost. He is still an entire, but he is the most inconsistent horse racing in Australasia. To his credit he has run 3rd in the VRC Derby over 12 1/2f in 2007, 3rd in the Caulfield Guineas over the mile in 2007, 2nd in the Australian Guineas over the mile in 2008. His form from March 2008 to October 2008 was dismal, to say the least, when his best performance was a 6th placing. His form has been a bit more consistent since November of 2008, where has managed to run 2nd in all starts bar a 9th placing. But still I don't think he is good enough to run in races any better than Listed.

El Cambio reminds me of Aichi, but is now a 4yo, who's form has sadly tapered off since October of 2008. Also we never got to see the best of this horse, because sadly, when the Horse Flu hit he was stuck in Sydney, and unable to compete in the spring of that year, so was out for almost 8 months. However he has won over $800,000 in prizemoney and several stakes races. But by the time he debuts overseas, he will be 6. Yesterday he was unplaced on a country track in QLD in Listed company. Another than would be better off staying in Australia.

Imvula um, what can one say about this horse without sounding too patronising :ninja:. Well lets just say he is very inconsistent and would be better off being kept on the Australian country race circuit where in 6 to 12 months time he could possibly make it and break it. I am thinking Heritage horse for Britain, and still I think I am pushing it by saying that.

Fravashi a nice colt, but hates running in between horses. Is a Group 2 winner and runner up in Group 1 company, but honestly.........not sure where they will place this horse.

Desuetude is a lovely roan coloured gelding. But is hard to follow, and has mixed his form since August of last year. Is a Listed winner.

Caymans, a lovely gelding who won the Group 2 Sandown Guineas over the mile last spring, and has placed in the big Group 1's this past autumn just been. But not sure where he will be placed.

If Sheikh Mohammed is really happy with the way things are then fine. I certainly wouldn't be. Crisford is deluding himself when he says there's no problem with personnel. Even allowing for the self-inflicted handicap of the boycott of Coolmore stallions there is a huge pool of potentially high-class horses available to this operation year in and year out and the almost total failure in recent times to achieve success at the highest level can only be attributable to failings in the team that the Sheikh has gathered around him.

He's too loyal by far. I'd be sacking a few people, myself.

How many of the 9 do you think we'll actually see make it to the racecourse? Terrible operation.

John Ferguson (who I don't know from a barrel of apples, in honesty) sounds like a brown-noser to me. Australian horses are brilliant in Australia, bred for the climate and the ground, just like South Africans are, for the same reason. SA horses tend to be lighter in build and cope better with Firm ground than slosh, dirt-bred US horses cope better with that surface than turf or even Polytrack, and so on. Never has the old adage 'horses for courses' been more true than today, where breeding for a type to do the job is essential. There are, naturally, a few stand-outs who make it onto the world stage, coping with the travel, and the changes of going and climate with blinding success, but I think JF's remarks are patronising, to say the least, to Australia's animals, and just smack of mouthpiecing. Jon Lees is merely reporting, it appears - not attempting to throw any informed insights, such as Grand Armee's, into the mix.

We're brainwashed constantly by sycophantic hacks and presenters that whatever Godolphin does and says must be met with unreserved acclamation - usually backed up by references to what the outfit's done for British racing (how many jobs, how much investment in property, effect on local economies, blah, blah), and racing here, there, and everywhere. Never a public mention of the sheer volume of turnover versus actual appearances on course. Just what does happen to all those foals and mares?

Article today in the paper about Godolphin sums them up to me. Im not convinced Mike Ashley isnt involved with this lot somewhere!!!

How many of the 9 do you think we'll actually see make it to the racecourse? Terrible operation.

I reckon you will see at least three of them appear. My predictions would be Aichi, Time Thief and Sousa. The latter two are still colts, so it would be most beneficial for them to appear.

sousa.jpg

SOUSA (photo courtesy of www.breednet.com.au)

Aichi2.jpg

AICHI (photo courtesy of www.racenet.com.au)

Marching_200.jpg

MARCHING (photo courtesy of www.stallions.com.au)

GS08_8708.JPG

IMVULA (photo courtesy of Racing And Sports)

svOVERSEAS_wideweb__470x336,0.jpg

TIME THIEF (photo courtesy of The Age)

RG09%20_4546.JPG

CAYMANS (photo courtesy of Racing And Sports)

250x300fravashi,0.jpg

FRAVASHI (photo courtesy of the Brisbane Times)

NEWMARKET09_5133.JPG

EL CAMBIO (photo courtesy of Racing And Sports)

RHIL2802_3253.JPG

DESUETUDE (photo courtesy of Racing And Sports)
modify_inline.gif

Thanks for the write up GA....imagine with Meydan opening next year Godolphin will go all out to have a huge team for the carnival and World Cup Night itself.

Back